Just listened to I Am Not A Dog On A Chain in full

I think a lot of people here are going to be thrilled with it. As I say, I’m an old fan who has trouble with him these days. I think Jim Jim Falls would have been an excellent lead single.

What Kind Of People ... has a similar vintage feel to The Bullfighter Dies but may divide people.

Once I Saw The River Clean is one I wonder about. It’s a proper 80s electro pop with guitar storytelling song. I can see it being one of those people love that the bastard never plays live!

His voice is really, really good throughout. He goes up an octave or two on The Secret Of Music which will really do it for a lot of fans.
I understand why you can’t leak it or why you wouldn’t want to but is there any chance of you recording a clip of something on you phone, for example and putting it up here? It’s pathetic I know but we’re an impatient bunch.

I understand why you can’t leak it or why you wouldn’t want to but is there any chance of you recording a clip of something on you phone, for example and putting it up here? It’s pathetic I know but we’re an impatient bunch.

Under no circumstances, sorry. I feel bad enough about posting out-of-context lyric snippets!

Last edited:
Under no circumstances, sorry. I feel bad enough about posting out-of-context lyric snippets!
Thanks very much for sharing your thoughts on this, lutewhine - most interesting. Especially since we seem of a similar opinion on his previous work (eg Israel, Maladjusted, Trouble Loves Me, album rankings etc). I personally don't mind the 80s synths (up to a point) but the tacky Space Invader sounds that Gustavo/Chiccarelli seem so fond of really grate on me and seem only to be there to detract from a lack of ideas. It's the lack of decent tunes I really despair of, though, as well as the cringeworthy lyrics with clunking cheesy/peasy rhymes. From what you're saying, this seems like a mixed bag on the lyric front. However, it sounds like this is a less 'political' album? Which, if so, has to be a blessing all round.

One further thought: you say the synths sound like they're there to make a point. I can't help wondering whether this is some sort of oblique stab at Johnny, who must have irked his ego no end by performing/singing Smiths songs lately with 'Who needs Morrissey anyway?' swagger - ie a 'who needs guitarists anyway?' riposte. Yes, I know he loved Sparks, and there are many other, probably more plausible reasons, but still.

The “teams” who leak these things do go to some lengths to cover their tracks though. Granted, I’m not sure the new Morrissey album is up there with the latest Star Wars film in terms of potential industry damage.

But yeah, somebody stick it on an anonymous Dropbox account please and let’s have a listening party before we all succumb to this darn virus.
most of the films have had their run in the cinema anyway.maybe theyr trying to protect best short adapted screenplay cinematographer from another universe.

Last edited:
The “teams” who leak these things do go to some lengths to cover their tracks though. Granted, I’m not sure the new Morrissey album is up there with the latest Star Wars film in terms of potential industry damage.

A monkey repairs kylo ren’s helmet.

I’m guessing its going to sound like:

tukka tukka shhh
tuk-ka tuk-ka shhh
tukka tukka shhh
tuk-ka tuk-ka shhh

Or something along those lines.
stick to your day job.and you say Ms lyrics are bad.

Last edited:
Those aren’t the lyrics. Thats how the music sounds.
sounds great now that you have explained it.cant get it out of my head now especially the tucka tucka shhhhh bit.

If "Israel" is your benchmark gem on LIHS, then one man's ceiling is another man's floor...it's your personal opinion...I have been unable to listen to LIHS after track 4.

Sounds like, though, as I thought, we are being fed the click bait, with better songs with deeper lyrics still on the album.

sounds great now that you have explained it.cant get it out of my head now especially the tucka tucka shhhhh bit.

No, “Can’t Get It Out Of My Head” goes like:

Duh
duh-duh duh
duh-duh duh
duh-duh duh
Duh

Duh
duh-duh duh
duh-duh duh
duh-duh duh
Duh

“Mid-night
on the wa-ter.
I saw
the ocean’s daugh-ter”

No, “Can’t Get It Out Of My Head” goes like:

Duh
duh-duh duh
duh-duh duh
duh-duh duh
Duh

Duh
duh-duh duh
duh-duh duh
duh-duh duh
Duh

“Mid-night
on the wa-ter.
I saw
the ocean’s daugh-ter”
its catchy but theres far too many duhs for my liking.water-daughter,must try harder.

One further thought: you say the synths sound like they're there to make a point. I can't help wondering whether this is some sort of oblique stab at Johnny, who must have irked his ego no end by performing/singing Smiths songs lately with 'Who needs Morrissey anyway?' swagger - ie a 'who needs guitarists anyway?' riposte. Yes, I know he loved Sparks, and there are many other, probably more plausible reasons, but still.

There was at some point last year a rumor that Johnny & Bernard were considering to revive Electronic. So this is Morrissey thinking "Why on earth would you need Electronic? All you need is ME". I like the idea of it being his Sparks-inspired record though.

Back
Top Bottom