Just listened to I Am Not A Dog On A Chain in full

If LIOIWO is the worst track, I’m thrilled. But it’s all so subjective so hey. But I truly couldn’t believe someone trashed ROTT as being worse than other, more recent albums. I mean Pigsty enough makes it better than YOR. And The Father Who, Dear God, those are good songs. Not a great album, but YOR, World Peace, ugh. World Peace was outright SAVED by Staircase for me. So if this album has 5-6 good songs, I’ll be happy.

If LIOIWO is the worst track, I’m thrilled. But it’s all so subjective so hey. But I truly couldn’t believe someone trashed ROTT as being worse than other, more recent albums. I mean Pigsty enough makes it better than YOR. And The Father Who, Dear God, those are good songs. Not a great album, but YOR, World Peace, ugh. World Peace was outright SAVED by Staircase for me. So if this album has 5-6 good songs, I’ll be happy.

See, I never understood the love for "Staircase" - I thought it was one of the weakest tracks on the album, and I almost always skip it and Smiler.

I've given myself a week or so away from this, but gave it another run-through in full today - it definitely rewards relistening.

Still holding firm around the 6.5/10 mark for me. Strangely, if Love Is On The Way Out wasn't on it, I'd probably be thinking more like 7.

Some more lyrics after another listen (apologies if I misheard any of these). Slightly random snatches, not all choruses by any means ...

I Am Not a Dog On a Chain
“I do not read newspapers
They are troublemakers
Listen out for what’s not shown to you
And there you’ll find the truth
In a civilised and careful way
They’ll sculptor all your views”

Once I Saw The River Clean
“I walked with my grandmother
Down a windblown Chester Road
With her 52 new pence
For her twenty No 10s
And my 45 pence to ... demand Metal Guru
Once with heart securely stacked
Then we walked all the way back”

My Hurling Days Are Done
“Time will mould you and craft you
But soon when you’re looming away it will sneak up and shaft you
Oh time ... time ... no friend of mine”

I Am Not a Dog On a Chain reminiscent of STDIB then from a theme point of view (stop reading the news cos the news contrives to frighten you)?
Once I Saw The River Clean - trip down memory lane with a reference to T. Rex with the Metal Guru; 20 "No.10s" relates to a brand of cigarettes popular at that time (there were No.6 & No.10 available in packets of 10s or 20s, just for info for those that didn't know). Basically cheap working class (no offence intended) brand of cigarettes.
My Hurling Days Are Done - reminiscent of You Know I Couldn't Last?

Last edited by a moderator:
On IANASOAC, that’s just one verse and stands out a bit from the rest of the lyrics. It’s going to surprise people with how gentle it starts, given the title.

My Hurling Days Are Done has a little of You Know I Couldn’t Last about it, but without the crunchy bits. There’s some sections with kids doing backing vocals that really reminded me of Ouija Board, Ouija Board. Sadly it’s nowhere near as good as either of those tracks, and I’m afraid it’s a limp old closer.

On IANASOAC, that’s just one verse and stands out a bit from the rest of the lyrics. It’s going to surprise people with how gentle it starts, given the title.

My Hurling Days Are Done has a little of You Know I Couldn’t Last about it, but without the crunchy bits. There’s some sections with kids doing backing vocals that really reminded me of Ouija Board, Ouija Board. Sadly it’s nowhere near as good as either of those tracks, and I’m afraid it’s a limp old closer.

Interesting, but as someone who thinks Ringleader is a work of genius I doubt I'll agree with any of your views. Life is a Pigsty is great, Anybody's Hero and You Could Have Killed Me aren't bad, but most of the rest is just dismal, mediocre, indie filler.

Sorry, are you saying I think ROTT is a work of genius? Because I really, really, really don’t.

I said earlier in the thread that the new record’s the best he’s done since that one, but qualified it by adding that it’s not exactly a high bar. It’s probably on a par with ROTT but with a lower peak, though more consistency overall, and less dreck. The filler here is a better standard of filler, essentially - they are songs that stand up to relistening rather than being completely throwaway.

Sorry, are you saying I think ROTT is a work of genius? Because I really, really, really don’t.

I said earlier in the thread that the new record’s the best he’s done since that one, but qualified it by adding that it’s not exactly a high bar. It’s probably on a par with ROTT but with a lower peak, though more consistency overall, and less dreck. The filler here is a better standard of filler, essentially - they are songs that stand up to relistening rather than being completely throwaway.

Ringleader (even the album title is crap!) is one of his very worst albums - all the subsequent ones are better, which is to damn with faint praise. So I'm unlikely to agree with your verdict of the new one. Good to hear some info on the new songs though so thanks for that.

Surely we’re going to get a leak at some point over the next few days. So many promo copies floating around now. He even handed a vinyl copy out at Leeds! Anybody know where the best place to check is?

Surely we’re going to get a leak at some point over the next few days. So many promo copies floating around now. He even handed a vinyl copy out at Leeds! Anybody know where the best place to check is?
I’m not sure but if it does leak, it will be up here in no time.

I've got my eye on the obvious torrent sites but nothing there yet.

Little clip of the studio version of ‘Once I saw the river clean’

Also this ? ‘My hurling days are done’ ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom