Kill Uncle keyboard/piano discussion

• Thread starter Deleted member 29227
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 29227

Maybe it's worth noting that his connection to Madness was based on something a bit more substantial than "a crush".

Morrissey admitted to being a Madness fan, and honestly that's hardly surprising. They were funny, unusual, political or, as he put it, not "standard pop fare".

In 1989 he started working with Madness producers Clive Langer and Alan Winstanley, with Langer quickly being drawn into "Morrissey World", as he would call it. (He basically took the spot previously held by Marr and Street, acting as Morrissey's buffer from and link to the outside world.)
They were his initial connection to the band, which led to Suggs and Cathal Smyth doing backing vocals on some songs and Bedders playing bass on Kill Uncle.

Madness themselves also had a history of clashing with their own crowd. In their early days, there was an incident of a support act being exposed to racist chants from the extreme right-wing skinhead portion of the audience and also people doing the Hitler salute.
Didn't one of the Madness chaps play piano on some of Moz's tracks?

Didn't one of the Madness chaps play piano on some of Moz's tracks?

Seamus Beaghan played piano/keyboards on Kill Uncle and had worked with Madness before, I think.

To be honest, I have no idea who struck the keys on those heavily Madness-inspired songs like Piccadilly Palare or Striptease With A Difference. Langer himself? Armstrong?

Does anyone else know perhaps?

Last edited:
Seamus Beaghan played piano/keyboards on Kill Uncle and had worked with Madness before, I think.

To be honest, I have no idea who struck the keys on those heavily Madness-inspired songs like Piccadilly Palare or Striptease With A Difference. Langer himself? Armstrong?

Does anyone else know perhaps?
PP was the one I was thinking of, but couldn't find anything to confirm, even on PJLM or Wiki. Guess you had the same result.

PP was the one I was thinking of, but couldn't find anything to confirm, even on PJLM or Wiki. Guess you had the same result.

For some reason I had always assumed it was Langer, but I know that it isn't credited anywhere on the record. Same with November Spawned A Monster and pretty much every other song featuring piano or keyboards from that era.

There's 2 to choose from. Seamus Beaghen obviously.

Hamill/Langer 15 mins... (re: KU):

"J: There was a notable shift from guitar to piano in this album.

C: I got Steve Nieve in and quirked it up a bit. But it was based on Mark Nevin’s guitar parts that he played really well. He probably would have been more inclined to do a Fairground Attraction kind of thing, and I wasn’t excited by that. Mark seemed to like everything we did, I never really argued with him. I just pushed it down the direction that I imagine the record should sound like."

And Steven Heart is credited too on KU.
The credits for these tracks - even when released later are woeful.
FWD.

There's 3 to choose from besides Langer.

Hamill/Langer 15 mins... (re: KU):

"J: There was a notable shift from guitar to piano in this album.

C: I got Steve Nieve in and quirked it up a bit. But it was based on Mark Nevin’s guitar parts that he played really well. He probably would have been more inclined to do a Fairground Attraction kind of thing, and I wasn’t excited by that. Mark seemed to like everything we did, I never really argued with him. I just pushed it down the direction that I imagine the record should sound like."

And Steven Heart is credited too.
FWD.

Apparently, Steven Heart is Steve Nieve, Moz seems to have given him the nickname (mentioned in Mozipedia). He and Seamus Beaghan played on the Kill Uncle material, both are credited on the sleeve.

There's a thread on here arguing that it was also Steve Nieve/Heart who accompanied Morrissey on I've Changed My Plea To Guilty on Jonathan Ross?

But Piccadilly Palare and the other non-album songs were recorded before Kill Uncle, so if they brought in Nieve for KU, it probably wasn't him.

Last edited:
Apparently, Steven Heart is Steve Nieve, Moz seems to have given him the nickname (mentioned in Mozipedia). He and Seamus Beaghan played on the Kill Uncle material, both are credited on the sleeve.

There's a thread on here arguing that it was also Steve Nieve/Heart who accompanied Morrissey on I've Changed My Plea To Guilty on Jonathan Ross?

But Piccadilly Palare and the other non-album songs were recorded before Kill Uncle, so if they brought in Nieve for KU, it probably wasn't him.
Yes, should say 2 choices. Just woken up. Not focusing enough to dive down rabbit holes or enter Google scholar mode...
Not sure why there's any debate about Steve on Ross - always seen it as him as he's in the credits!

20201013_151842.jpg

FWD.

Yes, should say 2 choices. Just woken up. Not focusing enough to dive down rabbit holes or enter Google scholar mode...
Not sure why there's any debate about Steve on Ross - always seen it as him as he's in the credits!

View attachment 59987
FWD.

I never paid attention to the credits. Shame on me.

So it's either Langer, Beaghan or Nieve playing on those tracks and to answer @Mozmar 's initial question:

Yes. 😅

Yep, that'll do, although we maybe need to apologise to Nerak for hijacking her 'folk devil' thread?

Yeah, we probably should.

Sorry.

Could @Famous when dead do a lift & shift of the off topic stuff, of which I'm partially guilty? Would be a shame to pollute Nerak's work.

Back
Top Bottom