Morrissey Central "Kirk, our hero" (December 9, 2019)

KIRK, OUR HERO
December 9, 2019

103 years old today !!!!!!!!

full

https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/kirk-our-hero

Small picture from Young Man With A Horn (with Doris Day, 1950):

With A Song In My Heart

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair dues to Kirk. I hope he is of sound mind and body. It's only last night I saw him in The Vikings. And in a documentary about Stanley Kubrick where it was inferred that Kirk had absolute power on Spartacus and 100% called the shots and had final cut.
I loved him in The Fury and in Paths Of Glory.

My god the fantasies I’ve had about that man. His son too. Both of them, me and Morrissey having animalistic sessions with World Peace Is None of Your Business playing in the background.

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

A longer post re: Kirk a while back:

"Kirk Douglas

Excuse my happiness. Yesterday I decided to take a stroll and I found myself walking alongside Kirk Douglas. It generally takes me 4 seconds to feel disturbingly ridiculous, but yesterday I broke my own record. Overcome by an indescribably modest humility, I suddenly felt like the fat half of a pair of bow-legged twins. I froze, my eyes welled-up, my feet sank into imaginary mud. Only Kirk Douglas could reduce me to such an irrational fear of breathing, but here it was. It was one of those very silly moments where we act on the second instinct whilst ignoring the first instinct, and of course, the second instinct always warns us to "do nothing." Too incurably demented to tap his shoulder and pledge eternal thanks and servitude, I stood and I watched as my hero walked away.

I am not alone in knowing how constantly robbed Kirk Douglas was of that voodoo doll known as the 'Oscar'. Yes, he was given obligatory recognition once the best years of his career had wound down, but his magnetic force and colossal onscreen assurance in Two weeks in another town, Lonely are the brave and The bad and the beautiful still stand as the best screen acting yet produced, in years when the Oscars, as usual, were awarded instead to the blandly servile. If you haven't yet seen the above three films then your life is nothing. In his prime, Kirk Douglas was far too sexually disagreeable, and represented the soul of the world far too accurately. It was a self-realization that cannot be manufactured - or even found for a second time, because its poetry is built on a very particular time and space - one that doesn't return. In fact, Kirk Douglas sometimes didn't act at all - he simply observed and played with those around him (the hardest trick of all.) If male desire is tension, then Kirk Douglas had this more than any other screen star - yes, King Kong included.

Last night I went to bed exhausted. But I couldn't sleep.

Morrissey
Los Angeles
22 February 2013"

Regards,
FWD.

I don’t know much about Kirk Douglas, but he did play Vincent very well.

I can’t imagine living that long.

My god the fantasies I’ve had about that man. His son too. Both of them, me and Morrissey having animalistic sessions with World Peace Is None of Your Business playing in the background.

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

This is what happens when you listen to too much George Michael, people.

When it comes to taste in music and actors you can tell that Moz is from a completely different generation and is way older and probably older than his age.

Back when actors were taught to sound like public service announcers using words and phrases you never heard in the real world even back then.

In Sweden they are called Dramaten (Stockholm dramatic theatre) actors who speak in a way that makes it not come across as natural or real in any way. Swedish acting still suffers greatly from this compared to danish actors who are the ones who deliver dialogue naturally.

Old movies are ridiculously funny if you study the way they talk which is why they were old even when new and not at all to be taken seriously cause they are art more than anything else and cannot compare with modern movies in that sense.

The theatre in a movie on the screen and many were of course adapted from theatre plays. Actors who came from teh theatre stage told to talk clear and loud and on film that just becomes annoying and unreal somehow.

Old movies were theatre plays full of theatre actors speaking in a very unnatural way that was pompous and quite silly.

This is just one example of bad acting:

Great acting at a theatre live but not in a movie. I am glad movies have moved on from those eccentric times.

I don’t know much about Kirk Douglas, but he did play Vincent very well.

I can’t imagine living that long.

You just cannot take acting like that seriously when they sound like they are on a theatre stage delivering some xmas play for small town people who just happen to be deaf.

Take Bergman and the difference between the delivery of dialogue when they are on a theatre stage in Fanny and Alexander and when they speak around family in their private life.

Old movie lovers are just confused people with a need to pop down to the old theatre for some old play performed for the millionth time by actors with an eye for a movie career.

When you deliver dialogue in a way that threatens to break the sound barrier you need better teachers.

Fair dues to Kirk. I hope he is of sound mind and body. It's only last night I saw him in The Vikings. And in a documentary about Stanley Kubrick where it was inferred that Kirk had absolute power on Spartacus and 100% called the shots and had final cut.
I loved him in The Fury and in Paths Of Glory.

Paths of Glory was great, but Lonely are the Brave is by far his best movie.

Please, Moz, stop posting here.
Hullo luv!

Finished the bon-bons and Damon is being a bitch as usual. Christmas at my mothers and that means no boom-boom for us as he sleeps in my old boy room.

I always sleep with mother.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom