Kirsty McColl with Boz

Phranc & Open

I've known no war
Kirsty MacColl with Boz

Just bought the "Caroline" 7" after the Berlin gig in a small record shop in Kreuzberg the other week. The flispside is "Irish Cousin" written by MacColl / Mark E. Nevin & produced by Boz. It reminds me a lot of the work Boz has done for Moz during the 94/95 period. Especially the guitar sound & noise effects. At home I red that the 12" of "Caroline" even has another Boz collabo (Butcher Boy) on it and that the next 7" "Perfect Day" was also produced (and partly played) by Boz. In 1995 I didn't even know that she was recording with Boz (no NME - no Melody Maker - no Internet).
Are there any more recordings of Boz / MacColl available and is Butcher Boy also worth buying the 12"?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.

Flicking through the booklet of "From Croydon to Cuba" .... "Irish Cousin" isn't mentioned or featured in the 3CD set that I have (but it is listed as a b-side to Caroline where Boz gets co-producer credit).

"I am Afraid" is on there, a previously unrealeased track produced by Kirsty and Boz, in the notes Boz says he thinks it was recorded at Townhouse Studios around the time of Butcher Boy during a session that also recorded "Perfect Day"
"Butcher Boy" is also on the CD, produced by Kirsty and Boz, a B side of "Caroline" , Spider Stacey (Pogues) plays penny whistle.
Boz co-produced Perfect Day with Kirsty (Boz is credited with the String arrangement) - initially conceived as a duet with Morrissey - "It was Morrissey who came up with the idea while we were sitting in a pub thinking of songs that would make a good duet" (Kirsty)

I can't see any other credits for Boz. Plenty for Johnny in there as well - which is always a bonus!

Dave

Kirsty, Martin & Johnny

Great informations, thanks!
After several spins of "Irish Cousin" I am really convinced this should have been recorded by Moz himself. It is a mixture of "Certain people I know" and some of the acoustic lighthearted stuff that is on Kill Uncle (Nevin) with some kind of Vauxhall production atmosphere in the background. Kirsty even refers to Morrisseys singing style with the line " I wouldn't put it past him".

Boz other collaborations are always worth looking for. "Won't take that talk" & "Gotta be a sin" from Adam Ants 1995 comeback approach are also great tunes.

A list of the Marr involvements (with Kirsty) would be fine too.

Meanwhile I try to find "Butcher Boy" and "I am afraid"....

Last edited:
Re: Kirsty, Martin & Johnny

I'll try to upload some Marr and Boz collaborations later...

Dave

As promised, some Kirsty MacColl -

Firstly 3 tracks with Boz (as discussed above) http://www.sendspace.com/file/7htgfo

Then 3 tracks with Johnny Marr - http://www.sendspace.com/file/2dsdz8 - You Just Haven't Earned it Yet Baby (Marr plays guitar. He has also said that he prefers Kirsty's version to that of The Smiths :) Kirsty said it was the story of her life), The End of A Perfect Day (co-written by MacColl and Marr - from the booklet it sounds like Johnny was playing round with guitar and Kirsty just picked up on it and it turned into a song), and Walking Down Madison (co-written by MacColl and Marr - Johnny was living in Kirsty's flat in Shepherds Bush at the time - he coined her the Electric Landlady and that was the name of her next album).

There are loads more tracks that Johnny co-wrote, produced or co-produced - you want to dig into it, buy the albums - Kite, Galore, Electric Landlady & Titanic Days are good places to start.

There is a pretty decent discography here http://www.gusworld.com.au/music/kirsty/albums.htm

Dave

Thanks again. You're welcome.
Meanwhile I got my hands on the CD-Single of "Caroline" and "Butcher Boy" has the same Boz/Moz influence circa 94/95. This workout of the traditional reminds me a lot of "Moonriver" & "I'd love to".
Johnnys contributions show again how dearly I do miss his presence in the recent Indie Pop scene. His work for The Cribs didn't reach me at all. The old collabos with The The, Electronic, Billy Bragg & Kirsty seem to fit him much much better.

I agree that Billy Bragg and Johnny worked well together. I've made posts and uploaded some of their stuff in the past. I also interviewed Billy (back in my student days) and he spoke very fondly of his time working with Johnny.

Dave

So you don't agree on the other artists he worked with? Electronic were quite good in the beginning and Matt Johnson has done a few good tracks with Mr. Maher. I recall "Armaggadon Day are here again" in a live version as a flispide of ab early Nineties Single which had some typical guitar licks.

A couple of years ago I tried to collect all of Johnny's output - to be honest most of it wasn't my cup of tea - there's no other reason for me to own a Pet Shop Boys or M People album :) - I can't say that The The stuck in my mind... sorry.

Johnny produced the second Marion album. The band remain one of my favourites, just wish Jamie could have kept himself straight...

Dave

Back
Top Bottom