"Kiss Me A Lot" official video directed by Sam Esty Rayner - TTY

TTY - Kiss Me A Lot Official Video directed by Sam Esty Rayner

As I read the name Sam Esty Rayner I feared the worst ... and what can I say ... it's even worse than I'd imagined. The boy knows nothing (unfortunately). Watch for yourself ...

http://true-to-you.net/

Re: Article: "Kiss Me A Lot" official video directed by Sam Esty Rayner - TTY

I think you're being very kind here. I don't believe a word of what you just typed is correct, but you're very kind and it takes strength to be gentle and kind.

Honestly this video is sort of making me hate the song, which is really sad because when I saw him perform it live a few weeks ago, I absolutely loved it and got a bit emotional. It's such a sorry mess. The only good thing is that Morrissey literally looks dreamy in that blazer type affair he's wearing.

Yeah that's a good blazer and he wears it well.

- - - Updated - - -

if it was a crap Vid then you could be right, and how beautiful does that make Morrissey? I would do the same! But, it is cool, all these commentators are possibly living in a terrace house in a cheap dull area, what the f would they know about anything slightly artistic? I think his nephew made it cool, in many respects and it will stand the test of time I think.

No it's a total piece of shit. :o All artists have bad art days where the project just doesn't come together and the vision gets lost in translation or whatever. Usually you scrap those projects. Maybe he felt pressure to give it to his uncle for some reason? :squiffy: Who knows. But it doesn't merit pretending it's good because it isn't. Morrissey would likely be just as critical of this video if it was Johnny Marr's new video or whatever.

Last edited:
Relax people, it's clearly a tongue-in-cheek video. It's just a bit ...well ... confused, but who knows if Morrissey wanted it that way? He does love to wind people up.

It's like the Robert Palmer video for Addicted to Love - making a point about women being used as sex objects in music videos, rather than having something to say (although, as much as I love Morrissey and this song, Palmer and his director did it better).

In this case, the women are bearing the title of the song in several different languages, but the only language people will see is "sex". It also provides a contrast between the intelligence of someone who is multilingual and the implied stupidity of women who strip off for 'entertainment' (having said that, such a contrast is now beyond parody, given what Page 3 of The Scum did with the News in Briefs). And then there are the lyrics of the song; everywhere Morrissey mentions is associated with death, imprisonment, or chaste behaviour and then you've got the shocking image of scantily clad women as a direct contrast. There's also the connection between Morrissey having a gang symbol shaved into his eyebrow and the model wearing knuckle dusters, though this is a motif left hanging and therefore we're not really sure what that's about (other than Mozzer's fascination with gangs).

I'm not saying it's a great video, but it's certainly not Morrissey engaging in some throwaway sexism.

Thank you! After 309 posts at least the attempt of any kind of approach. :clap:
I think people often go the wrong way. They see something and instantly accuse, accuse, accuse ... Instead of saying "Wait! We know this artist for 30 years now. For all we know he wouldn't simply engage in some throwaway sexism. So what the hell does he want to tell us?" I think the same happened with Kick The Bride Down The Aisle and of course it's a dangerous approach since it's likely that most people accuse, accuse, accuse ... But nonetheless Sam did a bad job directing it. Sorry boy!

Morrissey use to micro-analyse every detail on this record sleeves before deeming them fit for release. How the f*** did this pass the quality check?

Well I kinda like the video after watching it couple of times. I'd like to hear what Morrissey thinks about it and if the whole idea was his I'd like to hear him explain it.

Relax people, it's clearly a tongue-in-cheek video. It's just a bit ...well ... confused, but who knows if Morrissey wanted it that way? He does love to wind people up.

It's like the Robert Palmer video for Addicted to Love - making a point about women being used as sex objects in music videos, rather than having something to say (although, as much as I love Morrissey and this song, Palmer and his director did it better).

In this case, the women are bearing the title of the song in several different languages, but the only language people will see is "sex". It also provides a contrast between the intelligence of someone who is multilingual and the implied stupidity of women who strip off for 'entertainment' (having said that, such a contrast is now beyond parody, given what Page 3 of The Scum did with the News in Briefs). And then there are the lyrics of the song; everywhere Morrissey mentions is associated with death, imprisonment, or chaste behaviour and then you've got the shocking image of scantily clad women as a direct contrast. There's also the connection between Morrissey having a gang symbol shaved into his eyebrow and the model wearing knuckle dusters, though this is a motif left hanging and therefore we're not really sure what that's about (other than Mozzer's fascination with gangs).

I'm not saying it's a great video, but it's certainly not Morrissey engaging in some throwaway sexism.

the eyebrow is not shaved it is an old scar in his eyebrow.

Re: Article: "Kiss Me A Lot" official video directed by Sam Esty Rayner - TTY

Yeah that's a good blazer and he wears it well.

- - - Updated - - -

No it's a total piece of shit. :o All artists have bad art days where the project just doesn't come together and the vision gets lost in translation or whatever. Usually you scrap those projects. Maybe he felt pressure to give it to his uncle for some reason? :squiffy: Who knows. But it doesn't merit pretending it's good because it isn't. Morrissey would likely be just as critical of this video if it was Johnny Marr's new video or whatever.

Lighten up CG! Although Moz complains about videos constantly (he has to complain; he is Moz after all) I'm pretty sure that he don't really gives a f*** about videos since the day he had to do his first one and knowing that he would never like it. He probably thinks "Well, since I HAVE to do it, then I just as well can jump in at the deep end and see what happens and if I'm lucky I may have some fun along the line."

I made the mistake of reading over 300 posts first, so now I am dreading watching this video. And yet I must; I'm scared; someone hold me!

lynnda

It also provides a contrast between the intelligence of someone who is multilingual and the implied stupidity of women who strip off for 'entertainment'

I'm told there are entertaining multilingual strippers; although I'm yet to meet one.

I think this video reveals it's a song in character. Your humasexual uncle there thinks that women worldwide secretly want to throw their panties at him, and that this video will make them do so, which is always good for publicity. (Worked for Tom Jones.)
Personally this video just makes me want to hibernate and maybe oogle Matt Walker a bit, and wonder if his bro is grunting after someone with outstretched limbs in desolate woods.

So yes, mission accomplished, SamSam! :)

Thank you! After 309 posts at least the attempt of any kind of approach. :clap:
I think people often go the wrong way. They see something and instantly accuse, accuse, accuse ... Instead of saying "Wait! We know this artist for 30 years now. For all we know he wouldn't simply engage in some throwaway sexism. So what the hell does he want to tell us?" I think the same happened with Kick The Bride Down The Aisle and of course it's a dangerous approach since it's likely that most people accuse, accuse, accuse ... But nonetheless Sam did a bad job directing it. Sorry boy!

Thanks.

The problem is, Morrissey never explains himself and, as a result, so many people get his message wrong. For instance, I recently told a fan that Reel Around The Fountain was a song about blow-jobs and spanking and they almost had a heart attack, because it shattered their image of 'macho' Moz. As if he's ever been anything but gloriously camp.

The same goes for Girlfriend in a Coma, which is about dating a stupid girl, wanting to dump her, but still being attracted to her (then again, I realise this one is open to interpretation, but it's not just about visiting some girl in hospital). Anyway, the point is, so much of what Morrissey does is open to interpretation and yet, people only want to see the obvious.

In the end, that could be the point Morrissey has been trying to make (albeit sometimes rather clumsily) for the last 30 odd years.

the eyebrow is not shaved it is an old scar in his eyebrow.

I think it's enhanced for the video though and it looks exactly the gang symbols lads used to copy at school in the 90's. I think it's been deliberately shaved; the scar has never been that prominent in any other video or picture.

Thanks.

The problem is, Morrissey never explains himself and, as a result, so many people get his message wrong. For instance, I recently told a fan that Reel Around The Fountain was a song about blow-jobs and spanking and they almost had a heart attack, because it shattered their image of 'macho' Moz. As if he's ever been anything but gloriously camp.

Wait, what did they think Reel Around the Fountain was about?! I love that song, but it is blatently about blow jobs.

Wait, what did they think Reel Around the Fountain was about?! I love that song, but it is blatently about blow jobs.

I should have asked. They probably thought it was about running around the local town centre water feature, in a manly fashion, then having a bit of macho horseplay on the patio at a barbecue ... or something :lbf:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom