"Kiss Me A Lot" official video directed by Sam Esty Rayner - TTY

TTY - Kiss Me A Lot Official Video directed by Sam Esty Rayner

As I read the name Sam Esty Rayner I feared the worst ... and what can I say ... it's even worse than I'd imagined. The boy knows nothing (unfortunately). Watch for yourself ...

http://true-to-you.net/

Re: Article: "Kiss Me A Lot" official video directed by Sam Esty Rayner - TTY

Relax people, it's clearly a tongue-in-cheek video. It's just a bit ...well ... confused, but who knows if Morrissey wanted it that way? He does love to wind people up.

It's like the Robert Palmer video for Addicted to Love - making a point about women being used as sex objects in music videos, rather than having something to say (although, as much as I love Morrissey and this song, Palmer and his director did it better).

In this case, the women are bearing the title of the song in several different languages, but the only language people will see is "sex". It also provides a contrast between the intelligence of someone who is multilingual and the implied stupidity of women who strip off for 'entertainment' (having said that, such a contrast is now beyond parody, given what Page 3 of The Scum did with the News in Briefs). And then there are the lyrics of the song; everywhere Morrissey mentions is associated with death, imprisonment, or chaste behaviour and then you've got the shocking image of scantily clad women as a direct contrast. There's also the connection between Morrissey having a gang symbol shaved into his eyebrow and the model wearing knuckle dusters, though this is a motif left hanging and therefore we're not really sure what that's about (other than Mozzer's fascination with gangs).

I'm not saying it's a great video, but it's certainly not Morrissey engaging in some throwaway sexism.

Have you thought about doing a PhD?

When you cut away all the thematic layers and deft directorial brushes it's a steaming pile of poo

- - - Updated - - -

To think the Alan Carr TV show appearance was conveniently cancelled around the probable recording of this video. Which admittedly took approximately 2 hours of everybody's time apart from Damon's.

I have never, ever wanted to unsee anything more in my entire life.

Benny i wonder how you are in real life
are you bald, do you have kids, do you listen to the jam:rolleyes:

Not bald, two kids and don't listen to the jam.
Happy to help
Best
Benny-the-British-Butcher

Robert Palmer wasn't making any point, and neither was Morrissey.

Exactly check out Sonic Youth's cover of Addicted To Love for something which does say something

My Theory is that some people do not what to admit that this is just bad, because i want to seen as they have an profund understandig of this video that we the common schlubs do not.

I never said it wasn't a bad video. But if one of my dad's 6th form media students had made this, I would have interpreted it exactly the same way. Moz needs to get himself a more experienced director next time and he needs to be specific about what he's aiming for. Or, failing that, he should have someone film him performing the song in front of an audience and release that as the video.

Robert Palmer wasn't making any point, and neither was Morrissey.

Palmer's video is clearly a parody; the women were instructed to act like mannequins and they're blatantly miming playing the instruments. It's a comment on music videos, art and sexism. There's a specific artist (whose name I can't remember) whose pictures influenced the look. A lot of videos were making points in the 80's and that's one of the things Morrissey hated about them; they were making the point through the video and not the song itself. I liked 80's and early 90's music videos for their artistry, but then the cult of vacuous celebrity took over and a music video became an exercise in self aggrandisement and (especially in rap circles) a demonstration of wealth and power over women.

Re: Kiss me a lot - Official video

Don't even compare this trite trash to a video like The More You Ignore

Well interestingly that's the first thing I compared it with. I mean, we've gone from Martin Boorer's daughter in a tiara to bland half-hookers in suspenders. Both ends of the spectrum, minus the Virgin Mary in the middle.

I'm beginning to frankly suspect someone doesn't know what a female is.

Also, no amount of naked ladeez can distract us from the fact one is only asking a seven-months pregnant woman to open for him in the hope that she's going to deliver or miscarry on stage or something equally gaymatic.

Hey, I see ya, dumbass. You're lucky the 74 y.o didn't die on your tour. And what a surprise, nobody bothered filming HER. Guess something was wrong with her pantyhose.

Palmer's video is clearly a parody; the women were instructed to act like mannequins and they're blatantly miming playing the instruments. It's a comment on music videos, art and sexism. There's a specific artist (whose name I can't remember) whose pictures influenced the look. A lot of videos were making points in the 80's and that's one of the things Morrissey hated about them; they were making the point through the video and not the song itself. I liked 80's and early 90's music videos for their artistry, but then the cult of vacuous celebrity took over and a music video became an exercise in self aggrandisement and (especially in rap circles) a demonstration of wealth and power over women.
He wanted them to look a certain way but not to make a statement. i knew you meant the video not the song, thats what i was talking about the women were not there to make a statement of sexism. He just wanted them there!

Another meaningless voice with an unimportant opinion, but... this is one of the worst music videos I have ever seen. Not bad as in sexist or offensive but truly badly made. My opinion is that it brings ill will to an otherwise wonderful song. It doesn't discredit it completely, but certainly makes you forget its charms as the visuals are playing. I cannot imagine any single person alive who would seriously see this as an acceptable expression of visual art or even a passable form of promotion. I adore Morrissey to the ends of the Earth but this music video is a pile of shit. I traveled from London to Leeds for his recent show and am considering a trip to NYC, so obviously it would take more than an appallingly shot and edited music video to stop me from being a super fan. I'm not sure I have ever said anything negative on here but I've had a few bitters and can't really believe this video has been released.

Another meaningless voice with an unimportant opinion, but... this is one of the worst music videos I have ever seen. Not bad as in sexist or offensive but truly badly made. My opinion is that it brings ill will to an otherwise wonderful song. It doesn't discredit it completely, but certainly makes you forget its charms as the visuals are playing. I cannot imagine any single person alive who would seriously see this as an acceptable expression of visual art or even a passable form of promotion. I adore Morrissey to the ends of the Earth but this music video is a pile of shit. I traveled from London to Leeds for his recent show and am considering a trip to NYC, so obviously it would take more than an appallingly shot and edited music video to stop me from being a super fan. I'm not sure I have ever said anything negative on here but I've had a few bitters and can't really believe this video has been released.

That's how I feel. I'm astonished!

Between the nephew that always thinks of them and the uncle that never thinks of them, I'm beginning to wonder if there's one normal man in the Morrissey family.

I only ask in the interest of Science...

Unfortunatly the uncle is the one you want......
Still i have Tina and the humansexual statment to keep my hopes up........
Morrissey can like vagina. He just needs to find the right one

Last edited by a moderator:
It's just a bad video. The director seems to be selectively defending the sexism claims. But come on, that's just a side issue. Done well, the concept could have worked. It's just a dreadful video. Pretty much everyone is in agreement on this.

I've never been that impressed by any of Sam Esty Rayners work. He makes a point on trading off the back of his uncle (look at his website), and I do wonder if that's how he gets work. He isn't a talented photographer, and a worse video director.

Tl;dr Morrissey fantasises about dressing in bra and panties and being 'objectified' by heterosexual men. epicFAIL!

I wonder if Morrissey realises that a lot of heterosexual men will watch this video and find it confusing and/or disturbing? Why is he making them switch their lustful gaze between lingerie-clad bad actresses doing Carry On Amateur Dramatics and his greying, balding middle age cadaverish apparition?

He is signalling everything except heterosexual lust by his body language so it's a rather bizarre juxtaposition.

Or is it a song about middle-age male sex tourism? Is that what he's trying to say? That the only way an ugly f***er like him could get young women interested in him sexually is if he pays them a lot of money to act as if he's really hot?

Or is this a comment on Pray The Gay Away Therapy?

Is the advice on inhaling medical marijuana at the start a public health warning: "Viewer discretion advised, you may prefer to be sedated/stoned before watching this".

Ah! I get it at last! He wishes he was a nubile young woman in lingerie? He wishes he was the object of heterosexual lust? Is that his point? That he's mad that his Mexican gangster fans/band-mates/security/roadies don't want to f*** him? And keep rolling joints/ rolling their eyes behind his back at his camp as Christmas antics whilst 'posing as a humasexual'? Or is the start Latino prison bitch sign language? A warning that you need to get stoned whilst some English f***** is musically taking the piss/sucking your dick pretending he's a linerie model in this f***tard video? Is that what they're warning about at the start? *confused*

If someone had put this up as a mocking pastiche I'd have thought it was cruel and bitter baiting of Morrissey as a has-been bitter old queen, but the fact that Morrissey has seemingly fantasised this car-crash himself is really remarkable. And tragically hilarious. Has he no insight into himself whatsoever? At 56? FFS! He should have stripped off that ludicrous outfit to reveal himself in bra and panties. It's too subtle. Most folk won't be able to decode it, so I'm glad I've been able to help out with an insightful meta-analysis. I assume it's part of a wider, deeper comedic persona that Morrissey is trying out before his hair finally falls off and he has to wear a flat cap on stage.

best
BB

That was very, very hard to watch.

I never thought a Morrissey video could get worse than All You Need Is Me and that other one where he's moping around that Los Angeles cemetery (which was so bad, it might have been scrubbed from the internet because I can't find it anymore), but he's outdone himself again.

Not even a steadycam on this shoot? Cripes!

When Alain, Spencer, and Gary left the band, and Morrissey was going through one hired-hand after another, I thought (and wrote here), "He's ruining his legacy!"

Little did I know what was in store: Digital-only singles, aborted tours, and now videos -- horrible videos that only take away from his career's cache.

same popeye shirt, but someone, probably damon, cut off the collar.
interesting interpretation, factually, if the female video 'models' tried to handle our beloved moz, he would have swooned and collapsed backwards.

Or is it a song about middle-age male sex tourism? Is that what he's trying to say? That the only way an ugly f***er like him could get young women interested in him sexually is if he pays them a lot of money to act as if he's really hot?

Ah please come on, be fair. The video is rubbish but i'm a 'young woman' as you put it and i think middle aged Morrissey is lovely - really handsome.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom