L.A. Times archives: article from '91 about Pauley Pavilion concert and "riot"

swift eclipse

Just came across this while looking for a download of the UCLA '91 gig.

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-11-03/local/me-1598_1_pop-singer

Interesting to hear the full account.

Excerpt:

"He invited people forward," UCLA spokeswoman Celesta Billeci said. "At the point he did that, everything fell apart. . . . Once an artist does that, it's a little difficult to stop it."

Avalon Attractions President Brian Murphy, who promoted the concert, agreed.

"The show was going along wonderfully up to that point," Murphy said. "This was a crowd that really idolizes the artist. I think they would have done whatever he asked. . . . So when he said come on forward, that's what they did."

After the concert was halted, the promoter said that Morrissey agonized about his mistake and whether he should go back out and talk to the crowd.

I was there. I remember it vividly. I also remember people stealing merchandise and the cops wacking guys in the back with batons. Crazy Mozza times.

I was there. I remember it vividly. I also remember people stealing merchandise and the cops wacking guys in the back with batons. Crazy Mozza times.

Now that's a night out!

I saw one show on his first tour and the sheer wild thrill of the crowd has never been surpassed anywhere, anytime since.

You had to be there to understand the force of it.

All because of one man.

I believe it.

Thanks for posting the actual clippings. It's even more visceral on hard copy with pictures.

Look at the bottom right of the first page directing the reader to the continuation on another page, it says..."Please see Melee", for some reason, to me, that sounds like the title of an unwritten Moz song. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom