Lady GaGa

WHOA NOW..does anyone else hear Depeche Mode's "Strangelove" at the beginning. NOT COOL GAGA! NOT COOL!

Yeah. I get excited when I hear influences in people's music. I was on the Depeche Mode messages boards (I go on infrequently because all my energy is dedicated to this message board) and they where talking about Lady GaGa. The general consensus was that she was unoriginal (probably worse than that) and that her presence in the media was formidable. Funny thing is when Depeche Mode came out they were easily dismissed as 80's PG rated fluff and this 'electronic music is not real music' criticism stuck around even through the 'Music for the Masses' era. So Depeche Mode die-hard fans shouldn't even open their mouth to speak against GaGa in the first place. But anyways, I believe 'Dance in the Dark' is one of her best songs and I was immediately hooked when I first listened to it. I hear the influence and it borders on explicit, but I was happy not enraged. I also have no good reason to hate Lady GaGa.
I adore her actually.

Last edited:
Yeah. I get excited when I hear influences in people's music. I was on the Depeche Mode messages boards (I go on infrequently because all my energy is dedicated to this message board) and they where talking about Lady GaGa. The general consensus was that she was unoriginal 9probably worse than that) and that her presence in the media was formidable. Funny thing is when Depeche Mode came out they were easily dismissed as 80's PG rated fluff and this 'electronic music is not real music' criticism stuck aroung even through the 'Music for the Masses' era. So Depeche Mode die-hard fans shouldn't even open their mouth to speak against GaGa in the first place. But anyways, I believe 'Dance in the Dark' is one of her best songs and I was immediately hooked when I first listened to it. I hear the influence and it borders on explicit, but I was happy not enraged. I also have no good reason to hate Lady GaGa.
I adore her actually.

She opened with 'Dance in the Dark' when I saw her on her current tour. All the lights were off apart from a spotlight on her. Simply sublime. Cannot wait to see her again.

I :love: her

She opened with 'Dance in the Dark' when I saw her on her current tour. All the lights were off apart from a spotlight on her. Simply sublime. Cannot wait to see her again.

I :love: her

I dreaming of seeing her. But my hopes might have disintegrated because of the rumors of her explicit content in her concerts. I don't care but I do, because I prefer to see the performance of the song, not GaGa boasting her sexual performance.
*My mini homework would be to find the CNN article to this.

This was my initial problem with her (I still don't really buy into her being a revolutionary pop musician, but she is a bloody brilliant one and certainly the best at the moment or for a very long while) - however, the Big Ideas argument is not one that sits well with me. I think 'Dance In The Dark' genuinely is one of the best songs of the last decade, if we don't get a video and single release for it then it'll be a crime, and while on one level it is very simple I also think it's as deep and evocative as many Morrissey songs.

Were I still a club kid - stressed, depressed, fabulous and dancing 'til dawn, I suppose I would be able to relate to GaGa. I've just heard it all before (when it was new) and technology dictated the sound. This is a pastiche of something very old; Dance In The Dark is catchy, but it is way too much like generic 80s pop.

While the wit might not be there, and it's certainly a more joyous expression of being downtrodden, the general meaning is brilliant. It's a song for all those who know they're not the best dancers, nor the best looking in the club, but it makes you want to dance your heart out nonetheless.

Any song that can be both joyously expressive and yet at the same time very sad is something worth listening to.

I agree, and if it moves you, it moves you. :)

Just because you can dance to something, doesn't mean it's not sad.

The best dance songs are the saddest, I think.

... I get excited when I hear influences in people's music. I was on the Depeche Mode messages boards (I go on infrequently because all my energy is dedicated to this message board) and they where talking about Lady GaGa. The general consensus was that she was unoriginal (probably worse than that) and that her presence in the media was formidable. Funny thing is when Depeche Mode came out they were easily dismissed as 80's PG rated fluff and this 'electronic music is not real music' criticism stuck around even through the 'Music for the Masses' era. So Depeche Mode die-hard fans shouldn't even open their mouth to speak against GaGa in the first place.

:lbf:

This is very true; I thought DM were terribly shallow back then. It's only in retrospect that I realized they kicked ass.

But anyways, I believe 'Dance in the Dark' is one of her best songs and I was immediately hooked when I first listened to it. I hear the influence and it borders on explicit, but I was happy not enraged. I also have no good reason to hate Lady GaGa.
I adore her actually.

It's funny, I think Dance in the Dark is the weakest GaGa song I've heard (just listening casually). Bad Romance is a great dance number, and hooky as hell. GaGa knows how to write a great pop song, I just wish she would find her own sound.

Good luck to her - she's got potential.

It's funny, I think Dance in the Dark is the weakest GaGa song I've heard (just listening casually). Bad Romance is a great dance number, and hooky as hell. GaGa knows how to write a great pop song, I just wish she would find her own sound.

Hmm, the 'new sound' thing is the bit I'm not such a fan of. I'd be disappointed if Gaga came back with a sound that was unique but just not very pop. I'm not interested in her revolutionising music, or even experimenting too much, I'm interested in her giving us 10/10, brilliant pop songs. I'm sure Bjork is pushing the boundaries somewhere, but while she may be a genius she's also adept at clearing the dancefloor.

Agree with 'the best dance songs are the saddest' bit, there much be a decent term/genre-name for it by now?!

gagadesignshirt.jpg

want.

Hmm, the 'new sound' thing is the bit I'm not such a fan of. I'd be disappointed if Gaga came back with a sound that was unique but just not very pop. I'm not interested in her revolutionising music, or even experimenting too much, I'm interested in her giving us 10/10, brilliant pop songs. I'm sure Bjork is pushing the boundaries somewhere, but while she may be a genius she's also adept at clearing the dancefloor.

:rolleyes: :D

I guess we just want different things out of our pop divas.

Bjork nailed her own pop sound with Post - what a great album. I'll admit, you can't really dance to it, but it's her sound and her sound alone. I enjoy that kind of musical experience more than anything else.

Her last studio album was godawful.

Agree with 'the best dance songs are the saddest' bit, there much be a decent term/genre-name for it by now?!

Goth? :rolleyes:

This is very true; I thought DM were terribly shallow back then. It's only in retrospect that I realized they kicked ass.
Yep. Only now (through a process of a few months) I am really enjoyed their music as music and not as 1980s antiques.

Hmm... I was referring to the first time I listened to it. On second rotation of listening to the album, I realized that "Monster" and "So Happy I could Die" are great tracks probably greater than "Dance in the Dark". That's what happens when you listen to an album more than once.

Just been to see her again. Wow! Amazing show. Boy does she put some effort in. On stage for over 2 hours, numerous (fabulous) costume changes and some amazing stage decoration.

Voice sounded amazing and she looked pretty damn fine too. Seemed really happy and enjoying herself. Lots of crowd interaction and she just came across as incredibly sincere and as if she really was having a ball. Highlights were Dance in the Dark (which she opened with), boys boys boys, bad romance and cover of stand by me.

Just been to see her again. Wow! Amazing show. Boy does she put some effort in. On stage for over 2 hours, numerous (fabulous) costume changes and some amazing stage decoration.

Voice sounded amazing and she looked pretty damn fine too. Seemed really happy and enjoying herself. Lots of crowd interaction and she just came across as incredibly sincere and as if she really was having a ball. Highlights were Dance in the Dark (which she opened with), boys boys boys, bad romance and cover of stand by me.

This just makes me all the more impatient for September 7th!

Tags
cock block ladyblahblah
Back
Top Bottom