"Lady Willpower" release - official lyric video posted for May 17, 2019

The production isn't good on this track, I think it sound tinny and off. I've enjoyed the other 3 singles.

Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits...

Well, I would''the say that about Leonard Cohen. He was''tout really singing on his last records. But the music around it, and backing vocals, were crafted so skillfully that you got the very best out of his limited vocal abilities and it never sounded dull. That is something I can admire too.
Nick Cave ´s voice is still very strong, and he is about the same age as Morrissey. But it has been the same voice for years.

I miss the ace B sides from groups like The Cure, whose B sides were always as good as the A sides. I miss the great 12" with lovely artwork.

Well, the 12 inch has definitely become a relict of the past, the 80s / 90s.
Now, we get bonus tracks on deluxe albums, but it is not the same.
12 " offered an opportunity to try something different on one-off basis as a separate basis.

Well, the 12 inch has definitely become a relict of the past, the 80s / 90s.
Now, we get bonus tracks on deluxe albums, but it is not the same.
12 " offered an opportunity to try something different on one-off basis as a separate basis.
Yeah I miss the 12" singles of Morrissey's. Other artists are still making them but for some reason after Quarry and a few random picture discs Morrissey has no love for them.

Well, I would''the say that about Leonard Cohen. He was''tout really singing on his last records. But the music around it, and backing vocals, were crafted so skillfully that you got the very best out of his limited vocal abilities and it never sounded dull. That is something I can admire too.
Nick Cave ´s voice is still very strong, and he is about the same age as Morrissey. But it has been the same voice for years.

That's a strange point of view!
I think the opposite and maybe that's why I thought of Cohen: the music of his last albums is as boring as hell... Or almost unlistenable (for me)... But his voice is so amazing that it doesn't matter, the result is fantastic anyway.

Exactly the same thing happens to me with the song of this thread: the music is painful, almost grotesque, but Morrissey does the miracle of making the song shine, even if the music is terrible.

Funny that you mentioned Nick Cave, I almost wrote his name too, but I didn't because I think he arrived to his peak during the times of Henry's Dream and then he simply didn't decline.

Anyway.... California Son will probably remind me a lot of Leonard Cohen: music that I can't like and a voice that is a true miracle, making the final result become fantastic.

Yeah I miss the 12" singles of Morrissey's. Other artists are still making them but for some reason after Quarry and a few random picture discs Morrissey has no love for them.

I agree. I bought the new tracks
That's a strange point of view!
I think the opposite and maybe that's why I thought of Cohen: the music of his last albums is as boring as hell... Or almost unlistenable (for me)... But his voice is so amazing that it doesn't matter, the result is fantastic anyway.

Exactly the same thing happens to me with the song of this thread: the music is painful, almost grotesque, but Morrissey does the miracle of making the song shine, even if the music is terrible.

Funny that you mentioned Nick Cave, I almost wrote his name too, but I didn't because I think he arrived to his peak during the times of Henry's Dream and then he simply didn't decline.

Anyway.... California Son will probably remind me a lot of Leonard Cohen: music that I can't like and a voice that is a true miracle, making the final result become fantastic.

Okay, I see your point and will think about it the next time I listen to one of the later Leonard Cohen CDs. It is certainly true that his earlier works were more melodic. And at some point, it may be that just hearing the voice is all that you need for enjoyment.
So yeah, lets hope that California Son reminds you of Cohen for all the good reasons. Indeed, Morrissey gave à strong vocal delivery of the song, but it remains an odd choice.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom