Let's educate SER on sleeves for a bit

Ryan

Notre-DAYUM!
Subscriber
I haven't created a thread in a while, but with the slew of shite (and with the "Kiss Me A Lot" and "Some Say I Got Devil" videos on his CV) that SER has put his name to for official releases, I felt something like this ought to be brought up in a sincere way.

And it was actually only prompted by seeing an old post from 2014 of a fake cover for "Istanbul". Something as simple as this (the link I clicked on) - http://www.kroese-online.nl/format/j21/?file=502/952/j8g9vvf7.j01 - if we received something in quality even half as good as that these days, I'd be happy.

What really is going on in the art/design department? I mean even the font chosen for the official website, what is with that shit? He can't honestly look at these finished products and think "Yep, another masterpiece!"

...Or can he?

Oh god.

Remember the days of the "You Have Killed Me" and "The Youngest Was The Most Loved" covers? Even the "I Just Want To See The Boy Happy" single had a nice charm to it. What. Happened?

Do you know who designed those covers in 06?And who took the photos?

Anyway, I don't think he's very keen on the way he looks now.
I thought the Low in High School single covers were very good. My favorite was "All the young people..."
Also "Lover-to-be" from RSD was very classy. The font type, colors, and placement have been the biggest aesthetic issues with SER's output, in my opinion.

The pictures that are being used for the physical singles really aren't the problem. Spent the Day in Bed, Jacky, All the young People, Lover-to-be and Wedding Bell Blues all had stunning cover images. Therefore, I don't mind that they aren't using pictures of Morrissey.
But the covers of both LiHS (at least the regular one) and especially California Son were quite bad and the same is true for all that promotional art work posted on MorrisseyCentral and the fonts being used in general.
Personally, I think he still looks good and has all the charisma and I wished he'd embrace that more. All it takes is a great professional photographer...

The pictures that are being used for the physical singles really aren't the problem. Spent the Day in Bed, Jacky, All the young People, Lover-to-be and Wedding Bell Blues all had stunning cover images. Therefore, I don't mind that they aren't using pictures of Morrissey.
But the covers of both LiHS (at least the regular one) and especially California Son were quite bad and the same is true for all that promotional art work posted on MorrisseyCentral and the fonts being used in general.
Personally, I think he still looks good and has all the charisma and I wished he'd embrace that more. All it takes is a great professional photographer...

I think “Lover to Be” is a great song, I really enjoy it. But the cover art, that 1970s headshot of whoever that actor is (I forgot his name and too lazy to google it) is so boring and uninspiring to me.
The other cover arts that have been used for singles
you list are fantastic, yes.

And I definitely agree that 2019 Morrissey should get a new series of photos done. It’s perplexing and sad that he doesn’t seem to like the way he looks now and keeps recycling old photos.

ser.jpg

[QUOTE="
Personally, I think he still looks good and has all the charisma and I wished he'd embrace that more. All it takes is a great professional photographer...[/QUOTE]
This times a thousand. A thousand times better than the sloppy re-treads that are currently out.

the font on Central is just downright obnxious. Made that rambling interview from the other week/month almost unreadable. Almost.

That KMAL video from the other year is a classic. It's all about the two women dancing like they're at gunpoint, filmed on an iPhone. Absolutely hilarious.

How many of you here have actually designed an album cover Morrissey has used?

81A68406-EA12-4506-9094-D2343D701308.gif

Anyone else?

Tags
shitty moz sleeves
Back
Top Bottom