Let's taco 'bout this

THE L.A. TACO GUIDE TO LOVING OR NOT LOVING MORRISSEY - L.A. Taco
By MELISSA MORA HIDALGO

full

Excerpt:

It’s been a little over a week since Morrissey performed in concert to a near-capacity crowd of faithful fans at the Hollywood Bowl. It was the penultimate stop on his latest California Son album tour.

The Manchester-born singer came “home” to Los Angeles amidst lots of questions about whether his adopted-hometown fans should care about his For Britain politics and what those ideologies mean beyond U.K. borders, particularly in Trump’s America.

The last time Morrissey performed at the Hollywood Bowl, the Los Angeles City Council honored the singer by declaring November 10 “Morrissey Day” in L.A. The 2017 recognition made official what fans in the area have known for decades—that Los Angeles has been “too hot” for Moz since everyone’s tio, cousin, older sister, or girlfriend got them into The Smiths back in the 80s, and that Morrissey has “looked to Los Angeles” and the borderlands for his “new Latino heart” audiences ever since he stopped living in his native England in the 90s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, reminds me of those who hate Morrissey but continue to come onto this site, they just can’t let go. They say they’re ‘fighting racism’:rolleyes: but the truth is that they can’t let go of Morrissey, he is their identity, he’s all that you have,
guess you could call it ...
‘Ex-fan Identity’.

:cool:
I'm a big fan of The Smiths. Why wouldn't I visit the best fan site for that group? And you are guilty of imposing your own bitter world view on me if you say I 'hate' Morrissey; I don't.

says the newbie whos been here since july.
Haha, that's lame. FWIW, I've been here a lot longer than that, under different usernames - about ten years altogether. So you are both lame and wrong. Way to go!

Haha, that's lame. FWIW, I've been here a lot longer than that, under different usernames - about ten years altogether. So you are both lame and wrong. Way to go!
well im sure you can give us your long list of usernames to see if we recognise any.

I'm a big fan of The Smiths. Why wouldn't I visit the best fan site for that group? And you are guilty of imposing your own bitter world view on me if you say I 'hate' Morrissey; I don't.

Sorry, it’s not Smiths solo.com.

Okay ya don’t hate Morrissey, you love
love love him, as we can tell from your posts. :rolleyes::sleeping:

Sorry, it’s not Smiths solo.com.

Okay ya don’t hate Morrissey, you love
love love him, as we can tell from your posts. :rolleyes::sleeping:
Despite what you may have heard from other sources, there's a huge gulf between love and hate.

Why do keep changing user names ?

Are you embarrassed of your posts? so you need to distance yourself from them?

Despite what you may have heard from other sources, there's a huge gulf between love and hate.

really?

It seems a thin line considering how obsessively the haters who claim to ‘hate’ Morrissey yet still they come here everyday to stroke their ‘ex-fan identity ‘ ego.

really?

It seems a thin line considering how obsessively the haters who claim to ‘hate’ Morrissey yet still they come here everyday to stroke their ‘ex-fan identity ‘ ego.
You'd have to ask the haters about that - I can't help you there.

You'd have to ask the haters about that - I can't help you there.

No one needs to ask them. The answer is obvious. They’re obsessed with Morrissey, and no matter how much they go on about not agreeing with his views, they simply can’t let go of him, he’s all that they have, but could never admit it.

:cool:

No, it's simply none of your business.

You’re the one that brought it up.

You’re the one that slipped and said that you had other usernames.

Maybe it’s no one’s business, but if you brought it up, then, it wouldn’t be surprising if someone asked you ...

Why do you keep changing your username?

o_O

What???

But you said ...

“Haha, that's lame. FWIW, I've been here a lot longer than that, under different usernames - about ten years altogether. ”

So how can you say you don’t change your user name?

Try to understand the difference between 'changing' a user name and 'keep changing' a user name. I have used one, possibly two user names in the past. Over ten years. 'Keep' doesn't really apply, does it?

Try to understand the difference between 'changing' a user name and 'keep changing' a user name. I have used one, possibly two user names in the past. Over ten years. 'Keep' doesn't really apply, does it?

:lbf:

You have used one, possibly two ? You can’t remember? It’s all been a blur! doh:Maybe you’ve had 3 or possibly 4?!

But yeah, you’re right, you don’t ‘keep’ changing your user name :lbf: and you’re not embarrassed by your past posts or to say why you have had more than one user name because it’s no one’s business but your own, even though you’re the one who brought it up.

:lbf:
You have used one possibly two ? You can’t remember? It’s all been a blur! doh:Maybe you’ve had 3 or possibly 4?!
But yeah, you’re right, you don’t ‘keep’ changing your user name :lbf: and you’re not embarrassed by your past posts or to say why you have had more than one user name because it’s no one’s business but your own, even though you’re the one who brought it up.
Good, I'm glad that you've finally got it after all these posts. I hope you'll sleep easier in your bed tonight.

Good, I'm glad that you've finally got it after all these posts. I hope you'll sleep easier in your bed tonight.

Keep one username and don’t be embarrassed of your past posts.

Just saying.

:tiphat:

Keep one username and don’t be embarrassed of your past posts.

Just saying.

:tiphat:

What a ridiculously childish way of responding you appear to employ, Ketamine Sun.

In the first instance, the duration of someone's membership of a forum is, essentially, irrelevant with regards to the legitimacy of their point/opinion/argument. Yes, I acknowledge that there is a (somewhat unnecessary, IMO) convention whereby newbies are kind of expected to earn their chops before 'wading in', but that usually becomes an issue only on insular and non-inclusive message boards, in my experience.

Then for you to repeatedly assert that ex-fans of Morrissey might only post on here as they are drawn by an irresistible attraction to someone they previously admired but might, now, hold in a less positive light, is just playground level argument. I'm guessing that you're simply trolling when you use that approach.

All of that leads to what appears to be, from this thread at least, your inability to acknowledge that some people might previously have liked/loved/admired Morrissey and his work, but no longer feel that way, as a result of multiple possible reasons. Your apparent devotion to him, even in light of recent and past concerns raised is fine, of course - 'we' need to try to be as tolerant to those not influenced by Morrissey's actions/behaviours/ comments, as we would like others to be respectful of our change of view.

I don't know where you're from, but I would agree with comments that those fans in the States are unlikely to be affected/as affected by such issues as his British media comments and association with For Britain as we Brits might. Without in anyway implying that you might be in that group, the seeming widespread indifference of many Americans to Trump's repeated, documented, irrefutable lies and abhorrent behaviours/comments, speaks of a progressive shift towards people truly no longer caring about the accountability of their 'heroes'. 10-15 years ago, even, DJT just wouldn't have behaved the way he can now in public office, as it would not have been tolerated by 'the people'. Now it's become normalised, a trend we see too with the key political and cultural figures in the UK.

I'm not telling you or anyone how to feel about Morrissey. I'm not telling you that you 'should' be outraged and that your emotional attachment to him should change. I am saying that there is now a body of overwhelming evidence that he holds and expresses views that are not in any way in keeping with my philosophy of tolerance and fairness. He has made multiple unequivocally racist remarks and, as is well documented, is a lapel-pin wearing supporter of a Far Right organisation from the UK, whose philosophy is one of intolerance and hatred.

I used to love his music. I still consider one of his gigs in 1995 to be probably my favourite gig of all time. Previously Vauxhall and I would have been on my desert island as one of my 5 albums allowed etc. But now, when I hear him sing, I feel hugely uncomfortable, unable to separate my love of his music from the man that he has now either become, or now demonstrated himself always to have been. As a result, I no longer actively listen to him. And my kids, 22, 20 and 18, and bright enough to read and interpret and analyse, and who have autonomously developed their own moral compasses separately from excessive influence from their Dad, have also decided to avoid his music, so alien are his more recently expressed values to their own.

So, believe what you will and hold whatever view you wish to. That's what we should expect in a liberal, egalitarian, tolerant democracy. But please try to desist from labeling as 'haters' those who might hold and express a view in contrast to yours, especially those for whom someone who was once a bit of a hero has, for them, turned into someone they think is not a very nice guy.

Ben

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom