London - Brixton Academy (Mar. 1, 2018) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

The Last Of The Famous International Playboys / I Wish You Lonely / Suedehead / Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage / My Love, I'd Do Anything For You / The Bullfighter Dies / Munich Air Disaster 1958 / When You Open Your Legs / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / I Bury The Living / Back On The Chain Gang / If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look At Me / Home Is A Question Mark / Who Will Protect Us From The Police? / Spent The Day In Bed / Jack The Ripper / Hold On To Your Friends / How Soon Is Now? / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Judy Is A Punk // Irish Blood, English Heart

Setlist provided by an anonymous person.

• Morrissey review: Big mouth strikes with more shock and awe by Rick Pearson (3 of 5 stars, 1 photo by Angela Lubrano) - London Evening Standard. Link posted by an anonymous person.

42364_london-brixton.jpg
  • Morrissey's quest to be disliked continues - Brixton Academy, review by Chris Harvey (3 of 5 stars, 1 photo by Angela Lubrano) - The Telegraph. Link posted by Famous when dead.
  • Morrissey, Brixton Academy, London — classics and clunkers by Ludovic Hunter-Tilney (2 of 5 stars, 1 photo by Angela Lubrano) - Financial Times. Link posted by Famous when dead.

Last edited:
Ah, but I love the imperfection of it. There's something so joyously ramshackle about it. And I particularly like the way he turns Scottish at the end. Yes, that blistering pace is probably a thing of the past, along with the diaphanous blouses and rampant flailing - although it's been nice to see him remembering how to dance on this tour, at times he looks in danger of enjoying himself.
Joyously ramshackle is great, but out of tune/too consistently out of time I can't do. What would happen if he started enjoying himself? He's probably have to retire then. It would kill his modern image.

Joyously ramshackle is great, but out of tune/too consistently out of time I can't do. What would happen if he started enjoying himself? He's probably have to retire then. It would kill his modern image.
I think it would kill his image since the start of him having an image. It would spell the end of his press coverage, that's for sure. What would the headline writers write? Heaven knows he's quite jolly now?

Talking of Americans... I had the most horrendous American woman next to me, moaning every time anybody even breathed. Obviously she wasn't representing all Americans... just very dull, lifeless Americans, with no joy in their lives and no experience of being at the front of a concert. Perhaps she should have booked the Royal Box?

Talking of Americans... I had the most horrendous American woman next to me, moaning every time anybody even breathed. Obviously she wasn't representing all Americans... just very dull, lifeless Americans, with no joy in their lives and no experience of being at the front of a concert. Perhaps she should have booked the Royal Box?
Resisting all urges to make a joke about the Royal Box...

Blimey I've just been flicking through the footage on utube and apart from the Lawnmowers putting in their usual 100% best creating terrible noise pollution that nobody else could possibly achieve I couldn't help but notice that "Our Steve" isn't looking very healthy at all. Not certain but he seems to be portraying the image of an intoxicted old man on that stage. What's happened to the hair ? I thought Diesel took care of that. (Time for a syrup I reckon.)
Whatever's going on behind the scenes its not good. Somebody needs to take him to one side and tell him a few home truths just for once.

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Well 5 minutes previously you apologised and said we’re all allies. Then you say Americans are far superior. Like i said.. dumb c***.:crazy:
You are obvious immature, so I won't waste others time with you, apologies to others real fans for engaging with the nut case....back to topic. MORRISSEY

Blimey I've just been flicking through the footage on utube and apart from the Lawnmowers putting in their usual 100% best creating terrible noise pollution that nobody else could possibly achieve I couldn't help but notice that "Our Steve" isn't looking very healthy at all. Not certain but he seems to be portraying the image of an intoxicted old man on that stage. What's happened to the hair ? I thought Diesel took care of that. (Time for a syrup I reckon.)
Whatever's going on behind the scenes its not good. Somebody needs to take him to one side and tell him a few home truths just for once.

I thought he looked pretty good last night!

'Playboys' IS a great song, and it was nice to hear him play it yesterday just for a change - but I honestly don't think the live version has ever been that great. Morrissey can't hit any of the high notes in the chorus, and the song is always played in a really lumbering fashion, when the studio version is bouncy and light (I think because the guitars are trying to drive it with big chords, wheras the piano/bass does the stompy stuff in the studio version). It's all just about forgivable as the sing-a-long ending is so great live, but the rest of it has never really cut the mustard IMHO.

Pity they had to put up with a lying swedish crank.

yanks>swedish cranks
Nah us swedes are seen as very reliable which is why you lot all drive a Volvo when you have young kids. Pardon me for riding on the wave of being seen as nice and reliable when selling myself with a swedish smile.

Americans always compete at everything which is why they are always so mad and stressed out whereas swedes just sit back and allow the state to take care of them or decide to start a company cause if it fails they won't end up a bag lady like you.

That american flag they folded so nicely at the funeral does it warm you much at night cause it seem awfully thin and silky for my liking.

He's looked very old and ill for centuries now.

There is always at least one of those when you visit London. I once was in the same elevator/lift as one and she was from Texas and very large and said "oh my God" all the way up. I know some think highly of me but no need to accuse me of being the dictator in the stars.

Sad to see him having no teeth cause last I saw pictures of him Moz looked as if he had a full set.

The Telegraph - 3/5*s by Chris Harvey.

TELEMMGLPICT000156065383_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqM37qcIWR9CtrqmiMdQVx7MYWmIUCwE6PkmRN0Pdwamk.jpeg

Morrissey's quest to be disliked continues - Brixton Academy, review.

"“Bring back free speech,” shouted Morrissey, twice, as he took the stage at Brixton Academy and launched, thrillingly, into The Last of the Famous International Playboys in front of a still-adoring crowd. The former lead singer of The Smiths, looking more and more like a steel-faced pub danger as he heads towards his sixties, is clearly feeling aggrieved about being castigated in all quarters for his increasingly offensive remarks over recent years."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/w...st-disliked-continues-brixton-academy-review/

The Financial Times 2/5*s by Ludovic Hunter-Tilney.

20180303_023647.jpg

Morrissey, Brixton Academy, London — classics and clunkers.

"The singer had a point to prove. But then again, when doesn’t he? His awful new album Low in High School variously mocks soldiers dying in wars, salutes Israel’s courage, denounces the media and makes the case for staying in bed all day while “enslaved” workers toil. During the promotional campaign he provoked outrage by appearing to defend the actor Kevin Spacey against allegations of sexual assault in a German interview (he claims he was misquoted)."

https://www.ft.com/content/494bd090-1e1b-11e8-aaca-4574d7dabfb6

The FT site is abysmal - if someone feels like culling the whole text - please feel free. It switches to a pay wall after one viewing - so yarblockos to them: click spoiler below to view it in full.

Regards,
FWD.

The singer’s set was dispatched with energy and simmering anger — but few of the songs were up to scratch.

Well, that was an entrance. The big sheet upon which a film had been projected for the previous 30 minutes showing Morrissey’s pantheon of greats — Dionne Warwick, New York Dolls, James Baldwin — fell to the floor to reveal the man himself, puffing his chest out, sucking in half the oxygen in the Brixton Academy and striding to the microphone stand at the front of the stage. “Bring back free speech!” he shouted twice amid a big drum roll. Then his band struck up “The Last of the Famous International Playboys”, sung with gusto by Morrissey and audience alike. The singer had a point to prove. But then again, when doesn’t he? His awful new album Low in High School variously mocks soldiers dying in wars, salutes Israel’s courage, denounces the media and makes the case for staying in bed all day while “enslaved” workers toil. During the promotional campaign he provoked outrage by appearing to defend the actor Kevin Spacey against allegations of sexual assault in a German interview (he claims he was misquoted). His current tour has so far attracted less controversy. At this evening’s show, the first of four London dates, he was determined to let his songs do the talking. That familiar keening voice, at once assertive and wounded, was foregrounded in the sound mix: Morrissey would not be muzzled by the hated forces of establishment censorship tonight. Nominally on drums, guitars, bass and keyboards, his backing band all played second fiddle. They wore black berets and Black Panthers T-shirts, a semi-ironic resistance-fighter get-up.

The 21-song set was dispatched with energy and a simmering sense of anger. There was no hint of the health problems that dogged him a few years ago, bar a couple of sneezes during back catalogue favourite “Suedehead”. Most of the other tracks were drawn from recordings made after his 2004 comeback You Are the Quarry. And here lay the problem. The flipside to his ardour for free speech is an excessive devotion to the sound of his own voice Only the most one-eyed Morrissey fan (there are still quite a lot of them) could claim his latter albums hold a candle to his Smiths and early solo work. Lyrics have become wordy and opinionated, holding forth in songs whose lumpy music seems nailed on as an afterthought. The flipside to his ardour for free speech is an excessive devotion to the sound of his own voice. Brexit allegory “Jacky’s Only Happy When She’s Up on the Stage” demanded reassessment, building to a formidable climax of drums and chants. “Home Is a Question Mark” had a sharp solo from a guitarist, stepping out from his second-fiddle role. A compellingly angry version of the only Smiths song, “How Soon Is Now?”, ended with Morrissey on his knees, head on the drum riser, lit by a spotlight. He held the pose as his band struck up the sweeping melody to “Everyday Is Like Sunday”, before rising to his feet and turning around — a grand moment of theatre. But he sang his signature song as though playing with it, adding a new refrain apparently involving a barked repetition of the Spanish word for “when”. Meanwhile there was no salvaging clunkers such as “The Bullfighter Dies” — played against slow-motion videos of toreadors getting gored — or “I Bury the Living”, a heavy-handed anti-war screed. The obviousness that has stripped away nuance from Morrissey’s music was apparent in stage gestures like the snipping fingers that helpfully accompanied a line about castration in “Spent the Day in Bed”. Such ripe stagecraft did at least ensure he was highly watchable. Tossing his head and snapping the microphone lead, he appropriated the flamboyant machismo of the detested toreador for his own antithetical purposes. For all his foibles, or maybe because of them, Morrissey is a fascinating rock star, deserving of a place among the pantheon of heroes in the film he screened earlier. If only he could still write the songs to match.

Last edited:
THAT is mortifyingly horrible. Creepy old uncle Moz, flicking his tits and crooning a half-assed, tone-deaf rendition of his own song. The band are absolutely BRUTAL.

I recently sent Morrissey a bag of dicks to suck on. Apparently, he’s about halfway through.

Hail Rourke and Joyce. Your contributions aren’t forgotten by those with sanity and aural capability.

Jesus f***.
Where'd you get your hands on a bag of dicks? Do you have a steady supply at the ready?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom