London - O2 Arena (Nov. 29, 2014) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Set List:

The Queen Is Dead / Suedehead / Staircase At The University / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Kiss Me A Lot / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Istanbul / Smiler With Knife / The Bullfighter Dies / Trouble Loves Me / Earth Is The Loneliest Planet / Neal Cassady Drops Dead / Meat Is Murder / Scandinavia / Kick The Bride Down The Aisle / I'm Not A Man / Speedway // Asleep / Everyday Is Like Sunday

set list provided by @mswro2012 / Twitter, link posted by Hand in Hand-Shoe.

Last edited:
No he's not a resident for UK taxation. That's why he flits from LA to Sweden to Switzerland. He's probably registered for tax in Luxembourg or the Caymans. Why doesn't any interviewer ask him?

He holds an Irish passport as well and lived there when it was zero-rated for tax on 'artists'. Then he pissed off. Haven't you read 'Autobiography'? He's quite shameless about duckin'n'diving from the UK tax office. Still, at least it means 'that drummer' can't get hold of his wonga.

best
BB

He owns a home in the UK, he does spend time there.

I've read your latest ramblings but am unsure which answer you're referring to.

A) You want to "challenge Morrissey". That would imply that you're honestly under the impression that Morrissey would read any of your crap. In that case you're a delusional c**t.

B) You want to "challenge his fans". That would imply that you just can't stand if people's opinions differ with yours, and that you consider yourself above all the other guys and gals on this site. In that case you're ALSO a delusional c**t.

Is there something more?

The truth is of course that you're just a sad low-life pensioner with a very unhealthy obsession with Morrissey. News: Everyone sees that.

P.S. Great concert thread. If you don't care about reviews from people who actually were at the concert, and prefer to read the same old drivel from all the same old sad c**ts over and over again.

Exactly.

Barleycorn has not answered the most relevant question at all: why does he do this? People keep asking this, and he keeps disappearing when the question comes up. I mean, he can keep saying that he's here to challenge Morrissey, but that doesn't make any sense as Morrissey does not read his posts.

I don't care about your 'boundaries'.

best
BB

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yes I was!

What do you mean 'second'? I don't like the sound of that at all. I'll have to raise my game.

I'm not sure you final sentence make sense!

best
BB

Mmm, so you think its ok to talk about other people's children, who you don't know, on a forum?

Morrissey - O2 Arena, London, 29 November 2014 - Kitty's Post Show Ruminations

The last time I saw Morrissey live was on the 2011 tour (Hop Farm Festival & Brixton) as my finances have not allowed me to indulge my passion quite as fanatically as I would have liked to during 2012 and 2013, so I was greatly looking forward to this gig.

Recently my life has involved mainly working 12-hour night shifts in a contact centre providing Out of Hours Customer Service for two London councils. I mention this, not because it is greatly interesting, but because it has left me somewhat more tired of late than I would like to be, so any time I get at home is spent sleeping. What this meant in terms of Morrissey was that, unlike in previous years when I would have been at the venue a good few hours before the doors opened in order to meet up with my fellow Mozzites (my Moz family), then get in early, see the support and ensure myself a good place right at the front, I didn't actually get there till gone 6.30pm and, by the time I'd caught up with various people and collected my fast-track entry band for Quarry, I'd missed Anna Calvi's set, which is a shame, as I like her and would have enjoyed seeing her.

Anyway, at about 8.30pm, I made my way into the arena. Horrible venue for an artist like Morrissey as its just too big and soulless, but its also a great two fingers to everyone who thinks he has no fans as the entire place was full. So glad I was in the standing area though; the O2 is a good venue if the artist is a full on stage performer - by that I mean, they create a stage show full of set changes, dancers and all that artifice - Morrissey is a wonderful performer, but he is an intimate performer. He doesn't fake the performance to create an impression, he just gives himself to the audience and if you're not close enough to feel it, you'll not enjoy it in quite the same way. Of course, others who were seated miles away at the back did have the ability to watch every frown and bead of sweat in glorious magnitude on the large screens and I suppose they still would have got an emotional experience from it, provided they were wide to receive.

There was a good mixture of younger and older people and it seemed as though quite a lot of those around me were seeing Moz for the first time. I wonder what they made of the traditional pre-show footage! Most people enjoy the pop-rock of New York Dolls, but some of the other material seems to be a bit too niche for some. But that bit of the show is, for me, one of the most important parts - this is where Morrissey is sharing something truly personal with us, the stuff HE likes and, 90% of the time its stuff I like too! Always a pleasure to see ‘the world’s most marvellous woman’, Dame Edith Sitwell and I hope people will take the time to explore her body of work. It was also lovely to hear Nico's "I'm Not Sayin'", which I'd forgotten how much I like.

A few people seemed familiar with the opening videos, but for those attending their first Morrissey experience, it seemed there was a combination of bemused faces, rabbits caught in headlights and/or silent wonder. Perhaps this explained their lack of movement throughout the gig. Although there were some classics (opening with "The Queen is Dead" accompanied by a slightly petulant montage of Brenda, Kate & Wills, followed by "Suedehead") the majority of the gig was focused on songs from "World Peace is None of Your Business" and its quite funny to note that a lot of new fans still tend to start out on the early material. Whilst I'm happy to admit the album didn't immediately grab me in the showers, it has grown on me and there are some great riffs and beats on there which are very well suited to dancing to. However, as I'm in the mould of Tim Booth when it comes to expressing myself to music (watch videos of him dancing - that's exactly how I dance), I should maybe be a bit more forgiving of those that don't flail their limbs as soon as they feel the beat.

Morrissey himself seemed somewhat restrained too. Gone was the flailing man-child, rolling on the floor in perfectly timed moments, or flicking the microphone cable like some sort of S&M Maestro, whipping his audience into submission. Instead, he appeared older, and angrier. Perhaps he had to keep himself restrained to avoid exploding, or perhaps he was just tired. If he was, it certainly didn't come across in his voice, which was strong and powerful, like a stallion made of velvet and silk, charging through forests in night-time. This solid figure, controlling the stage, seemed very much like a returning monarch, once ousted but now welcomed home from self-imposed exile.

There was less chat than usual, but we were treated to a typical Moz-moment when he told us that he'd watched a film as a child which was set in Wapping and he'd wanted to live there. After a brief pause he ended this anecdote with his usual deadpan disdain, "I don't want to live there now."

I'd avoided looking at the set list from previous shows on this tour, so I was able to enjoy not knowing what was coming up. This was definitely a wise move; perhaps if I'd known it would be so new song heavy, I'd have (wrongly) assumed it wouldn't be as enjoyable, but I found myself really appreciating the songs from "World Peace..." as they worked so well played live. Gustavo Manzur is a welcome addition to the band who played to their usual high standard, whilst Morrissey, though less mobile physically, delivered a vocal performance that seemed effortlessly magnificent.

However, this isn't just blind adoration. Lyrically, "World Peace..." might not be as strong as "You Are The Quarry", but there is still a good deal of enjoyment to be found in the songs. From crowd pleaser "Istanbul" to the reassuring melancholy of "Earth Is The Loneliest Planet Of All", to the wilful abandon of "Scandinavia" and the sublimely infectious joy of "Kiss Me A Lot", there is a worthy mixture on the album to suit all Moz tastes.

And yes, he's still driving home his views on meat and the welfare of animals, but why shouldn't he? If you believe in something passionately, you don't stop talking about it, even if it annoys other people; I'm pretty fervent myself when it comes to discussing my faith in God, my obsession with cult TV and my love of Morrissey - sometimes all at the same time! Whilst I might flinch at footage of Bullfighters getting injured, I understand Morrissey's joy at the bull gaining the upper hand on occasion and there was definitely a justified twinkle in his eye when he mentioned the recent news about chickens; "I was very interested to read about how 75% of chicken sold as food in the UK is contaminated, therefore poisonous and I thought to myself… Ha, ha, ha.” This rather jolly moment was followed by a powerful performance of "Meat is Murder", backed by video footage reminding us exactly how our meat makes its way from farm to plate.

While "I'm Not A Man" may tread familiar territory, it sounds beautiful live and is a worthy bedfellow to the majesty of "Trouble Loves Me".

As the evening progressed, I found myself forgiving his "tracksuit" ensemble (ok, it is clearly custom made - see the labels which declare 'Animals don't smoke' - but he still looks sooooo much better in a decent pair of jeans and a nice shirt) and the two-fingers vulgarity of the band's t-shirts (yes, I understand, but still, you could try to be the better man... oh, ok, I know, I know, that's not really an option when you make a point of bearing "more grudges than lonely high court judges") and falling in love with the notion of the man all over again.

This was an immense performance vocally and showed what a superior performer Morrissey is compared to so many modern acts. Of course, you wouldn't know that from most of the reviews, which have gone for their usual angle of "he hasn't produced anything decent since Viva Hate", but even they have had to acknowledge that it really doesn't matter what they think, because the fans are still there. Thankfully, at least one reviewer seemed to be at the same gig as me and there are a few nice images accompanying the piece too - thanks to Burak Cingi.

The set list moved between slow burners and big hitters, with "Speedway" bringing the main set to a crashing close with bits of the drum kit flying outwards towards the front rows!

Moz delivered another powerful performance on "Asleep". Almost nonchalant, he stood, in silhouette, hands in pockets, and sang the song that means so much to so many. Was he really saying goodbye to us? We held our breath in silent pain and I felt the beauty of desolation all around.

Thanking his audience early on, Morrissey said "I am privileged beyond my wildest dreams". By the end of the evening, I suspect a great many of us felt exactly the same.

Kitty3780

... darkness shades me,
On thy bosom let me rest,
More I would, but Death invades me;
Death is now a welcome guest.

When I am laid, am laid in earth, May my wrongs create
No trouble, no trouble in thy breast;
Remember me, remember me, but ah! forget my fate.
Remember me, but ah! forget my fate.

Mmm, so you think its ok to talk about other people's children, who you don't know, on a forum?

What's with 'mmm'? Are you eating? Yes, given that the 'anonymous' poster chose to introduce his nameless daughter into the concert debate.

best
BB

- - - Updated - - -

He owns a home in the UK, he does spend time there.

Tax exiles can spend around 30 days/nights a year in the UK.

best
BB

Re: Morrissey - O2 Arena, London, 29 November 2014 - Kitty's Post Show Ruminations

Recently my life has involved mainly working 12-hour night shifts in a contact centre providing Out of Hours Customer Service for two London councils. The last time I saw Morrissey live was on the 2011 tour (Hop Farm Festival & Brixton) as my finances have not allowed me to indulge my passion quite as fanatically as I would have liked to during 2012 and 2013, so I was greatly looking forward to this gig.

Anyway, at about 8.30pm, I made my way into the arena. Horrible venue for an artist like Morrissey as its just too big and soulless, but its also a great two fingers to everyone who thinks he has no fans as the entire place was full. So glad I was in the standing area though; the O2 is a good venue if the artist is a full on stage performer - by that I mean, they create a stage show full of set changes, dancers and all that artifice - Morrissey is a wonderful performer, but he is an intimate performer. He doesn't fake the performance to create an impression, he just gives himself to the audience and if you're not close enough to feel it, you'll not enjoy it in quite the same way. Of course, others who were seated miles away at the back did have the ability to watch every frown and bead of sweat in glorious magnitude on the large screens and I suppose they still would have got an emotional experience from it, provided they were wide to receive.

A few people seemed familiar with the opening videos, but for those attending their first Morrissey experience, it seemed there was a combination of bemused faces, rabbits caught in headlights and/or silent wonder. Perhaps this explained their lack of movement throughout the gig. Although there were some classics (opening with "The Queen is Dead" accompanied by a slightly petulant montage of Brenda, Kate & Wills, followed by "Suedehead") the majority of the gig was focused on songs from "World Peace is None of Your Business" and its quite funny to note that a lot of new fans still tend to start out on the early material. Whilst I'm happy to admit the album didn't immediately grab me in the showers, it has grown on me and there are some great riffs and beats on there which are very well suited to dancing to. However, as I'm in the mould of Tim Booth when it comes to expressing myself to music (watch videos of him dancing - that's exactly how I dance), I should maybe be a bit more forgiving of those that don't flail their limbs as soon as they feel the beat.

Morrissey himself seemed somewhat restrained too. Gone was the flailing man-child, rolling on the floor in perfectly timed moments, or flicking the microphone cable like some sort of S&M Maestro, whipping his audience into submission. Instead, he appeared older, and angrier. Perhaps he had to keep himself restrained to avoid exploding, or perhaps he was just tired. If he was, it certainly didn't come across in his voice, which was strong and powerful, like a stallion made of velvet and silk, charging through forests in night-time. This solid figure, controlling the stage, seemed very much like a returning monarch, once ousted but now welcomed home from self-imposed exile.

And yes, he's still driving home his views on meat and the welfare of animals, but why shouldn't he? If you believe in something passionately, you don't stop talking about it, even if it annoys other people; I'm pretty fervent myself when it comes to discussing my faith in God, my obsession with cult TV and my love of Morrissey - sometimes all at the same time! Whilst I might flinch at footage of Bullfighters getting injured, I understand Morrissey's joy at the bull gaining the upper hand on occasion and there was definitely a justified twinkle in his eye when he mentioned the recent news about chickens; "I was very interested to read about how 75% of chicken sold as food in the UK is contaminated, therefore poisonous and I thought to myself… Ha, ha, ha.” This rather jolly moment was followed by a powerful performance of "Meat is Murder", backed by video footage reminding us exactly how our meat makes its way from farm to plate.

As the evening progressed, I found myself forgiving his "tracksuit" ensemble (ok, it is clearly custom made - see the labels which declare 'Animals don't smoke' - but he still looks sooooo much better in a decent pair of jeans and a nice shirt) and the two-fingers vulgarity of the band's t-shirts (yes, I understand, but still, you could try to be the better man... oh, ok, I know, I know, that's not really an option when you make a point of bearing "more grudges than lonely high court judges") and falling in love with the notion of the man all over again.

Was he really saying goodbye to us? We held our breath in silent pain and I felt the beauty of desolation all around.

Thanking his audience early on, Morrissey said "I am privileged beyond my wildest dreams". By the end of the evening, I suspect a great many of us felt exactly the same.

Thanks for an excellent, balanced review which shows that even hardcore 'fans' can retain some perpsective.

The O2 Arena is a soulless cavern and hardly conducive to Morrissey's art. Playing there is a 2 fingers from Morrissey to anyone in the 'cheap seats'. And no, it didn't sell out. Last night in Dublin he again failed to provide side screens for those in the cheap seats at the back, just as he did at the Manchester arena in 2012. They were only there at the o2 because they're a fixture of the venue. He doesn't give a toss about the 'customer experience' as he thinks his mere appearance and vocal performance is enough. In a small theatre, that's ok, but in a large arena, it's seriously taking the piss. He could at least arrange a walkway out into the floor audience so he projects his 'star persona' further. Y'know, like Robbie Willaims and Beyonce and all the rest of the Arena Herd Entertainers.

Morrissey's 'petulance' about the Royal Family is absurd given that he behaves so imperiously towards dissent from 'clueless consumers' in his audience/herd. You are quite right to say he behaves like a 'returning monarch'. You can imagine him screeching "off with his head" at the vulgar red pullover heckler in Antwerp.

It is obvious that a sizeable minority of the audience nowadays are only there to see 'that guy from The Smiths' and tick it off their gig list. He's a Boomer Heritage act like the Stones. I wonder how many in the audience had even heard any of WPINOYB? Or will bother to listen now? I agree that the Harvest T-shirts are a vulgar 2 fingers, but the fingers are directed at the paying audience as well. Who cares about the fact that Morrissey is so clueless and inept in his business dealings that he failed to negotiate a marketing/publicity budget before licensing WPINOYB? It's one reason why I dont' go to shows now as I have zero interest in his absurd business squabbles, having listened to his onstage rants about 'that drummer' once too often in the past. Hopefully he'll sort a promotional budget for his next record and not abort it on release like he did with WPINOYB.

There's a cognitive dissonance in many of his protestations. He claims that the No 1 position is 'brought' with payola money yet complains that Harvest failed to lavish their money on promotion. Why would he want to be associated with a corrupt chart system? It was corrupt in the 80s when he only got on TOTP because he was the NME's darling. They were the Indie X-Factor and he got lucky. No difference, other than scale. He's a multi-millionaire and could commission videos himself. I'm sure there are several high-profile film directors who would leap at the chance of setting his music to film. He chose to appear in Harvest's spoken-word videos then complained. Absurd.

The fact that 'cheese goujons' were on the menu shows that Morrissey remains clueless with regard to the politics and economics of animals. There's easily as much misery in a slab of cheese as there is in a steak. Only a truly clueless person would suggest otherwise and such an uninformed person has no moral legitimacy in preaching from a stage about 'meat is murder'. Does he still eat eggs or any recipes/products with eggs in them? Were egg products used in the menu at the O2? Has he forgotten Salmonella when he fatuously says "ha! ha!" about Campylobacter in chickens?

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=22060

Morrissey claims to be a 'radical' but increasingly that seems to be just a USP for his particular brand of Bread & Circus entertainment, like Russell Brand. Most of my critique of Morrissey applies to lots of these other capitalist music entertainers, but few of them make such outrageous and outlandish claims about the radical aim and impact of their clownish shows. It's just 'radical chic'. I note you express a profound faith in God. Morrissey equivocates over religion but if he was as militant about Atheism onstage as he is about his faux-Vegetarianism, then would that be acceptable to you? He has become an intolerant, screeching berk and his beautiful voice is struggling to mask his angry dyspepsia. But he has millions in the bank and can afford the best medical care on the planet. Given your arduous job, religious beliefs, and financial contraints, I'm sure you can see the irony of his ingratitude for his good fortune in life.

best
BB

Last edited:
What's with 'mmm'? Are you eating? Yes, given that the 'anonymous' poster chose to introduce his nameless daughter into the concert debate.

best
BB

- - - Updated - - -

Tax exiles can spend around 30 days/nights a year in the UK.

best
BB

It means, personally I find your interest in other people's children a bit odd, however if that floats your boat, that's fine

It means, personally I find your interest in other people's children a bit odd, however if that floats your boat, that's fine

Presumably, you also find it 'a bit odd' that Morrissey composes songs about 'other people's children', including those who were murdered by child predators? "Suffer Little Childen". Or Morrissey's obsession with events around the birth of Kate Middleton's child in a private hospital?...

Game. Set. Match.

best
BB

Say what you like about Brummie but he's a proper c***. On the plus side he'll soon be sectioned again so we'll be spared from his endless monologues for a couple of months.

Presumably, you also find it 'a bit odd' that Morrissey composes songs about 'other people's children', including those who were murdered by child predators? "Suffer Little Childen". Or Morrissey's obsession with events around the birth of Kate Middleton's child in a private hospital?...

Game. Set. Match.

best
BB

Difference being, he is an artist singing his lyrics, where you are a c*** with an unhealthy interest in other peoples children.

Difference being, he is an artist singing his lyrics, where you are a c*** with an unhealthy interest in other peoples children.

Shouldn't there have been a JPEG/GIF of Jimmy Saville/Pedobear with that comment? epicFAIL!

best
BB

Say what you like about Brummie but he's a proper c***. On the plus side he'll soon be sectioned again so we'll be spared from his endless monologues for a couple of months.

You can say whatever you like. Your opinion is hardly credible, but like 'Surface', you clearly can't let go and just put me on 'Ignore'. That's your problem, not mine.

I've never been sectioned, though I'm sure it would be fun in a Hunter S. Thompson sort of way if I had a slot in my diary. But I'm too busy debunking and deconstructing the entire rotten edifice of faux-Fame, using the hapless Morrissey as 'Exhibit A'. No doubt, Morrissey will move on from Beat Poets to Hunter S Thompson and write some absurd song about 'Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas' once he's done with Jack Kerouac.

best
BB

- - - Updated - - -

Why? If that what your into, its nothing to do with me or anyone else.

No, that's not what I'm 'into', but you're such a gormless internet newfag that you think you can echo 4Chan and everyone will think you're a subtle comic genius, rather than a Manc saddo. A bit like the hapless Morrissey, I'm afraid. Now piss off and issue some more 'threatening' PMs to Barleycorn. He must be on the verge of a nervous breakdown by now. *rollseyes*

best
BB

You can say whatever you like. Your opinion is hardly credible, but like 'Surface', you clearly can't let go and just put me on 'Ignore'. That's your problem, not mine.

I've never been sectioned, though I'm sure it would be fun in a Hunter S. Thompson sort of way if I had a slot in my diary. But I'm too busy debunking and deconstructing the entire rotten edifice of faux-Fame, using the hapless Morrissey as 'Exhibit A'. No doubt, Morrissey will move on from Beat Poets to Hunter S Thompson and write some absurd song about 'Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas' once he's done with Jack Kerouac.

best
BB

- - - Updated - - -

No, that's not what I'm 'into', but you're such a gormless internet newfag that you think you can echo 4Chan and everyone will think you're a subtle comic genius, rather than a Manc saddo. A bit like the hapless Morrissey, I'm afraid. Now piss off and issue some more 'threatening' PMs to Barleycorn. He must be on the verge of a nervous breakdown by now. *rollseyes*

best

Oh dear, hit a nerve have I, Brummie. And by the way, if Barley ere honest, he would say I didnt threaten him in any way. In his post he said "Make me" and I offered to meet him, no threats or anything.

Enjoy Taylor Swift in Cologne with your daughter?? By the way their are some nice porn areas to show her in the Turkish quarter where the arena is.

Last edited:
Brummie, Surface etc, please stop now.

This is O2 post-show thread, you can argue either off-topic fight thread or other threads in off-topic forum.
I'll close this thread now.

Last edited:
Brummie, Surface etc, please stop now.

This is O2 post-show thread, you can argue either off-topic fight thread or other threads in off-topic forum.
I'll close this thread now.

Fair enough Kewpie, I will stop as of now

Re: Morrissey - O2 Arena, London, 29 November 2014 - Kitty's Post Show Ruminations

"Last night in Dublin he again failed to provide side screens for those in the cheap seats at the back, just as he did at the Manchester arena"...

Dublin, 1st December, 8:42

Boz: Moz old bean, have you remembered the 190 inch Samsung plasma?

Moz: Oh f*** it, they're just a bunch of plebs.

Meanwhile, in the real world where the artiste isn't actually responsible for every detail of the venue...Honestly, how stupid can one person be?

The last time I saw Morrissey live was on the 2011 tour (Hop Farm Festival & Brixton) as my finances have not allowed me to indulge my passion quite as fanatically as I would have liked to during 2012 and 2013, so I was greatly looking forward to this gig.

Recently my life has involved mainly working 12-hour night shifts in a contact centre providing Out of Hours Customer Service for two London councils. I mention this, not because it is greatly interesting, but because it has left me somewhat more tired of late than I would like to be, so any time I get at home is spent sleeping. What this meant in terms of Morrissey was that, unlike in previous years when I would have been at the venue a good few hours before the doors opened in order to meet up with my fellow Mozzites (my Moz family), then get in early, see the support and ensure myself a good place right at the front, I didn't actually get there till gone 6.30pm and, by the time I'd caught up with various people and collected my fast-track entry band for Quarry, I'd missed Anna Calvi's set, which is a shame, as I like her and would have enjoyed seeing her.

There was a good mixture of younger and older people and it seemed as though quite a lot of those around me were seeing Moz for the first time. I wonder what they made of the traditional pre-show footage! Most people enjoy the pop-rock of New York Dolls, but some of the other material seems to be a bit too niche for some. But that bit of the show is, for me, one of the most important parts - this is where Morrissey is sharing something truly personal with us, the stuff HE likes and, 90% of the time its stuff I like too! Always a pleasure to see ‘the world’s most marvellous woman’, Dame Edith Sitwell and I hope people will take the time to explore her body of work. It was also lovely to hear Nico's "I'm Not Sayin'", which I'd forgotten how much I like.

There was less chat than usual, but we were treated to a typical Moz-moment when he told us that he'd watched a film as a child which was set in Wapping and he'd wanted to live there. After a brief pause he ended this anecdote with his usual deadpan disdain, "I don't want to live there now."

I'd avoided looking at the set list from previous shows on this tour, so I was able to enjoy not knowing what was coming up. This was definitely a wise move; perhaps if I'd known it would be so new song heavy, I'd have (wrongly) assumed it wouldn't be as enjoyable, but I found myself really appreciating the songs from "World Peace..." as they worked so well played live. Gustavo Manzur is a welcome addition to the band who played to their usual high standard, whilst Morrissey, though less mobile physically, delivered a vocal performance that seemed effortlessly magnificent.

However, this isn't just blind adoration. Lyrically, "World Peace..." might not be as strong as "You Are The Quarry", but there is still a good deal of enjoyment to be found in the songs. From crowd pleaser "Istanbul" to the reassuring melancholy of "Earth Is The Loneliest Planet Of All", to the wilful abandon of "Scandinavia" and the sublimely infectious joy of "Kiss Me A Lot", there is a worthy mixture on the album to suit all Moz tastes.

While "I'm Not A Man" may tread familiar territory, it sounds beautiful live and is a worthy bedfellow to the majesty of "Trouble Loves Me".

This was an immense performance vocally and showed what a superior performer Morrissey is compared to so many modern acts. Of course, you wouldn't know that from most of the reviews, which have gone for their usual angle of "he hasn't produced anything decent since Viva Hate", but even they have had to acknowledge that it really doesn't matter what they think, because the fans are still there. Thankfully, at least one reviewer seemed to be at the same gig as me and there are a few nice images accompanying the piece too - thanks to Burak Cingi.

The set list moved between slow burners and big hitters, with "Speedway" bringing the main set to a crashing close with bits of the drum kit flying outwards towards the front rows!

Moz delivered another powerful performance on "Asleep". Almost nonchalant, he stood, in silhouette, hands in pockets, and sang the song that means so much to so many. Was he really saying goodbye to us? We held our breath in silent pain and I felt the beauty of desolation all around.

Kitty3780

... darkness shades me,
On thy bosom let me rest,
More I would, but Death invades me;
Death is now a welcome guest.

When I am laid, am laid in earth, May my wrongs create
No trouble, no trouble in thy breast;
Remember me, remember me, but ah! forget my fate.

:) thank you so much for this lovely, descent impression. your words are really standing out.

They call him "A quintessential troll, an unmistakable icon…"

http://www.clashmusic.com/reviews/live-report-morrissey-at-the-o2-arena-london

"Yet tonight we find the singer on fine form. His glorious, golden baritone sounds fantastic and Smiths track ‘The Queen Is Dead’ sends everyone loopy. When he follows it with the gorgeous jangle-pop of ‘Suedehead’ from debut solo album ‘Viva Hate’, you’d be forgiven for thinking he was in a good mood.

Of course, the fact his band are all wearing “F*ck Harvest Records” T-shirts should have been warning enough. Presumably as a dig against his former label, who “deleted” his latest release ‘World Peace Is None of Your Business’ (review), Morrissey decides to play the album almost in full.

While some of the new material represents the most rejuvenated he’s sounded in years, not least due to the addition of multi-instrumentalist Gustavo Manzur on keyboards, trumpet and Spanish guitar, there’s no way ‘I’m Not A Man’ or ‘Scandinavia’ were worth the exclusion of ‘Irish Blood, English Heart’, ‘First Of The Gang To Die’ or ‘All You Need Is Me’. Then again, ‘Staircase At The University’ is Morrissey at his bleakly humorous best, while the cheery flamenco flourish of ‘The Bullfighter Dies’ is beamed alongside particularly gory scenes of speared necks and impaled buttocks.

But tonight’s most powerful moments come when Morrissey delves into the back catalogue of his erstwhile band. ‘Meat Is Murder’ is dragged out into a wretched, brutal assault while the screens show disgusting images of farming practices. The undisputed highlight though is a stunning rendition of ‘Asleep’ where, singing while shrouded in darkness, he affords the track the subtle sadness it deserves.

Morrissey’s deliberately inflammatory remarks may have called his character into question on many occasions, and his click-bait tendencies can cause even the most ardent fan to despair. But in the four-and-a-half minutes of musical perfection that is ‘Asleep’, this man answers to nobody."

Tags
gig review louderthanwar morrissey o2 london

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom