Looks like Years will only be in the top 75 for 4 weeks.

Maverick

Maverick
Years is down to 64 this week - that makes the Chart run:-

And no doubt it will be out next week.

That is terrible - even worse than Vauxhall's run, and even significantly less than Tormentors - that at least managed 4 weeks in the Top 40!

Looks like the bad old days of the mid '90's are back upon us (chart wise, i mean)

That is terrible - even worse than Vauxhall's run, and even significantly less than Tormentors - that at least managed 4 weeks in the Top 40!

Looks like the bad old days of the mid '90's are back upon us (chart wise, i mean)

Disappointing news, but thanks for the update.

He needs to release SISMK as a single as soon as possible to make people notice - it's such a great album! :guitar:

Ah, so it sold out, eh? Good news, good news! :D

maybe! or maybe it was in the one of the front aisles for new releases? i dunno. i was in the M aisle and i was like "where the f*** is Morrissey??" and then 2 seconds later I hear "Paris" starting over the loud speaker. i was like "THANK YOU!" :cool:

maybe! or maybe it was in the one of the front aisles for new releases? i dunno. i was in the M aisle and i was like "where the f*** is Morrissey??" and then 2 seconds later I hear "Paris" starting over the loud speaker. i was like "THANK YOU!" :cool:

That's happened to me a couple of times. No matter how unlikely it is, I can't help thinking that I've brought it about somehow. Shivered the cosmos just enough to bring Morrissey onto the PA system. Or at any rate caught the attention of somebody upstairs, watching the CC TV, who sees the dork looking at the Morrissey section and decides to throw him a bone. I think it has something to do with feeling like you're the only person in the world who likes him. Psychologically it's no different than the anchorite who goes out into the desert for eleven years and sees Jesus winking at him behind every rock. A weird kind of comforting paranoia.

That's happened to me a couple of times. No matter how unlikely it is, I can't help thinking that I've brought it about somehow. Shivered the cosmos just enough to bring Morrissey onto the PA system. Or at any rate caught the attention of somebody upstairs, watching the CC TV, who sees the dork looking at the Morrissey section and decides to throw him a bone. I think it has something to do with feeling like you're the only person in the world who likes him. Psychologically it's no different than the anchorite who goes out into the desert for eleven years and sees Jesus winking at him behind every rock. A weird kind of comforting paranoia.

haha! that mustve been it. i was literally flicking through the cards "Morrison...Morrissette...oh cmon really???" then that new song from "the Fray" ended and Paris came on, and I slapped my friend on the arm, and pointed to the ceiling. he was like "well there ya go!" i dont think he cared. :cool::p

haha! that mustve been it. i was literally flicking through the cards "Morrison...Morrissette...oh cmon really???" then that new song from "the Fray" ended and Paris came on, and I slapped my friend on the arm, and pointed to the ceiling. he was like "well there ya go!" i dont think he cared. :cool::p

Right, that's the other thing-- the violence perpetrated in our excitement over hearing Morrissey. What is that? I sometimes think my friends exist solely to be elbowed when I hear Morrissey in public. :rolleyes:

I agree it's a great album - but another single won't make any difference. Once it's out the charts, that's it.

Wrong with that assumption, dude.
Everyday is like Sunday and First of the Gang both 'rescued' their parent albums from chart oblivion. However, admittedly, all other solo albums sank without trace (from the top 75 at least).

There are songs which are good enough to revive YOR's fortunes but I'm pretty certain Someone is Squeezing my Boobs isn't one of them...

To be fair, it's not as if Mozzer has a long list of albums that have spent several weeks in the top 40:-

You Are The Quarry (13 weeks, peaked at 2)
Viva Hate (5 weeks, peaked at 1)
Vauxhall And I (5 weeks, peaked at 1) -
Suedehead - The Best Of (5 weeks, peaked at 25)
Your Arsenal (4 weeks, peaked at 4)
Ringleader Of The Tormentors (4 weeks, peaked at 1)

Everything else is 3 weeks or less. In fact, Morrissey has only spent a total of 55 weeks in the Top 40 album charts with every album he has released! And almost a quarter of that is thanks to Quarry.

So in fact, Years of Refusal is more business as usual rather than a huge disapoointment.

Another single may help it scrape a few weeks in the lower echelons, but i can't see any major revival.

To be fair, it's not as if Mozzer has a long list of albums that have spent several weeks in the top 40:-

You Are The Quarry (13 weeks, peaked at 2)
Viva Hate (5 weeks, peaked at 1)
Vauxhall And I (5 weeks, peaked at 1) -
Suedehead - The Best Of (5 weeks, peaked at 25)
Your Arsenal (4 weeks, peaked at 4)
Ringleader Of The Tormentors (4 weeks, peaked at 1)

Everything else is 3 weeks or less. In fact, Morrissey has only spent a total of 55 weeks in the Top 40 album charts with every album he has released! And almost a quarter of that is thanks to Quarry.

So in fact, Years of Refusal is more business as usual rather than a huge disapointment.

Another single may help it scrape a few weeks in the lower echelons, but i can't see any major revival.

I#m pretty certain Viva Hate stayed quite a lot longer, in the top 75 at least.
Anyway, it#s record sales which count and the record company will be hugely disappointed by the sales of YOR. Based on ROTT (150,000) and Quarry (350,000) they would#ve assumed YOR would sell at least 100,000. There#s no way they will renew the contract if it fails to do so, and it#s pretty unlikely any other record company will offer him a deal which he finds acceptable too.

Surely this is no surprise? His albums are bought by a hardcore, devoted following who usually buy it on the day of release. The rest of the general public are busy looking for what's the latest trend, and so buy safe, bland music by Duffy, Girls Aloud, etc. Would you really want Morrissey to become accepted by the masses?

Quarry is the best thing since the come back and i doubt will be beaten.My veiw for poor record sales in the 90s was the underground was were it was at!
Poping pills and acid and doing bucket loads of drugs at raves and clubs! i started djing in 91 at illegal raves and were the best times of my life! we were all anti pop but behind closed doors we listed to The smiths and morrissey stone roses primal screem etc but the masses were spending there money on drugs and events and equipment wanting to be a dj lol
Independ record stores selling rave/dance were making £5 per 12 single people would que out side to get a white lable or promo of a track they got the name of from a dj,friday night raving saturday hunting for them records.
Apart from us that know the underground vinyl outlets 98% of the tracks are vinyl only and no one wants to share there gems(rightly so) or record to mp3 in real time!
Its sad how people treat music now adays its all about how many 1000s of tracks u have on your poo pod!
I agree with mozmal! morrissey is not kylie to get to number one u have to aim for school kids grannys and have justin timberlake wailing like a banshee on your remix!

Surely this is no surprise? His albums are bought by a hardcore, devoted following who usually buy it on the day of release. The rest of the general public are busy looking for what's the latest trend, and so buy safe, bland music by Duffy, Girls Aloud, etc. Would you really want Morrissey to become accepted by the masses?

Agree'd. The last thing I'd want to see is him hitting the mass.

to be honest I have become too acustom to "Oh Morrissey, isn't he that guy who played in that Smiths band?, all depressing and that". Rather than "Oh Yeah, I'm a massive fan of Morrissey like everyone else"

hail mozmal.

So true.

With the way record sales are dropping, we'll be lucky if there are any albums at all in the top 100 in a few years..

Back
Top Bottom