Looks like Years will only be in the top 75 for 4 weeks.

It may only be in the top 75 for 4 weeks!
But it shall be in the top 4 for 75 weeks!!

Love PTxx.

Compare the Smiths albums performances on the chart compared to Morrissey solo - it doesnt read too well...

The Smiths - 33 weeks
Hatful Of Hollow - 46 weeks
Meat Is Murder - 13 weeks
Queen Is Dead - 22 weeks
World Wont Listen - 15 weeks
Strangeways - 17 weeks

Viva Hate - 20 weeks
Bona Drag - 4 weeks
Kill Uncle - 4 weeks
Your Arsenal - 5 weeks
Vauxhall And I - 5 weeks
Southpaw Grammar - 3 weeks
Maladjusted - 3 weeks
Quarry - 18 weeks
Ringleader - 10 weeks
Years Of Refusal - 4 weeks (so far)

does this surprise anyone? It's a weak album with very weak lyrics, his strongest point. Not hard to guess the result.

Why is it so easy to guess the result? "Vauxhall and I", by most standards a classic, only lasted five weeks, according to this data. So what's the correlation?

Why is it so easy to guess the result? "Vauxhall and I", by most standards a classic, only lasted five weeks, according to this data. So what's the correlation?

chart positions are v misleading. Vauxhall has continued to sell over the years (altho not in the top 75) as it has become generally known as his best album.
I think it outsold all his other 90's albums and may well have outsold Ringleader too...

chart positions are v misleading. Vauxhall has continued to sell over the years (altho not in the top 75) as it has become generally known as his best album.
I think it outsold all his other 90's albums and may well have outsold Ringleader too...

Right. So after four weeks it's still too early to say definitively that the album is a flop, and more than that it's downright silly to say that an album's sales are directly correlated to its quality.

I definately don't think that sales reflect what is a good album or not, but there is no question Mozzer has been backsliding in that dept since his 2004 comeback.

I knew it couldn't last.

Is it save to assume the YoR has sold at least 200,000 worldwide so far or am I kidding myself? LOL.

"in the absence of your smiling face ive travelled all over the place" thats makes me think oh god! did that song take 5 mins to think of! The up lifting tune of paris should of had some balance of deeper lyrics,or something like still ill or these things take time.

Worldwide sales data from here; http://www.mediatraffic.de/albums-week09-2009.htm

March 7th 99,000
March 14th 46,000
March 21st 30,000
Total to date 175,000

Currently at 39 and won't get any data when it slips below 40 next week but probably fair to assume it'll get to 200,000 in the next two or three weeks...

Yes, it will struggle to get to 300,000 in the end. Quarry sold 1,200,000, Ringleader 600,000, so this album continues the trend rather nicely.

The worrying thing is that half of the people that bought Ringleader haven't bothered buying the new one, and neither has he succeeded in getting the Quarry-buyers back on board (which certainly must have been the record company's main aim).

The main reason for the flop, apart from it's quality, has to be the choice for lead-off single. Paris is a nice enough song, but it doesn't have the immediate quality to win people over like Irish Blood or You Have Killed Me had.

So i take it we wont be getting a platinum, deluxe bumper edition of YOR with demos and b-sides etc.. ?

The charts are a shower of shit anyways

Just goes to show the shameful taste of the British public these days when it comes to music. They have no taste style or any knowledge of proper music.

Yes, it will struggle to get to 300,000 in the end. Quarry sold 1,200,000, Ringleader 600,000, so this album continues the trend rather nicely.

The worrying thing is that half of the people that bought Ringleader haven't bothered buying the new one, and neither has he succeeded in getting the Quarry-buyers back on board (which certainly must have been the record company's main aim).

The main reason for the flop, apart from it's quality, has to be the choice for lead-off single. Paris is a nice enough song, but it doesn't have the immediate quality to win people over like Irish Blood or You Have Killed Me had.

Hmm, not too sure about that.
The declining album sales are more likely to be a reflection of the relatively poor quality of the recent albums (e.g. as happened to REM after Automatic People).
Loads of hype when released, relatively high sales (for Moz), but people just found that they didn't like them that much, and weren't fussed about getting the follow up. Even we, the fans, would back that up as we voted Quarry a below-average album in the Morrissey/Smiths canon (8/12) and ROTT one of the worst (10/12).

Contrast that with a band like Take That. A popular comeback album that most people (who bought it) generally loved, and couldn't wait to buy the follow-up (now likely to out-sell its predecessor).

The quality of the current album isn't a factor until people have actually heard it! The reviews have been pretty positive-arguably better than the ones for for Who Ate Me Curry and ROTT.
And the single got plenty of air play (for Moz), so enough people would have known he had a new album out (especially with all the TV appearances/poster campaigns etc).

Last edited:
And the single got plenty of air play (for Moz), so enough people would have known he had a new album out (especially with all the TV appearances/poster campaigns etc).

Yes, it got plenty of air play, but as it is a rather slight and unassuming song, it didn't have the quality to pull in the listeners and make them go out and buy the record the way Irish Blood and You Have Killed Me did succeed in doing.

The quality of the current album is a huge factor, too, as most people download their albums before actually buying it (like they listened to the album in record stores before they bought it back in the day...). Word on the street about this album was that it wasn't very good (weeks before any of the official reviews came out, actually), and then really only a killer single can rescue a release.

Yes, it got plenty of air play, but as it is a rather slight and unassuming song, it didn't have the quality to pull in the listeners and make them go out and buy the record the way Irish Blood and You Have Killed Me did succeed in doing.

The quality of the current album is a huge factor, too, as most people download their albums before actually buying it (like they listened to the album in record stores before they bought it back in the day...). Word on the street about this album was that it wasn't very good (weeks before any of the official reviews came out, actually), and then really only a killer single can rescue a release.

Don't know what street you live on - the album aslways sounded brilliant to me, from the tracks i'd heard - going right back to Something Is Squeezing My Skull a year ago.

Plus 3 killer singles before the album was released is surely enough?

Back
Top Bottom