"Low In High School" enters at #5 in UK album charts

Well, it’s come in at #5. Rather disappointing. I have to believe that if Moz weren’t constantly saying inflammatory comments, it would’ve done better. His sexual assault comments have been everywhere, and if people dove into the interview to see the context, they’d also have encountered his Berlin “rape capital” stuff. Perhaps someone who knows more about by the charts, sales, and all that could find a better explanation or analysis than I.

Excerpt from officialcharts.com article:

Morrissey picks up his 13th Top 10 record with Low in High School at Number 5. Low in High School was also the best-selling on vinyl and cassette this week.

Posted by SCL:

Now, official numbers for Low inHigh School:

No.5 UK Albums Chart: 25,728 copies sold
Nº1 UK Vinyl Albums Chart: vinyl 6,766

* World Peace. . . sold 18,762 during its 1st week

Last edited by a moderator:
How many collectors bought 7 copies? I bought 2, vinyl and CD.
I bought one: CD. But I also bought the remastered double cd of 'The Queen Is Dead' this week but I'm not sure if Moz still gets money for that. I know Moz & Marr sold the back catalogue to Warners years ago but I don't know if they earn from the reissues. I hope they do.

@BrummieBoy has just awoken from his afternoon nap to rate posts on this thread as "funny."

Come on Brumms, I expected more. Where's your dissertation? I'm dying to read another hilarious *smirk* 12 paragraph post on this topic. Tell us how a C lister shifted 30k units etc etc.
You bought 3 copies, so the question is kind of redundant, isn’t it?

Have to agree BB it's nothing to be proud of. It's a failure considering it had major label backing. One has to feel deeply sorry for all those "collectors" though who felt they had to lay down and take it in every hole, without them Stevo would have looked like an even bigger clown.
Hopefully Korda Marshall and B M G will take a leaf out of Steve Barnett's book and in the future all will be well.
Enjoy the bullshit replies on this thread but most of all enjoy the weekend in the Shire.
Yours on debunking

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

P S Spare a thought for Diesel and what he must be going through back in the hotel room :eek:

TROLL X 16
B'STARD X 27
GO 4CK YERSELF BENNY BUTT FACE X 39
The only clown here is you, but not a funny one. More like a John Wayne Gacy clown. You're forgetting that Moz now has a new album to tour and that's where he'll make his money.

Still, compared to some of his contemporaries’ last albums (The Cure, New Order, REM) number 5 is not bad at all!

Erm, well it's better than the Cure but not as good as New Order or REM. Still, one out of three's not bad.

A few 'upbeat' interviews, a bit of banter with 'Wossy', letting Jools play piano on All The Young People and no random pronouncements in German newspapers until well after initial release - things that could of helped?
If he'd matched BMG's enthusiasm in the build up, the figures just might have been different.
I feel quite out of touch in 'mainstream' record shops these days and perhaps the chart mechanism is a bit different to how I think it used to work.
Given how many people bought 'bundles', although the sales are accurate, if you take in to account one person owning 4 copies (ie if there wasn't 4 to buy) the figures would be much less.
Ho hum.
Regards,
FWD.
Should add: Releasing the album just after the STDIB single / Maida Vale show would have been a reasonable strategy - whilst the song was doing ok on the radio.

Last edited:
The only clown here is you, but not a funny one. More like a John Wayne Gacy clown. You're forgetting that Moz now has a new album to tour and that's where he'll make his money.
Touché! He’ll make a mint off of setting up the merch tables and flogging shirts before cancelling and leaving his audience in the cold.

I think no.5 is not at all bad. It's a mature piece of work and probably his least accessible in many ways - hardly helped by his determination to be the contrarians' contrarian. But I do have to say after several days' listening I absolutely love it. Well done, Mozzer!

A few 'upbeat' interviews, a bit of banter with 'Wossy', letting Jools play piano on All The Young People and no random pronouncements in German newspapers until well after initial release - things that could of helped. If he'd matched BMG's enthusiasm in the build up, the figures just might have been different.
I feel quite out of touch in 'mainstream' record shops these days and perhaps the chart mechanism is a bit different to how I think it used to work.
Given how many people bought 'bundles', although the sales are accurate, if you take in to account one person owning 4 copies (ie if there wasn't 4 to buy) the the figures would be much less.
Ho hum.

Regards,
FWD.

I'm sure Graham Norton would've interviewed him. And Jools Holland. He just couldn't be arsed or didn't want to risk it. It's also likely he was offered interviews with places like The Guardian/Telegraph but again. Will be interesting to see if any crop up this weekend.

Once the front-loaded sales of 'bundles' is factored in alongside current status of sales on sites like Amazon, it's clear this album is already dropping like a stone & it's also questionable if it's actually sold to more individual 'crass consumers' than WPINOYB. Multiple sales to the same desperados who constitute The List at concerts doesn't count as a career revival!

Second week sales collapse could well trigger a classic Morrissey meltdown. With a major label push having failed, he's run out of excuses.

Ho hum.

Really? Other than London and Los Angeles he isn't selling out venues. Ticket prices on secondary sites are falling. He has booked arenas in the UK to sell nearly 90,000 tickets. We'll see how many 'black curtains' are used. He only sells tickets to a lot of casual punters as a Heritage Tribute Act To 'The Smiths'. Those same punters seem disinterested in his new album.

Not sure why everyone is getting their knickers in a twist about whether the first week sales are good or not. Apparently a general rule of thumb is that first week sales are about 25% of what an album sells over a 12 month period as long as the artist tours the album. And that comes from a very good source.

Have to agree BB it's nothing to be proud of. It's a failure considering it had major label backing. One has to feel deeply sorry for all those "collectors" though who felt they had to lay down and take it in every hole, without them Stevo would have looked like an even bigger clown.
Hopefully Korda Marshall and B M G will take a leaf out of Steve Barnett's book and in the future all will be well.
Enjoy the bullshit replies on this thread but most of all enjoy the weekend in the Shire.
Yours on debunking

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

P S Spare a thought for Diesel and what he must be going through back in the hotel room :eek:

TROLL X 16
B'STARD X 27
GO 4CK YERSELF BENNY BUTT FACE X 39

It's been an interesting episode of the 'debunking' campaign. To anyone outside of the Core Cult it's obvious that this album is a FLOP! But still they thrash about with their absurd idea that multiple versions of the same album to the Core Cult maniacs is a career revival. It isn't. We must now await the Morrissey Meltdown once he sobers up and realised the 'crass consumers' aren't buying his latest nonsense. Have a great w/end!

BB

Not sure why everyone is getting their knickers in a twist about whether the first week sales are good or not. Apparently a general rule of thumb is that first week sales are about 25% of what an album sells over a 12 month period as long as the artist tours the album. And that comes from a very good source.

What source?

The Boy From Manchester Who Wouldn’t Sell

What a disappointment for Steven. BMG tried their best. Unfortunately, no amount of promotion will make up for shite music and preposterous lyrics.

Cheerio Steven xx

Really? Other than London and Los Angeles he isn't selling out venues. Ticket prices on secondary sites are falling. He has booked arenas in the UK to sell nearly 90,000 tickets. We'll see how many 'black curtains' are used. He only sells tickets to a lot of casual punters as a Heritage Tribute Act To 'The Smiths'. Those same punters seem disinterested in his new album.

Most heritage acts only attract fans a) of a certain age with disposable income and b) ones who rarely purchase a heritage act's latest release.

Perhaps Morrissey should have booked smaller venues particularly as these are a better concert experience for everyone (similar to the ones he is earmarked to play in London)

Still cash is king when you're 58 and your ex-drummer has taken a significant chunk of your pension pot.

Are the Manic Street Preachers now a heritage act btw? I would be interested to see how their new album sells as they used to have a similarly devoted fanbase and are booked into an arena tour, albeit with the Coral in support

Being beaten by someone as utterly shite as Paloma Faith has gotta hurt. She is f***ing garbage.

Tags
low in high school info
Back
Top Bottom