"Low in High School" - Instant Classic or Damp Squib?

"Low in High School" - Instant Classic or Damp Squib?

• Instant Classic! Commercial success and Morrissey's lyrics in the headlines. Viva Moz!

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • The best Morrissey has put out from Quarry 'til now! He's back! 1983-2004 FTW, tho'.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Some truly brilliant tracks, some not so. A solid collection. Has its place in the canon.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Hmm. I admire Moz' punk attitude in this current state of music, but...quality control...

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Bloody hell, rope in some new songwriting partners! But I admit there are 1 or 2 corkers.

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Damp squib. Dude -- pack it in.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (see thread).

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters

King Leer

Leering since '97
Morrissey's new album, "Low in High School" is set for release in mid-November, with some of the new songs sure to debut shortly before that on BBC 6 Music Live in October, and at the twin Hollywood Bowl shows on Nov. 10/11. Moz gaining the backing of a major label (and being gifted his own label); the album cover art flare-up; debates over England is Mine -- these are exciting times in da World of Morrissey.

But what are your realistic hopes for the album? (Don't be afraid to dream big!)
Vote and discuss, por favor.

theres hardly ever a perfect album,i used to skip ALL THE LAZY DYKES and then years later I realised what a great song it is,still cant listen to MOUNTJOY but again it could change in the future,im just grateful we have an album to look forward to,who knows,if this relationship with bmg is a success then we could have another album in eighteen months time.

Really, how many artists can come up with a truly briljant album 35 plus years into their careers.
Blackstar, some Dylan maybe... Johnny Cash. That's about it.
All of Moz' contempories certainly failed. The Cure, late REM, Echo, U2...
Realistically I would be happy with 4 or 5 cracking songs, like all of his last records had.
A consistently good, let alone briljant, album is probably too much to ask.

Any artist, I think, will have lows and highs in their canon....whether you're a chef, a novelist, or musician. I'm expecting great things of this album. I never count Morrissey out. Muppetry with the police in Rome aside, Rome and Moz have been a great mix for albums, imo.

I expect it to be in line with his albums since 1995. At least one or two really great tunes, a couple decent/enjoyable numbers, and a few which are quite poor.

Super excited for the new album and the fact that we are getting a new release + a tour (more dates to be announced soon right??) I'm not sure what to expect, I can say that I am not a big fan of the Album cover, which is no indication of the music inside. I anticipated something different for the cover, like a boy looking far away towards a darkened high school in the background (far distance), something along those lines. This time round does feel a bit like a comeback, similar to Quarry but I'll have to wait to hear the music first. Overall, still glad the man is making music and performing, I remember thinking years ago, it this it? No more touring, no more albums; the fire still burns for MOZ and I am grateful for that, there are not many like him, living legend~

I have high hopes since I liked world peace so much. I think it'll do well and sit proudly in the cannon. I often wonder how this period in morrissey career will be written about in twenty years time

Dykes is a good example of an album track that gets better with time.

And nice thought about the next Morrissey disc coming in a reasonable, instead of Kubrickian, timeframe.

theres hardly ever a perfect album,i used to skip ALL THE LAZY DYKES and then years later I realised what a great song it is,still cant listen to MOUNTJOY but again it could change in the future,im just grateful we have an album to look forward to,who knows,if this relationship with bmg is a success then we could have another album in eighteen months time.

According to some on these boards, New Order bucked that trend.
And while the Roses are a half decade younger, their singles last year were keepers IMO.

Let's say the Manc DNA at least adds a little more comeback potential.

Really, how many artists can come up with a truly briljant album 35 plus years into their careers.
Blackstar, some Dylan maybe... Johnny Cash. That's about it.
All of Moz' contempories certainly failed. The Cure, late REM, Echo, U2...
Realistically I would be happy with 4 or 5 cracking songs, like all of his last records had.
A consistently good, let alone briljant, album is probably too much to ask.

According to some on these boards, New Order bucked that trend.
And while the Roses are a half decade younger, their singles last year were keepers IMO.

Let's say the Manc DNA at least adds a little more comeback potential.

And James!

Dykes is a good example of an album track that gets better with time.

And nice thought about the next Morrissey disc coming in a reasonable, instead of Kubrickian, timeframe.

I agree with you on "All The Lazy Dykes". Great song!

I don't understand what you mean with this:

" And nice thought about the next Morrissey disc coming in a reasonable, instead of Kubrickian, timeframe.[/QUOTE]"
Can you elaborate on this, if you want? :thumb:

I meant I liked gordyboy9's optimism about a second album coming out sooner than later if "Low in High School" goes well. "Kubrickian" was just a joke about the long gaps between Kubrick's movies.

I agree with you on "All The Lazy Dykes". Great song!

I don't understand what you mean with this:

" And nice thought about the next Morrissey disc coming in a reasonable, instead of Kubrickian, timeframe.
"
Can you elaborate on this, if you want? :thumb:[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, quite a lot of people seem unable to detach their view of him as a writer in the 80's when looking at work 30+ years later and always pronounce judgment as if he should stay in some kind of perma-teen angst state.
The excitement behind Quarry and the pre-marketing / subsequent marketing worked. He was visible and active. It's a shame things have spiralled downward. The music industry today - well, it's so different now that 'success' / airplay etc means very little of substance.
That would never affect my ability to enjoy an album though. I will vote with my own ears - I've liked unpopular albums all my life with zero f***s given to critics.
I don't think many people care about its 'success' - they like what it brings with it though: gigs, live appearances, possibly TV spots et al. If the atmosphere around the album is celebratory - it does add a little bit to appreciating it, but the majority of the 'success' of the new tracks will lie squarely in the mind of the listener.
The community aspects are completely secondary to this IMHO.
I really hope there is material that is vibrant, engaging and worthy of repeated listening.
The fingers are crossed.
Regards,
FWD.

How can people vote on this when no one's heard it yet? This poll is a bit previous, innit?

at least we know the production will be good,thought chicareeli did a fantastic job on world peace.the sound was very clear as was morrisseys voice.

at least we know the production will be good,thought chicareeli did a fantastic job on world peace.the sound was very clear as was morrisseys voice.

I think "fantastic" is an overstatement. Why was there so much processing on Matt Walker's drums? It's the only Morrissey album where the drum sound sucks.

November spawned a damp squib ? hope not. Instant classic? like a ... Penguin Classic? or a class act of an album? get it 'class' act ?...no? ... never mind.

it's hard to make such a call with the evidence so far presented.. title and cover.. and J.C didn't really do it for me on the last one, So I'm hoping to be surprised. :pray:

November spawned a damp squib ? hope not. Instant classic? like a ... Penguin Classic? or a class act of an album? get it 'class' act ?...no? ... never mind.

it's hard to make such a call with the evidence so far presented.. title and cover.. and J.C didn't really do it for me on the last one, So I'm hoping to be surprised. :pray:

Wonder for who J.C did it then if it wasn't for you. :)
He didn't have to go through all that fuss for me neither.
But I am not forgiving him as easily as Moz did.
For other reasons, not because of me, personally.

Joe Chicarelli though on WPINOYB did a very good job IMHO.
So I'm pleased.

I think now the cover for " axe the monarch.y " :) is hilariously funny and unprecedented and really hope it stays.
But I do hope too there is a surprise, songwise! :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom