Low In High School is underrated

It’s okay when you bought the vinyl. The first half (A-side) is pretty consistent, solid, dynamic. It was a heavy and more bombastic sound with a sensé of urgency, and the songs suited his voice and also worked as a group. Unfortunately, the same can’t be said of the second half (the B-side), which strikes me as totally onfocused and wea, with the exception of Israel which manages to close thé album brilliantly.

And the same goes for thé deluxe version: the 3 additional songs are intriguing and the Chaîne Gang cover is fun, but the other covers are really for thé diehards that want a recorded version of every song he ever sang. I am not one of those.

The lyrics have often been the target of criticis Perhaps some songs (like bury or Israël) were misunderstood, but the attacks on those in power and the mainstream media were at times borderline childish (like in all the young people, my love, police). And then there was the explicit references to gay sex in 3 songs, which made me miss the more implicit and poetic descriptions of the earlier days.

I always felt this line rubbed somewhat uncomfortably against the lyrics of 'I Bury the Living', where he holds an individual soldier to account for the actions of the politicians who send armies into action, and effectively sneers at his death. Either individual citizens are resposible for the actions of the governments they vote into power, and what their countries get up to, or they are not - which is it? And, of course, on the same album Morrissey berates people for even voting in the first place, and tells them not to, so it's very difficult to grasp any kind of coherent political message on this album at all.

This is an interesting point. If Saturday Ever Comes is another interesting contrast to Bury. In the past I've observed 'pairing' songs and liked that, but these two slipped my mind.

If you were to give the benefit of the doubt you could say Bury is about people who signed up for service by choice, and Israel is about civilians in general, even if the majority vote for a bad party, you cant throw them all out of them under the bus... Though I won't give that benefit.

Though I don't think the songs are as contradicting as you suggest... I think Israel even leans into the no-voting thing. 'No matter who you vote, it's going to be shit' definately seems to be the morrissey mindset on all mainstream politics. I really don't know enough about Israel's political system to know specifics.

In his own mind he's always just pro-people and anti-politician and authority, and both Israel and Bury have this theme. M views police, army, judges etc as sell outs who are in the pocket of the politicians. Bury depicts this strongly enough - but theres a vein of 'only a pawn in their game' too - the soldier is just a pawn in the game, stupid and f***ed by politicians into committing atrocities only to die for a war that he doesn't understand. + 'From a class without....' - Government education and systems failed the soldier, further pressuring him into the military... If Saturday Ever Comes is more of a neutral take on this. It dosen't so much ridicule the soldier, but it dosen't champion him either, it just highlights how the lives are viewed as disposable by politicians, which is true.

Don't know if you guys are ready for this one but Kill Uncle is actually underrated and perhaps even the secret best Morrissey album. (not counting bona drag)

I think the claim that low in high school is underrated is murky... like its bad compared to the rest of his discography but yeah its still Morrissey. It's gonna be better than the majority of the shit out there... A few good points in this thread, just as there are a few good songs on the album. Israel amazing vocals as pointed out... Most songs have a line or two that are clever and stand out... Thats the appeal of Morrissey. I think the Israel songs are less controversal when the lyrics are read into rather than just chorus... but thats a common pattern with national front etc. Taking complicated issues and boiling them down into a pop song is morrissey to a tee - and a lot of the appeal of him as an artist. Most artists wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole, unless it was an extremely safe opinion...
Israel (song) is often misunderstood. (by fans surprisingly) theres intentionally provocative lyrics in the song, of course...
Agreed, probably not above WPINOYB +bonus tracks but I would rank Kill Uncle above LIHS.

I Bury The Living is a great song, loved it from first listen.

My Love I’d Do Anything For You has excellent lyrics and is just a kickass song overall.

I think Home Is A Question Mark is phenomenal, like all time great, Top 15 all time Morrissey track.

The melody and feel of Israel is incredible. Not crazy about the lyrics.

I don’t think anything on here is bad. Spent The Day In Bed is a great single, catchy as all get out.

Still don’t understand the hate.

Quarry seems to be loved by many but it’s probably my least favorite Morrissey record due to the production making a lot of the album sound like the same slow plodding song after another. It has 3 absolutely great songs on it- First Of The Gang To Die, Irish Blood and I Have Forgiven Jesus. Other than that nothing that impressive.

Just my opinion.

Quarry seems to be loved by many but it’s probably my least favorite Morrissey record due to the production making a lot of the album sound like the same slow plodding song after another. It has 3 absolutely great songs on it- First Of The Gang To Die, Irish Blood and I Have Forgiven Jesus. Other than that nothing that impressive.

Just my opinion.

I would add Camden to the list of great songs... and America, I Like You and You Know I Couldn't Last to the list of very good songs on YATQ.

I Bury The Living is a great song, loved it from first listen.

My Love I’d Do Anything For You has excellent lyrics and is just a kickass song overall.

I think Home Is A Question Mark is phenomenal, like all time great, Top 15 all time Morrissey track.

The melody and feel of Israel is incredible. Not crazy about the lyrics.

I don’t think anything on here is bad. Spent The Day In Bed is a great single, catchy as all get out.

Still don’t understand the hate.

Just my opinion.
Good read here.
I’m not a huge fan of Quarry myself (when compared to other LP’s)
I think the 7 year gap between Maladjusted and Quarry has maybe increased the legacy/admiration for Quarry but personally, it’s not something I play as often as I used to.
I can’t even think back to a time when I did play this regularly, it’s release date aside.
Just my opinion 🔍

I think that's on the money, great songs but every song on that album is better live than it is in the studio.

Good read here.
I think the 7 year gap between Maladjusted and Quarry has maybe increased the legacy/admiration for Quarry but personally, it’s not something I play as often as I used to.
I can’t even think back to a time when I did play this regularly, it’s release date aside.
Just my opinion 🔍
Agreed 100%
I loved the Quarry B-sides more than the album tracks

As much as I love a bit of revisionism, I find it hard to say anything positive about LiHS. The most fitting adjective is 'ugly'. Ugly sleeve, ugly lyrics, ugly music, ugly time to be a Moz fan. Most of the songs are career lows and should be cast aside, never to be mentioned again. I listened to Home is a Question Mark the other day and thought that it sounded much better than a couple of years ago. I haven't dared go back to the full album as it just makes me unhappy. One day, maybe...but the wounds are still healing.

I'm glad others are getting some joy from it...gives me hope.

Good read here.
Just my opinion 🔍
For me, Quarry has one truly great, great song in Come back to Camden, and a few songs very worthy of the Canon (IB,EH, FoftheGtoD, IHFJ) but alongside some absolute pub rock stinkers. AisnottheW is terrible on all levels and HCAPKHIF is one of the worst songs in the history of music. At the time it didn't matter...we just wanted him back...but it is a very flawed album.

F323333F-7AE9-48AB-AB02-DD0F66A42A99.jpeg

:)

beautiful album a 💎
with 'Israel' an all time musical classic💠

:hammer:

First half is great and then it just fizzles out...............

In Your Lap and The Girl From Tel Aviv Who Wouldn’t Kneel are the only songs that I could see being considered “filler” but even they aren’t bad songs, just slow the energy down a bit.

I was surprised to see this album dismissed as much as it seems to be on here. There’s a lot of fantastic stuff here, that I return to regularly.

And for me Joe slick’s production
doesn’t really help for most of the songs.

My Love, I’d Do Anything For You and Home Is A Question Mark are the only two songs I can remember off the top of my head that I truly “love” when I think of this record. Maybe also I Wish You Lonely.

One day it'll be properly reviewed

When You Open Your Legs reminds me of how he wrote about Johnny uncrossing his legs in the open letter.

Back
Top Bottom