"Low In High School" review by Stephen Troussé in Uncut (5/10, Dec. 2017)

Why don't we just get to the root of the problem? We are all holding on (or out) for what once was. Morrissey is not who he used to be and neither are we.
Social Media has ruined Artists like Morrissey because it pulled the curtain back and we started to see a real person and not an enigma. If we are brutally
honest, the Morrissey we all grew to idolize - his last good album was "Maladjusted" and ironically that's right when Social Media started. So by 2004 he
"came back" with an album we were most happy about because he was back. Sure there were some great songs but it was the beginning of the downward
spiral that has taken us to where we currently are. I want to like any new material as much as the next fan, I'm not out to be negative. Spent The Day In Bed
is "catchy" and cool but no where near the days of old. Honestly, the only song that resembles anything close to what once was, is Home Is A ?
That reviewer is probably being charitable with a 5/10 rating. I just hope there are some extra tracks that will be released eventually that are great.

Malajusted was his last great album? It's regarded my most as his second worst. For every Trouble Loves Me we get a Papa Jack. Its padded with a ton of filler. If he'd added Lost and Edges are no longer parallel, taken out Papa Jack and He Cried it would be a solid album.

The album is musically splendid but I don’t agree with Morrissey’s rumoured latest political views so I give it 5 out of 10 :crazy:
What a tosser :mad:

The internet did for Morrissey what the talkies did for Rudolph Valentino.

It revealed his weaknesses and meant that any silly off the cuff utterance on some stage somewhere could be relayed around the world instantly. Mostly it wouldn’t matter, but every so often you would get a Utoya moment and it doesn’t take many of them to cause permanent reputational damage.

From what I’ve heard so far this album is already superior to WP, but that was such an absolute stinker it doesn’t say very much.

"Since Gail Shea thinks it is morally correct of Canada to dispense with unwanted beings by slicing their heads open with an axe, hopefully this same fate will happen to Shea, although given her 78% pork girth it could take nine wielding axemen and at least six daylight hours to finish her off.
It shall be worth the wait for all of us.
"

Here it is, in all it's fat-shaming hacking-up glory. I'm right. You're wrong. What part of that is not hoping she'd be hacked up?
I bow down to your greater knowledge and apologise.
However, I would take that quote with an extreme pinch of salt.
If I overheard that in the pub,I would laugh.

I like the album, it's got a spark to it. I am thrilled at the publicity.

He looks amazing too.

The internet did for Morrissey what the talkies did for Rudolph Valentino.

It revealed his weaknesses and meant that any silly off the cuff utterance on some stage somewhere could be relayed around the world instantly. Mostly it wouldn’t matter, but every so often you would get a Utoya moment and it doesn’t take many of them to cause permanent reputational damage.

From what I’ve heard so far this album is already superior to WP, but that was such an absolute stinker it doesn’t say very much.

Leaving your views of Morrissey aside, which might have some merit: Rudolph Valentino died in 1926 and the first 'talkie' was The Jazz Singer in 1927, so the analogy doesn't work.
Change Rudolph Valentino to, for example, Clara Bow (strong Brooklyn accent) and maybe you're onto something. There were plenty of other lesser known silent film actors who struggled to make the transition to talkies too, but Valentino wasn't one of them for obvious reasons.

https://listverse.com/2015/03/13/10-forgotten-stars-silent-film-era/

Last edited:
If only the reviewer had been struck down then he wouldn't have typed those words and I wouldn't have typed this sentence.

The seven tracks that we've heard so far are really good tracks both lyrically and musically.

That review is an hit piece. It's literally the definition of an hit piece.

Side bar: what is the seventh song?
I Wish You Lonely
Spent The Day In Bed
Home Is A Question Mark
My Love, I'd Do Anything For You
All The Young People Must Fall In Love
When You Open Your Legs

Thanks,

Jer

I Wish You Lonely
Spent The Day In Bed
Home Is A Question Mark
When You Open Your Legs

Thanks,

Jer

'Jackie's only happy when she's up on the stage'

Malajusted was his last great album? It's regarded my most as his second worst. For every Trouble Loves Me we get a Papa Jack. Its padded with a ton of filler. If he'd added Lost and Edges are no longer parallel, taken out Papa Jack and He Cried it would be a solid album.

Yes, Maladjusted. I’m speaking of the era. The album was great and had some of his best B-sides ever. He still moved around on stage then too.
I actually like Papa Jack and He Cried

I Wish You Lonely
Spent The Day In Bed
Home Is A Question Mark
When You Open Your Legs

Thanks,

Jer

'Jacky's Only Happy...'
Easily forgotten.
Regards

'Jacky's Only Happy...'
Easily forgotten.
Regards
I disagree on "Easily forgotten". If I just think of that song, I can't stop the repeating of EXIT! BREXIT! going round and round in my head :rock:

The only critic that matters is you.

Most people cite I'm Not A Man as the best track on WPINOYB. I think it's terrible and have listened to it maybe 3 times and 2 of them were accidental.

So far my opinion of the songs are this.. I really like My Love, I Wish You Lonely, When You Open Your Legs and Spent the Day in Bed. On the flip side I am not at all fond of Jacky, All The Young Dudes and Home Is A Question Mark.

I'm not feeling too excited about Who Will Protect Us From The Police. I like Ganglord. I don't need part 2. I'm not excited about The Girl From Tel-Aviv or Israel. I don't think we need 2 Israeli songs. One would be fine but with Istanbul already being out there it feels like he's trending on content I'm not that excited about.

There seems to be a theme about the news being shit.. and it is.. but I don't need that as a running theme. A single mention of it would be great.

I can't judge the songs I haven't heard but I will judge them fairly. If the album turns out to be a 5/10 for me and it means I really like 6 songs and don't care for 6 others I'll be happy to have 6 good/great songs and a tour.

My review means nothing since I'm not you. Enjoy the album or don't. It has no impact on the rest of us and vice-versa.

The only critic that matters is you.

Most people cite I'm Not A Man as the best track on WPINOYB. I think it's terrible and have listened to it maybe 3 times and 2 of them were accidental.

So far my opinion of the songs are this.. I really like My Love, I Wish You Lonely, When You Open Your Legs and Spent the Day in Bed. On the flip side I am not at all fond of Jacky, All The Young Dudes and Home Is A Question Mark.

I'm not feeling too excited about Who Will Protect Us From The Police. I like Ganglord. I don't need part 2. I'm not excited about The Girl From Tel-Aviv or Israel. I don't think we need 2 Israeli songs. One would be fine but with Istanbul already being out there it feels like he's trending on content I'm not that excited about.

There seems to be a theme about the news being shit.. and it is.. but I don't need that as a running theme. A single mention of it would be great.

I can't judge the songs I haven't heard but I will judge them fairly. If the album turns out to be a 5/10 for me and it means I really like 6 songs and don't care for 6 others I'll be happy to have 6 good/great songs and a tour.

My review means nothing since I'm not you. Enjoy the album or don't. It has no impact on the rest of us and vice-versa.

Careful bored, folks round here don't like reasoned, unbiased, rational posts like yours. You'll end up being banned.

Thanks for restoring my faith.

Of course it's acceptable. The journalist wrote it. They can write what they like, and there's nothing you or I can do about it. I have no feelings about how they choose to express themselves.

'I have no feelings about how they choose to express themselves.' :rolleyes:

remember that next time M says something you disagree with.

I think the point he was trying to make was, ''Quit while you're on top'' - Morrissey has 4 incredble albums with the smiths, and 3 of his first 4 solo Lps were seen as a massive success. As time's gone on his material has gotten worse, and though them early days will never be forgotten, no one wants to see him tarnish his legacy by releasing garbage. He's put out enough good albums to allow himself a few stinkers, but when the bad material starts to outweigh the good, It will be time to call it a day, and that day is edging closer.

'I think the point he was trying to make was, ''Quit while you're on top'''

there are better ways to express that other than wishing death on someone, if the reviewer was a decent writer he would have been creative enough to find a better way to express himself. He's reviewing a pop record for Christs sake! , not Mein Kampf ' !

The album is musically splendid but I don’t agree with Morrissey’s rumoured latest political views so I give it 5 out of 10 :crazy:
What a tosser :mad:
Good point.
What other music review praises the music but still thinks its rubbish?

'I think the point he was trying to make was, ''Quit while you're on top'''

there are better ways to express that other than wishing death on someone, if the reviewer was a decent writer he would have been creative enough to find a better way to express himself. He's reviewing a pop record for Christs sake! , not Mein Kampf ' !

If Morrissey was a saint then i might feel the need to get offended on his behalf, just like most of you are doing. But he himself has remorselessly wished death on plenty of people over the years. What's the difference?

I am so glad I didn't gamble and buy tickets to DC thinking this record would be a come back like Quarry was. From the songs I have heard so far, I think it his worst by far. Glad I am sticking to my "no more Morrissey shows since 2007" pledge..

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom