"Low In High School" reviews (first on French site Gonzaï)

Chronique non autorisée du « Low In High School » de Morrissey - Gonzaï

It's in French, and Google gives a ropey translation. The last paragraph seems to suggest it's either a spoof, or one member of staff has a copy of the album. Any French speakers able to help?

Reviews will be added to this post as they come in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the album.

It's a very curious album. The first five tracks we know now and they all sound much better on the record, bigger and bolder, especially I Wish You Lonely. Jackie Is Only Happy is much improved too and the refrain "exit, exit, exit" makes more change on the recorded version as the end fades into white noise. And Home Is A Question Mark is just lovely. But then it gets very odd.

The centrepiece, the epic I Bury The Living, is not only anti-war and anti-military but also anti-soldier with lyrics like "Don't blame me, I'm just a sweet little soldier" and "Give me an order and I blow up the border / Give me an order and I blow up your daughter" and "hatred of humanity". Since I have had relatives killed in the Second World War and have served in the military myself, I don't think it's really proper to suggest that soldiers enjoy fighting wars. The music is good though.

In Your Lap however is a rather tuneless piano-led plodder, in which Morrissey lists world events and wars only to say that he wants to put his face in your lap instead. The Girl From Tel Aviv sounds like a chanson -- the rhythm might be from polonaise -- from a post-war era as Moz lists the troubles of being in independent Arab woman. (Yes, I said that this is an odd record)

Who Will Protect Us From The Police is a rockier song but low on melody too. Thankfully it's about Venezuela and not about Italian traffic cops, but still.

Israel starts "If you're feeling happy / Jesus will send you to hell" and continues in that fashion cursing the Christian faith in making us feel ashamed about sexuality, happiness and freedom. The six-minute tune is backed with ominous pianos, sound effects and faintly Arabic flavours. It's rather beautiful and sounds like it's about to burst into something really beautiful, but somehow never does.

So it's a mixed bag, but no other pop artist really has the nerve to even try to pull off something like this. Let's hope he won't fall out with the record company this time, so this won't be his swan song.

Edit: And it needs saying once again, that he really needs better co-writers. But it's a pipe dream, if anything.
How?

I think the promo copy's are out. I saw someone with one on instagram.

Wonder if it will appear on any "Jolly Roger websites" before the official release. Will be hard to refrain from having an early listen before getting a physical copy.

Wonder if it will appear on any "Jolly Roger websites" before the official release. Will be hard to refrain from having an early listen before getting a physical copy.

I think the previous 3 or 4 have so I'm sure this one will at some point. I won't be able to refrain but I've already preordered it so no guilt

I have the album.

It's a very curious album. The first five tracks we know now and they all sound much better on the record, bigger and bolder, especially I Wish You Lonely. Jackie Is Only Happy is much improved too and the refrain "exit, exit, exit" makes more change on the recorded version as the end fades into white noise. And Home Is A Question Mark is just lovely. But then it gets very odd.

The centrepiece, the epic I Bury The Living, is not only anti-war and anti-military but also anti-soldier with lyrics like "Don't blame me, I'm just a sweet little soldier" and "Give me an order and I blow up the border / Give me an order and I blow up your daughter" and "hatred of humanity". Since I have had relatives killed in the Second World War and have served in the military myself, I don't think it's really proper to suggest that soldiers enjoy fighting wars. The music is good though.

In Your Lap however is a rather tuneless piano-led plodder, in which Morrissey lists world events and wars only to say that he wants to put his face in your lap instead. The Girl From Tel Aviv sounds like a chanson -- the rhythm might be from polonaise -- from a post-war era as Moz lists the troubles of being in independent Arab woman. (Yes, I said that this is an odd record)

Who Will Protect Us From The Police is a rockier song but low on melody too. Thankfully it's about Venezuela and not about Italian traffic cops, but still.

Israel starts "If you're feeling happy / Jesus will send you to hell" and continues in that fashion cursing the Christian faith in making us feel ashamed about sexuality, happiness and freedom. The six-minute tune is backed with ominous pianos, sound effects and faintly Arabic flavours. It's rather beautiful and sounds like it's about to burst into something really beautiful, but somehow never does.

So it's a mixed bag, but no other pop artist really has the nerve to even try to pull off something like this. Let's hope he won't fall out with the record company this time, so this won't be his swan song.

Edit: And it needs saying once again, that he really needs better co-writers. But it's a pipe dream, if anything.

Interesting, thanks. Seems to back up the review on the French website. It sounds like there are 5 or 6 great songs on the album which (for me at least) would make it his best album since the 90s. Its commercial success will depend not on the number of great reviews but whether there are 2 more songs on the album that the Moz-friendly radio stations will happily playlist. Sounds like Jacky and All the Young People could provide that...

Indeed, everything since Quarry (even with its copy 'protection' on the promo) has appeared earlier than release date.
Only a matter of time.
As someone who buys all formats possible, I have no issue with leaks at all.
I'm sure people who get precious about it don't have a single illegal mp3 or bootleg on their hard drive do they!?
Looking forward to it.
Regards,
FWD.

I have the album.

He probably watched a few horror movies and realised like me they are all about punishing the girl with the big tits for being so sexual which has always been the main theme in horrors as they are in fact the product of christianity who always used horror and murder and fear to market their mental illness and a mental illness every religion is and those that follow it deserve to cause they are all mentally ill and there is no cure cause psychiatry is a hoax.

You can breathe now.

Indeed, everything since Quarry (even with its copy 'protection' on the promo) has appeared earlier than release date.
Only a matter of time.
As someone who buys all formats possible, I have no issue with leaks at all.
I'm sure people who get precious about it don't have a single illegal mp3 or bootleg on their hard drive do they!?
Looking forward to it.
Regards,
FWD.

Considering I usually buy multiple copies of Morrissey's albums (as I will with this) and attend plenty of his shows, I certainly won't have to wrestle with my consceince if it does show up on one of "them sites".

I have the album.

On Home is a Question Mark does he sing "wrap your legs around my face just to greet me" as he did live or is it different on the album?

I am jealous by the way! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the album.

You say he needs better cowriters but you also describe Home Is... as just lovely. That's written by a new cowriter. So, problems solved, no?

We want a leak !!! :thumb:

and I don't mean Benny's old leaky catheter leg bag ! :sick:

Considering I usually buy multiple copies of Morrissey's albums (as I will with this) and attend plenty of his shows, I certainly won't have to wrestle with my consceince if it does show up on one of "them sites".
Why on Earth do you buy multiple copies?

Why on Earth do you buy multiple copies?

I don't mean multiple copies of the same item, but will often buy CD, then any deluxe versions (released then or later) and usually pick up a vinyl copy too (when available). Still won't be springing for re-re-re-mastered TQID though... there is a limit.

I don't mean multiple copies of the same item, but will often buy CD, then any deluxe versions (released then or later) and usually pick up a vinyl copy too (when available). Still won't be springing for re-re-re-mastered TQID though... there is a limit.
Okay. I was wondering! I was hoping it wasn't a "I'll buy 15 copies and try to help old Moz get to #1!" sort of thing.

As long as it's before Nov. 17! I'll be too busy after that, running from record shop to record shop, clearing out their inventory!

'Vegas' ? wtf ? too soon, g23, too soon.

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom