Lyric connection?

parkorova

Apologies if this annoyingly dull, but I'm rereading Dale Carnegie's How To Win Friends and Influence People (forming a cult is all, let me know if interested) and came across a line I've heard in simpler terms. "Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain- and most fools do. But it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving." I shouldn't need to draw lines between this quote and the lyric I think it may have been turned into. The truth of the idea is simple, so it wouldn't be shocking if Carnegie and Morrissey both thought of it independently.

Apologies if this annoyingly dull, but I'm rereading Dale Carnegie's How To Win Friends and Influence People (forming a cult is all, let me know if interested) and came across a line I've heard in simpler terms. "Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain- and most fools do. But it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving." I shouldn't need to draw lines between this quote and the lyric I think it may have been turned into. The truth of the idea is simple, so it wouldn't be shocking if Carnegie and Morrissey both thought of it independently.
I read that book about 15 years ago. It instantly became my bible.

Another reason to avoid it
You know, there are people out here who have negative fixed beliefs and probably found this book valuable. I am not one of them. I have a handful of character flaws but they never made me seek help for them or "work on them". But to imply that book should be avoided just because it doesn't fit your profile is wrong. I am not religious person, but would not say that Bible or Koran is to be avoided. What is your bible? A feminist manifesto?

You know, there are people out here who have negative fixed beliefs and probably found this book valuable. I am not one of them. I have a handful of character flaws but they never made me seek help for them or "work on them". But to imply that book should be avoided just because it doesn't fit your profile is wrong. I am not religious person, but would not say that Bible or Koran is to be avoided. What is your bible? A feminist manifesto?

What a strange question is yours... The Bible is the Bible. Koran is another religious book, like the Bible and many others. All of them are equally respectable, not so equally respectable are the different interpretations some people have about them and the twisted sociopolitical structures that arise from those erroneous interpretations.

I tried to read that book, but the idea of "winning" friends and "influence people" seems to me like promoting psychopath personality features. They look like more intelligence manipulation tactics than ways to relate to other people as human beings. You know what I'm talking about, more like The Prince by Machiavelli. A book about how to use people like objects for selfish interests... that's what the title suggest me. Maybe it is just the title, but the question is what can the content have that can erase the horrible feeling that a psyco title like that left in your mind?

Deary, I did not at all expect this to be so polarizing. Truly just wanted to share something maybe insightful, and I even made fun of how intense the title is by saying I plan to form a cult after reading it... If you cared to judge a book by more than its cover, literally, you'd understand that it isn't about manipulation. The book actually encourages transparency and open-mindedness to all people, how to shed the selfish psychopathic desires and treat others better. It's required reading for practically anybody in the business world. You have to understand the enemy to defeat it, don't you? Thank you for the input though CountThree, that really was an interesting article. And Anon, come on, if it were your bible you would remember the first chapter, "Don't criticize, condemn, or complain." Gosh bless you all, no hard feelings over a book pretty please? xoxo

What a strange question is yours... The Bible is the Bible. Koran is another religious book, like the Bible and many others. All of them are equally respectable, not so equally respectable are the different interpretations some people have about them and the twisted sociopolitical structures that arise from those erroneous interpretations.

I tried to read that book, but the idea of "winning" friends and "influence people" seems to me like promoting psychopath personality features. They look like more intelligence manipulation tactics than ways to relate to other people as human beings. You know what I'm talking about, more like The Prince by Machiavelli. A book about how to use people like objects for selfish interests... that's what the title suggest me. Maybe it is just the title, but the question is what can the content have that can erase the horrible feeling that a psyco title like that left in your mind?

Calling a book "my bible" has nothing to do with "The Bible" whatever that is. There is more than one. "How To Win Friends And Influence People" has quite a different intent than "The Prince," and I do think that you're judging a book by it's cover, literally.

Calling a book "my bible" has nothing to do with "The Bible" whatever that is. There is more than one. "How To Win Friends And Influence People" has quite a different intent than "The Prince," and I do think that you're judging a book by it's cover, literally.

I said so, literally.

I said so, literally.
You wrote that you tried to read it but you also kept going on about the title so I did wonder if that was as far as your attempts went. I can't hear what you said but I can read what you wrote, literally.

So I take it none of you lot are joining my cult then.....
well i was kind of hoping to join.... i do hope it's a quiet cult. can we outlaw sniffling? i cant stand people who sniffle. i never sniffle. never.

well i was kind of hoping to join.... i do hope it's a quiet cult. can we outlaw sniffling? i cant stand people who sniffle. i never sniffle. never.

You are the first bunny I know of that doesn't sniffle. :)
I am disappointed now cause it is such a charming and cute phenomenon.
And I know for sure that you have a lot of different kind of sniffles in you.
Appreciating ones, depreciating ones, sarcastic ones, melancholy ones, funny and witty ones. :brows:
I would miss them.

So I take it none of you lot are joining my cult then.....

It's too early to tell.
The thing is, before the cult starts and the innocent or not so innocent manipulation starts, it just happens.
At a certain point someone suddenly is seen as a cult hero without that person actually scheming and aspiring to be one. Or secretly hoping for it. He has a following and becomes aware of it and starts playing with the idea and using it.

You can start a cult and it can have an impact but not for that long if it is only about the creation of a cult.
There has to be a talent, an unusual personality, an ongoing fascination which doesn't last if there isn't a real reason for it.
So if I join your cult, what is it that you do which would persuade me?
Do you sing, write, create music, art, act or anything else?
With all due respect!
Cheers

You are the first bunny I know of that doesn't sniffle. :)
I am disappointed now cause it is such a charming and cute phenomenon.
And I know for sure that you have a lot of different kind of sniffles in you.
Appreciating ones, depreciating ones, sarcastic ones, melancholy ones, funny and witty ones. :brows:
I would miss them.
well i suppose im guilty of disdainful sniffles, but thats it. otherwise this bunny doesnt sniffle :p

well i suppose im guilty of disdainful sniffles, but thats it. otherwise this bunny doesnt sniffle :p

I like disdainful sniffles and I bet you're very good at it as a bunny. :)
It makes me laugh.

Tags
carnegie i know it's over literature lyrics smiths
Back
Top Bottom