"Madness stars still angry over Morrissey gig walkout" - Daily Express

Madness stars still angry over Morrissey gig walkout - Daily Express

MADNESS stars GRAHAM 'SUGGS' MCPHERSON and CHRIS FOREMAN are still annoyed singer MORRISSEY walked out of their 1992 reunion shows because the incident cast a shadow over the band's comeback.

The former The Smiths frontman was invited to perform on the bill at the two-day 'Madstock!' event in London but he cut short his first set when he was pelted with bottles and coins by the crowd, and he subsequently pulled out of his second slot the following day.

In the days following the concerts, media coverage was dominated by speculation about Morrissey's cancellation and some members of Madness are still upset that the incident cast a cloud over their hotly-anticipated reunion, six years after they split.

When asked if Morrissey's walkout ruined the event, frontman McPherson tells Q magazine, "Not as much as he hoped it would!"

Guitarist Foreman adds, "It was a shame because it was a really big thing for us."

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the link. Being pelted with plastic bottles and oranges marred an otherwise 'triumphant' set by Morrissey. Very humorous write up.

A firsthand account worth reading:

My Favourite Worst Nightmare – Morrissey & Madstock
http://state.ie/features/archive/my-favourite-worst-nightmare-morrissey-madstock

"Of course, I was only through the Park gates for a few moments when a lager-swilling huddle of bovver-booted neo-Nazis spotted my quiff and garb and blew poisoned kisses in my direction, tweeting, 'ooh, Morrissey, Morrissey!'"

"Meanwhile, Morrissey, a Liberace shirt slung over his skinny frame, is waving these fascist-spawned monsters’ Union Flag at them while relating the experience of Davey, the young man who went to the National Front Disco'; if ever there was an sudden irony failure at NME, who’d slated Morrissey’s solo work for not treading on the taboos of old’, it was right here. Only a couple of years later, they would laud Britpop and the reclaiming of the British flag, yet here, it was Morrissey, and not this foul minority in Madness’s audience, who they cast as the racist."

"Morrissey finished his otherwise triumphant set early and failed to show for day two; Suggs never mentioned, nor was he ever quizzed upon, his band’s neo-fascist supporters’ behaviour that day. Meanwhile, me and my fellow Moz heads made our tremulous way to the tube station, well before midnight, in blissful ignorance of just how this story was about to be spun by the popular music press we’d supported for years; so long as we remember exactly what took place that day, the chroniclers and revisionists can simply get on with glossing over the inconvenient truth."

Thanks for that. I appreciate the first hand account. It's also the first time I've ever seen video from the Madnesstock Concert. I still have to wonder what the f*** was going through Morrissey's head during all this, but I suppose I may never know.

Oh man, this uncleskinny meltdown is hilarious. I've never seen him so thoroughly owned by the community. I almost feel bad for him. xD

Then again, he's not much more childish than most of the posters here. I only read the comments because the incessant in-fighting by starstruck obsessives over the most petty shit never ceases to give me a hearty guffaw in addition to the confidence boost in being reminded how sane I am compared to some. xDDD

This post will no doubt too stir up some hilarious responses. *grabs some popcorn* Keep it coming, you goofy weirdos.

Oh man, this uncleskinny meltdown is hilarious. I've never seen him so thoroughly owned by the community. I almost feel bad for him. xD

Then again, he's not much more childish than most of the posters here. I only read the comments because the incessant in-fighting by starstruck obsessives over the most petty shit never ceases to give me a hearty guffaw in addition to the confidence boost in being reminded how sane I am compared to some. xDDD

This post will no doubt too stir up some hilarious responses. *grabs some popcorn* Keep it coming, you goofy weirdos.

Whatever your agenda is, whoever you are, you need to take a look at how pathetically distracting and transparent your many different posts are under the false pretense that you are a crusader for the positive dispensing of Morrissey information. You are about as aligned with promoting Morrissey News as Brummie is with shutting the f*** up. It's tiresome and a waste of a lot of time. Also you are losing. You can type that you're winning all you want, but you will go away and things will be peaceful and on topic again.

Here's yer f***en popcorn. Don't choke. :popcorn:

BTW "the owner", How can you adorn yourself with a username like that, then say "goofy weirdos"? No, your post no doubt hasn't stirred up any hilarious responses except a call-u-out response above :) & to top it off i'd say you eat coloured popcorn...all the time, chomping & spitting it through your goofy teeth, your uniqueness.

Thanks for that. I appreciate the first hand account. It's also the first time I've ever seen video from the Madnesstock Concert. I still have to wonder what the f*** was going through Morrissey's head during all this, but I suppose I may never know.
IMO (if any op's give a rats) he possibly seen it as a chance to bask in a patriotic soiree with an audience, apart from his own, who might know a little of where he was coming from... But it backfired because he was maybe playfully trying to salute with yobbos & fascists. Maybe David's life story got blown around the park more than he expected it too & they certainly weren't joining in OR...

were just waiting to start a riot because they didn't have a clue or even know what planet they came from, never mind country...

I am actually very curious about the whole Madstock incident. The way it always gets explained retroactively was that Morrissey was flirting with the far-right, trounced around on stage with a British flag, and that even though that was just a standard part of his repertoire at the time given the prevalence of neo-Nazis in Madness's fan base, the ambiguous lyrics of National Front Disco, and his general weird then fixation on skinhead culture resulted in quite a big backlash over his (rightfully or wrongly) perceived endorsement of the far-right/racist right.

There is also the whole he was pelted with objects by the far-right angle, which somehow always gets lost in this story and is as a result the part I am most interested in. My general understanding is that they didn't like his gold lament shirt/humansexuals in general and that even if Morrissey wanted his fan base to consist of skinheads in nail varnish they didn't really want to be his fans.

That's about the gist of it. I've just got back from the Emirates and whilst there's a few Metrosexuals on the pitch and a few Gay Gooners with a banner now and then, it's still pretty full on heterosexual Red Army lad banter. Morrissey was trolling 'the lads' in 92 and they told him to f*** off with his nonsense. The NME didn't realise Morrissey was just giving himself a hard-on by rolling his tongue at a few skinheads like a drunken troll after The Black Cap shuts, but others knew what he was up to. The NME decided to get all indignant and self-righteous and walked right into Morrissey's trap. So did Madness for letting the eejit cavort on their bill. But the lads weren't fooled by that Yer Arsenal malarkey.....

best
BB

Whatever your agenda is, whoever you are, you need to take a look at how pathetically distracting and transparent your many different posts are under the false pretense that you are a crusader for the positive dispensing of Morrissey information. You are about as aligned with promoting Morrissey News as Brummie is with shutting the f*** up. It's tiresome and a waste of a lot of time. Also you are losing. You can type that you're winning all you want, but you will go away and things will be peaceful and on topic again.

Here's yer f***en popcorn. Don't choke. :popcorn:

Why do you have to keep mentioning me? Are you trying to bask in my glow? It won't work. As for STFU...sez she with 30k posts...*rollseyes*

best
BB

Why do you have to keep mentioning me? Are you trying to bask in my glow? It won't work. As for STFU...sez she with 30k posts...*rollseyes*

best
BB

"Each person has to fight his own battle of Kurukshetra. It is a war not only worth winning, but in the divine order of the universe and of the eternal relationship between the soul and God, a war that sooner or later must be won."

This does not mean taking punches at Morrissey for funzies. He's got enough on his plate, we ALL do. I'm on your side at the end of the day but stop being a f***en dick.

Last edited:
"Each person has to fight his own battle of Kurukshetra. It is a war not only worth winning, but in the divine order of the universe and of the eternal relationship between the soul and God, a war that sooner or later must be won."

This does not mean taking punches at Morrissey for funzies. He's got enough on his plate, we ALL do. I'm on your side at the end of the day but stop being a f***en dick.

What the hell has Kurukshetra got to do with Madstock 92? Don't start going on about God or RB will lay into you with some Atheist smack-down. FBE!

I couldn't care less whether you're 'on my side' or making voodoo dolls of me. And I certainly couldn't care less about what Morrissey 'had on his plate'. He's trolling CANCER for lulz. He hasn't confirmed a diagnosis or Stage 1/2/3/4. He's taking the piss. AGAIN! Just like he tried with us Arsenal lads in 1992. He got his comeuppance then cuz we don't take Mancester piss takers to our hearts. He tried to storm North London in the early 90s. I was there, living in amongst it. I know so much more than I'm willing to say.....just ask Madness about 'BrummieBoy'. Not that they'd ever speak a word, knowing they were always chasing the coat-tails of Dexys and The Specials and knowing who 'BrummieBoy' actually is/was. Etc

Morrissey mocks and ridicules orphans, pregnant women, fat folk, 'Chinese' people, dead Norwegian teenagers and on and on. He had no qualms whatsoever about 'taking punches' at targets for 'funzies'. And then he has a hissy fit and storms off stage in Warsaw because 'he didn't feel safe' because someone called him a cancer-ridden old Trafford f*****. Or whatever the hell he imagines they said. Yet you feel he's deserving of being wrapped in cotton wool?

best
BB

What the hell has Kurukshetra got to do with Madstock 92? Don't start going on about God or RB will lay into you with some Atheist smack-down. FBE!

I couldn't care less whether you're 'on my side' or making voodoo dolls of me. And I certainly couldn't care less about what Morrissey 'had on his plate'. He's trolling CANCER for lulz. He hasn't confirmed a diagnosis or Stage 1/2/3/4. He's taking the piss. AGAIN! Just like he tried with us Arsenal lads in 1992. He got his comeuppance then cuz we don't take Mancester piss takers to our hearts. He tried to storm North London in the early 90s. I was there, living in amongst it. I know so much more than I'm willing to say.....just ask Madness about 'BrummieBoy'. Not that they'd ever speak a word, knowing they were always chasing the coat-tails of Dexys and The Specials and knowing who 'BrummieBoy' actually is/was. Etc

Morrissey mocks and ridicules orphans, pregnant women, fat folk, 'Chinese' people, dead Norwegian teenagers and on and on. He had no qualms whatsoever about 'taking punches' at targets for 'funzies'. And then he has a hissy fit and storms off stage in Warsaw because 'he didn't feel safe' because someone called him a cancer-ridden old Trafford f*****. Or whatever the hell he imagines they said. Yet you feel he's deserving of being wrapped in cotton wool?

best
BB

He's been tossed into Trigonometry without even testing out of pre-calc. He's going to make a lot of mistakes. Are you 100% accountable for all your mistakes with the added bonus of being saddled with a looming ghost that haunts you and a devil that hijacks a lot of the threads of his mind? No. Because you're f***en perfect. So keep talking. Your words give you away. It's hilare.

Kulu-who?

I think I know you. Were you the palm reader that had a place on Santa Monica, that was raided for having balloons under a trap door? Went by the name Kalunda?

Re: Article: "Madness stars still angry over Morrissey gig walkout" - Daily Express

That's about the gist of it. I've just got back from the Emirates and whilst there's a few Metrosexuals on the pitch and a few Gay Gooners with a banner now and then, it's still pretty full on heterosexual Red Army lad banter. Morrissey was trolling 'the lads' in 92 and they told him to f*** off with his nonsense. The NME didn't realise Morrissey was just giving himself a hard-on by rolling his tongue at a few skinheads like a drunken troll after The Black Cap shuts, but others knew what he was up to. The NME decided to get all indignant and self-righteous and walked right into Morrissey's trap. So did Madness for letting the eejit cavort on their bill. But the lads weren't fooled by that Yer Arsenal malarkey.....

best
BB

I am actually slightly skeptical that Morrissey was trolling the skinheads, though I don't reject that notion outright. There's always been a weird populist/homoerotic tendency that sort of romanticizes the sort of socially and economically male (usually violent) criminal (sort of like the lumpenproletariat I suppose) in his lyrics. It's in some of The Smiths songs (I Want The One I Can't Have, Sweet and Tender Hooligan) and is at least partially related to his fixation on British Kitchen Sink films. That he's able to transcend from far-left to far-right isn't so surprising since these archetypes can just as easily be seen as the base for rightwing populist groups as lefty 1960s art films and considering the change in focus from the left from class-based politics to identity politics/post-modernism and the rise of far-right populists groups in the early 1990s this makes sense in the Your Arsenal context.. It would also explain what he sees in the films of Pasolini, though who knows--maybe's he's just a really big fan of Salo.

- - - Updated - - -

IMO (if any op's give a rats) he possibly seen it as a chance to bask in a patriotic soiree with an audience, apart from his own, who might know a little of where he was coming from... But it backfired because he was maybe playfully trying to salute with yobbos & fascists. Maybe David's life story got blown around the park more than he expected it too & they certainly weren't joining in OR...

were just waiting to start a riot because they didn't have a clue or even know what planet they came from, never mind country...

I do feel like Morrissey was flirting with far-right culture in the 1990s and it wasn't all just the NME being out to get him. And in this case I don't really find him very sympathetic. At least when he said years later that of course he didn't support the National Front they'd he'd be the first person they would kill he could say he was speaking from personal experience.

Re: Article: "Madness stars still angry over Morrissey gig walkout" - Daily Express

I am actually slightly skeptical that Morrissey was trolling the skinheads, though I don't reject that notion outright. There's always been a weird populist/homoerotic tendency that sort of romanticizes the sort of socially and economically male (usually violent) criminal (sort of like the lumpenproletariat I suppose) in his lyrics. It's in some of The Smiths songs (I Want The One I Can't Have, Sweet and Tender Hooligan) and is at least partially related to his fixation on British Kitchen Sink films. That he's able to transcend from far-left to far-right isn't so surprising since these archetypes can just as easily be seen as the base for rightwing populist groups as lefty 1960s art films and considering the change in focus from the left from class-based politics to identity politics/post-modernism and the rise of far-right populists groups in the early 1990s this makes sense in the Your Arsenal context.. It would also explain what he sees in the films of Pasolini, though who knows--maybe's he's just a really big fan of Salo.

- - - Updated - - -

I do feel like Morrissey was flirting with far-right culture in the 1990s and it wasn't all just the NME being out to get him. And in this case I don't really find him very sympathetic. At least when he said years later that of course he didn't support the National Front they'd he'd be the first person they would kill he could say he was speaking from personal experience.

'In this Internet age, Morrissey is the quintessential troll'

'Morrissey’s deliberately inflammatory remarks may have called his character into question on many occasions, and his click-bait tendencies can cause even the most ardent fan to despair.'

http://www.clashmusic.com/reviews/live-report-morrissey-at-the-o2-arena-london

best
BB

A Brummie who follows Arsenal? Oh dear.. Are you Mike Skinner?

A Brummie who follows Arsenal? Oh dear.. Are you Mike Skinner?

Very funny. I lived in North/East London for 17 years in the 80s/90s. My son was/is a mad Gooner so I got 'infected'. Plus it's just too painful to follow BCFC with their Chinese criminal Triad owners, not to mention abyssmal playing.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/spo...s/birmingham-citys-worst-ever-defeats-7999476

I just love The Beautiful Game and I love London. And when my boy was mad about Arsenal I was able to put Hillsborough behind me and stop hating the whole Corporate Big Football mess. I grew to hate it almost as much as I hate Corporate music/gigs at places like the NEC/NIA/o2/3 when Thatcher used Hillsborough as an excuse to get rid of the terraces.

Wonder if Moz has met up with Roy Keane yet? Roy's fcuked off from the Villans. That lasted a long time...*rolleyes*.

best
BB

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom