Maladjusted re-release..

hoax in mainpage

That picture looks familiar though (under the Maladjusted era):

http://motorcycleaupairboy.com/gallery/categories.php?cat_id=119

Yeah, anyone can post photoshopped fake album cover using some pictures taken at that time.

I noticed "Timothy Kui" sounded rather dubious.

Does anyone remember we had a hoax thread "Something is Squeezing My Skull" was the first single of Years of Refusal posted here in August?

The culprit knows that moderators can spot him straight away.
This time he submitted the story to David in order to fool him.

Last edited:
So ridiculous.
clearly some people have too much time on their hands.

I'm relieved that was a hoax. I was poking fun at the album cover yesterday, but didn't wanna say I flat out hated it (though I did) because that would've seemed mean if it had sadly been for real.

You have to admit it was a funny hoax. Tseng should be more careful in ensuring the stuff he posts on the main page are legit stories because he keeps posting erroneous news items and one time it almost got him sued by Moz.

One thing I found odd was, if the person who perpetrated this hoax was so easily discovered by Tseng by his IP address, how did this erroneous news story get posted on the main page in the first place?

Are you telling me that Tseng posts any item he receives from anonymous people without even looking at their IP addresses to see if they are known "trolls"??

The thing I don't get is, if Tseng is saying it is so easy to see who did this hoax by looking at the IP info, wouldn't he have spotted this before he posted it on the main page?

Last edited:
One thing I found odd was, if the person who perpetrated this hoax was so easily discovered by Tseng by his IP address, how did this erroneous news story get posted on the main page in the first place?

Are you telling me that Tsent posts any item he recieves from anonymous people without even looking at their IP addresses to see if they are known "trolls"??

The thing I don't get is, if Tseng is saying it is so easy to see who did this hoax by looking at the IP info, wouldn't he have spotted this before he posted it on the main page?

No, I didn't check the IP, usually I don't. Sometimes I am in a rush and don't read everything carefully or I fall back into my naive idea that I can trust people to send in news that is not made up

Even if I did check the IP, most of the other Viva Hate submissions were actually real stories so that may not have changed my mind. I was alerted to the hoax and then saw Viva Hate's comments on it that it was obvious. Of course it's easier to say after the fact I should have known all along.

By the way, your comment "...he keeps posting erroneous news items and one time it almost got him sued by Moz" is erroneous. What was posted was not erroneous as far as I know or I would have posted a correction. He was threatening to sue if I didn't remove it.

By the way, your comment "...he keeps posting erroneous news items and one time it almost got him sued by Moz" is erroneous. What was posted was not erroneous as far as I know or I would have posted a correction. He was threatening to sue if I didn't remove it.

Perhaps others won't see it this way, but I find this a big story, that you are still standing behind that controversial main page news item that Morrissey threatened to sue you over.

I'm just another SoLower in the world, so I have no idea about what's true and what's false.

But you are still standing behind that story Morrissey found to be such a huge defamation that he had his lawyers threatening you?

If the story was accurate, you have nothing to apologize for.

But how much confidence can we have, when the news page is so often posting hoaxes?

Last edited:
Excuse my ignorance, but which story was it that Moz didn't like? I don't remember that one...

It was the news story SoLow broke claiming Morrissey was a crook who was not paying his crew and band.

Morrissey's lawyers replied:

TESSER & RUTTENBERG
Los Angeles, California 90025
TEL: (***) ***-****
FAX: (***) ***-****

Writer's Direct Dial
(***) ***-****

May 1, 2003
VIA EMAIL ([email protected])

David Tseng
Santa Monica, California 90404
RE: www.morrissey-solo.com

Dear Mr. Tseng:

This firm represents Steven Morrissey p/k/a "Morrissey." Our client has become aware
that you run a website located at www.morrissey-solo.com which currently displays a
thread of user postings regarding our client's confidential business affairs (and
specifically the payment of monies to his band and crew) that contains numerous
falsehoods, unfounded rumors and outright lies. These postings and the content contained
therein are defamatory, libelous and actionable.

Your accommodation of and specific allowance for the continued transmission of such
material is not only in violation of Federal, State and local regulations, but a
violation and infringement of our client's rights, and may subject you to criminal as
well as civil liability.

In light of the foregoing, we demand that you immediately remove the posting thread that
contains all such defamatory content. We further demand that you immediately provide us
with written assurance that you will comply with this request and will continue to
monitor and remove any and all additional postings or content that contains similar or
other defamatory statements. Should you fail to comply with the foregoing by 11:00 PM
today (May 1, 2003), be advised that our client is prepared to hold you personally liable
for such actions and will seek to have your entire website completely shut down.

We have not set forth each and every claim our client may have, and we expressly reserve
on his behalf all rights, privileges and remedies with respect to these matters. We
emphasize that our client views this as a matter of the utmost gravity and is prepared to
take all steps necessary and appropriate to protect his rights. Failure to remove such
content will be deemed a willful infringement of our client's rights and will leave our
client no other choice but to enforce his rights through litigation. Given the
seriousness of this matter, we look forward to your prompt response and cooperation.

Sincerely,
TESSER & RUTTENBERG
By: /s/ Jason J. Liberman
Jason J. Liberman

JJL/ws
Cc: Steven Morrissey

FW: www.morrissey-solo.com
Sent: 5/3/03 7:44:28 AM
To: <[email protected]>

David:

We have provided you the information you requested in the email below. However, the thread
is still on-line. What is the status? Because of the seriousness of this issue and the
damage it is causing my client, we have been instructed to seek civil damages and apply for
injuctive relief in Los Angeles Superior Court to remove the offending threads and
potentially shut down the site in the event you do not immediately cooperate. Please provide
me a response this weekend.

Jason J. Liberman

TESSER & RUTTENBERG

---
---

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 5/2/03 1:54:22 PM
To: "David Tseng" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: www.morrissey-solo.com

David:

We need you to immediately remove the thread and all postings thereunder titled "Rumors--did
morrissey not pay his tour crew." That thread contains numerous postings that are false and
defamatory. Moreover, the statements in the thread contain confidential business
information.

To avoid legal action, please act immediately as outlined above and in my letter to you dated
May 1, 2003.

Jason Liberman

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 5/1/03 9:05:26 PM
To: "Jason Liberman"<--->
Subject: Re: www.morrissey-solo.com

Hi Jason,

I need some more information. Can you send me the specific links that you want
removed? In these links, I also need to know specifically which passages are
untrue and defamatory. Thanks

David

On Thursday 01 May 2003 02:37 pm, Jason Liberman wrote:
> Mr. Tseng:
>
> The law firm of Tesser & Ruttenberg represents Steven Morrissey. Please
> read the attached "cease and desist" letter concerning certain content
> contained in your website, www.morrissey-solo.com
> <http://www.morrissey-solo.com/> . I look forward to your immediate
> response.
>
> Jason J. Liberman
>
> _______________________________________
> Jason J. Liberman
> TESSER & RUTTENBERG
> ---
> ---
>

State of the site, after the dust has settled

posted by davidt on Wednesday May 14 2003, @07:30AM

It's been over 10 days since Morrissey's lawyer emailed about filing an injunction and the legal action. No word yet on anything further.

I have read through most of the comments and emails. Some arguments were made on Morrissey's side against me but mostly support, which I found overwhelming. I received several offers to help with the legal costs and even some donations through the PayPal account I set up for the emergency server fund a couple years ago, which is now (hopefully temporarily) the emergency legal fund. All the money collected since I started it is still there, so I should be fine.

I am not worried because 1) we have freedom of speech in this country and 2) I did not post the items that are claimed to be false/defamatory anyway. That doesn't mean anything can be posted without consequence, it means the person who posted it is responsible for what they say, which is how I choose to run the site. The initial Cease and Desist I see mainly as an act of intimidation which did have some effect initially. I have never had a lawyer or gone through any lawsuits. Fortunately I am surrounded by brilliant people who kept me calm and gave good advice.

The topic of the appropriateness of the rumor to begin with was mentioned a lot. It is an uncomfortable topic, perhaps intrusive, but I do not regret posting it. My reasoning was basically to liken it to a similar story posted in Nov. 2000 about Gary Westman, the road manager stealing that year's US tour profits (link). Morrissey did not mind the topic being brought up then, in fact he insisted on it. The current situation is similar, except perhaps in reverse. Why is it suddenly none of my business now? By the way, I am now hearing, over 2 years later, that Gary Westman actually did not steal the money. I don't know the story and I am sorry I was talked into posting it. Although it is too late to mean much, I apologize to Gary and will make an amendment to the story.

The crew member I know was working on the tour wrote to me after the rumor was posted that he and others hadn't been paid yet and I have no reason to doubt him. I don't think it's too much to ask for your fair share. If Morrissey or his lawyers had pointed out to me exactly what was false I would have reviewed it and maybe I would have deleted it and then I would have posted why I deleted it. But they insisted on removing the post and all of the comments which goes against free speech and my general policy of not deleting comments. Morrissey knows I have posted and will post on the site any statement he wants to make. It's always been up to him.

As for the site itself, I am still not sure but I think it will continue on. There are many paradoxes in these recent events, this website and the internet in general. It keeps things exciting I suppose and proves to me that there is still a lot of passion left. I've made it through some of the toughest challenges in the last couple of years and this is just another one I will make it through. My feelings on Morrissey are that I am still a fan but it appears to me the direction he is heading in is a dangerous one.

I'm agnostic about what's true and what's false in all of that.

I don't think Moz's lawsuit would've held up in court, regardless of how accurate Tseng's news story was. But it remains a massive controversy as to whether he should've posted it.

And I didn't know that David Tseng was still standing behind that news story in 2008.

It's hard to know what to believe, especially when so many hoaxes get posted.

That stuff appeared to have been one of the reasons Morrissey turned to True To You as the web site he releases official info from. And that's not something Tseng should feel bad about. If Morrissey just wants a shill web site, he has found it with True To You. But I had wondered if relations towards SoLow had softened when Merck Mercuriadis began posting items to this site.

I wasn't aware that SoLow was still standing behind the news story that Morrissey had his lawyers threaten to sue over. How do we know it wasn't just another in the long line of hoaxes that have made it to the main page with virtually no vetting?

Last edited:
I am pleased that it is a hoax, Its not that I didn't like that picture but you can't beat the original. I wonder will there be any B-sides added?

You have it mostly correct, but yeah, only a few people really know the full extent of what went on at that time. Please do not put words in my mouth - I did not claim Morrissey was responsible. I did not believe this was a hoax as the person that sent me the info I had been in contact before. He was obviously angry and was posting this stuff in the comments, I just surfaced it.

If you look at all the other hoaxes that have been on the site (you probably can count them on one hand), you will see I added a correction and usually pretty quickly. I have made several mistakes over the 11+ years of running the site, but who is perfect?

It was the news story SoLow broke claiming Morrissey was a crook who was not paying his crew and band.

Morrissey's lawyers replied:

I'm agnostic about what's true and what's false in all of that.

I don't think Moz's lawsuit would've held up in court, regardless of how accurate Tseng's news story was. But it remains a massive controversy as to whether he should've posted it.

And I didn't know that David Tseng was still standing behind that news story in 2008.

It's hard to know what to believe, especially when so many hoaxes get posted.

That stuff appeared to have been one of the reasons Morrissey turned to True To You as the web site he releases official info from. And that's not something Tseng should feel bad about. If Morrissey just wants a shill web site, he has found it with True To You. But I had wondered if relations towards SoLow had softened when Merck Mercuriadis began posting items to this site.

I wasn't aware that SoLow was still standing behind the news story that Morrissey had his lawyers threaten to sue over. How do we know it wasn't just another in the long line of hoaxes that have made it to the main page with virtually no vetting?

David,

We should probably all do it a lot more often, but I just wanted to take a moment and publicly THANK YOU for running and owning this site for all these years. I have and continue to benefit immensley from it!

Sincerely,
Erik (Nashville)

moz.jpg

I made up a revamped Maladjusted era playlist on iTunes, primarily to see what the songs would sound like in a completely different order. For the hell of it, I kept to 14 songs like the Southpaw remaster, but also because I haven't heard any of the rumoured outtakes so I placed them separately at the end:

1. Sorrow Will Come In The End
2. Roy's Keen
3. Satan Rejected My Soul
4. I Can Have Both
5. Alma Matters
6. Maladjusted
7. He Cried
8. Papa Jack
9. Trouble Loves Me
10. Ambitious Outsiders
11. Lost
12. Wide To Receive
13. The Edges Are No Longer Parallel
14. Ammunition

possible bonus tracks:

15. I Know Who I Love
16. Hanratty
17. I'm Not Worth Hitting

I don't dislike it, but I don't rate it either. It has some great songs on, but it's really let down by the fact it's got some real stinkers as well. 'Papa Jack' being the worst candidate. What's more frustrating is the quality of the b-sides from that era were just thrown away on bad to average singles. Had they been on the album it would have been regarded as a very strong album. But I'm sure people have already come to this conclusion.

Last edited:
Tags
lolsuit
Back
Top Bottom