Manchester: It Never Rains (book by Gareth Ashton)

I was recently given this book, which came out in 2019 (Empire Publications) which is the story of punk in Manchester as told by fans and key players on the scene who were there at the time.
Includes a few Morrissey mentions (disappointingly all referring to his name spelt as Stephen.....)

Carol O'Donnell (described as being early on the scene and lived with Pete Shelley)
'The first proper album I got was 'Hunky Dory'. I lived in Stretford and my mate was going out with Steve Morrissey and we used to go round to his house and it was him that got me into Bowie and Marc Bolan. After that 'A Portrait Of Donny' went out the window! This would have been around 1972/73. I remember he played 'Five Years' and I was like, Wow, and that was it, like you know? So I ended up begging him to play some more. One of my good mates was heavily into Gary Glitter, she absolutely adored him. He used to make my skin crawl, way before what we know about him now. She was also into the Bay City Rollers. All I can say is thank God for Stephen Morrissey as otherwise I may have ended up going down the same route myself. He changed my life basically.

Fran Taylor (described as an early gig goer and roadie for Buzzcocks)
A lot of thrown together magazines were made on Tib Street, there was a company that used to print these things, pamphlets, that sort of thing. Whatever was the latest fad they'd print up a 20 page booklet or whatever. They did one for Bowie and others and flogged them outside at gigs. Morrissey wrote a book for one of these companies about the New York Dolls in 1981, which is very much a collector's piece these days.

Steve McGarry (designed the logo for Slaughter & The Dogs and sleeves for Rabid Records)
(Talking about Slaughter & The Dogs) Since then the band had undergone multifarious mutations including a very brief appearance in the band by Morrissey

Brian Grantham (original drummer with Slaughter & The Dogs)
Morrissey joined the band around the time we were rehearsing at TJM's. My memory of him is that he always sat down, chilled with a khaki jacket and green canvas shoulder bag. He sat with the mic singing and I suggested he should stand up to sing. In my opinion he didn't have that edge in his voice to suit the band, therefore he did just a few rehearsals.

A small chapter on Ed Banger & The Nosebleeds.
Vini Faal (the bands manager) had already earmarked Eddie's successor as 'another kid I've got my eye on'. That kid was Stephen Patrick Morrissey. Another luminary to pass through the Nosebleeds alumni was Billy Duffy, who went on to find fame with The Cult.

20240506_173531.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, one of the best, for sure.

Definitely, it's interesting that we all follow artists that we really like but we don't actually know them at all. I bumped into JOHN ROBB in Manchester Airport not long after Pete had passed away (he was off to Mexico for an interview and I was on my way to Dublin for a work thing) and he told me that Pete had been on statins since he was in his twenties, I was shocked when he told me (as I had had a number of good nights out with him) but it also helped me come to terms with why he passed away at a relatively young age.

Back
Top Bottom