Manchester Smiths Tour

Hey all,
I just wanted to say thanks for all the replies that piled up here in the last couple of months! I stopped following at some point when I thought the conversation was over, but just popped in here again and was surprised to see all the new messages. :)

I got Phil Gatenby's book as some of you recommended (I actually found it at Waterstone's in Arndale) but alas I haven't actually given myself the tour yet.
I am leaving Manchester in a couple of weeks and am supposed to finish writing a thesis during this time, but I plan to take at least a weekend off no matter what and go see all the places I haven't seen yet (ie anything that isn't in the fallowfield-oxford st area).
I'm also planning on getting to Macclesfield at some point to visit the cemetery.

Since my classmates here have no interest in any of these things whatsoever, I'm just writing here again in case any one is reading this and would like to join me. I must admit my reasons are kinda selfish, I just want company and somebody who could photograph me at the Salford Lads Club. ;)

So, if anyone is around Manchester during the next couple of weeks and is up for a grand tour weekend, feel free to contact me. :)

Once again, thanks to everyone who replied on this thread for all the useful advice.

Did you go to Star & Garter, Fairfield Street on 2nd July?
You could've found someone to help you in there.

Perhaps he could help people on here.

Has he been banned?

Rather get Phill to sign a blank cheque ha ha:thumb:

Hey reutc,

Phill/JJ (author of Morrissey's Manchester and Panic On The Streets)is doing a tour for my mate and i sometime during the week of 17th-23rd July.

PM me if you fancy joining us on the tour and we can arrange a time/day to suit all - I spoke to Phill and he said this would be fine.

He's a top bloke and he is really sadly missed on this forum, not just for his knowledge about Moz, but for his extremely funny posts. You'll love him.:thumb:

Cheers

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Manchester Music Tours' website has so many mistakes, factual and spelling/grammar, that I'm surprised anyone takes it seriously.
I just read the pages for all three tours, Smiths, Oasis and Joy Division, and can't decide which one is the worst.

Attention to detail is zero. Not a great advertisement.

I will offer a prize to anyone who lists all the mistakes...

I just spoke to JJ again, he's such a sweet man, he does these tours cause he really loves Moz and Manchester (that comes across really strongly in his books). He said he'd take you on the tour for free if you buy him a few half's and a half 'un.:thumb:

Top bloke!:)

Lucky you to be over there now :). I'll be going over to the UK next summer to study abroad for an internship program. I'll be over there for about two months and plan on going to Manchester when there (I'll be in London). Would love to join you, but unfortunately I'll be in Pennsylvania :lbf:. Hope you have a great time, though :D.

A voice from beyond the grave has sent me this public service announcement:

There will be a chance to join a few a couple of members from Solow on a tour of the Morrissey related sites on Sunday 18th July and Tuesday 20th (early evening).

The Sunday will be the Lads Club / Kings Road / Iron Bridge and Southern Cemetery via public transport and the Tuesday evening a stroll around the city centre with a general music tour.
No charge whatsoever, just the bus fare!

Anyone else interested in joining us, email [email protected]

Yours from beyond the grave
Jukebox Jury​

Cheers
Dave

There will be a chance to join a few a couple of members from Solow on a tour of the Morrissey related sites on Sunday 18th July and Tuesday 20th (early evening).

The Sunday will be the Lads Club / Kings Road / Iron Bridge and Southern Cemetery via public transport and the Tuesday evening a stroll around the city centre with a general music tour.

Jukebox Jury​

Cheers
Dave

Excellent Dave, are you coming along too?

There's a club if you'd like to go
You could meet somebody who really loves you
So you go, and you stand on your own, and you leave on your own, and you go home, and you cry, and you want to die.

There's a club if you'd like to go
You could meet somebody who really loves you
So you go, and you stand on your own, and you leave on your own, and you go home, and you cry, and you want to die.

But at least when you're surrounded by Smiths fans, you know they will be feeling equally desolate :lbf:

Jukebox Jury​

Cheers
Dave

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Dave, I think the tour you talk of on Sunday is taking place on Saturday.
Free tour of Morrissey's Manchester by Phill Gatenby
Saturday 17th, and Tuesday 20th July 2010

Myself and a few friends did the Smiths tour a few months, with Craig. I have to say, it was brilliant, we went to every site you can think of in Manchester, and Craig knew the ins and outs and all the history so well. It was a good price and I'd recommend it to anyone who'll listen! I wouldn't be put off doing the tour based on a few typos on a webpage.

I'd love to say my Ouija Board was playing up, but all I did was cut n paste...

I drove down Kings Road and past Southern Cemetry (sic) on Tuesday - I felt guilty as I had The Cribs CD on in the car...

Enjoy the trip.

Dave

Dave, I think the tour you talk of on Sunday is taking place on Saturday.
Free tour of Morrissey's Manchester by Phill Gatenby
Saturday 17th, and Tuesday 20th July 2010

Unfortunately Smiths fans are just a shower of bastards like everyone else.
They just like the Smths as well.

Oh, I don't doubt that. I'd just add "miserable" to the description as well.

that's a sensitive subject... I actually live right next to the star & garter but for some reason assumed the smiths disco was on saturday. i only found out i was wrong at 1am friday night and felt like banging my head against the wall. :\

so I'm going to join that Saturday trip, which is just perfect as I'm leaving two days later. Will be the perfect end to my stay in Manchester. :)
Thanks everyone here!

Back
Top Bottom