Marr, 8th Oct 2015: "It's a shame The Smiths aren't on better terms (with each other)"

Re: Marr, 8th Oct 2015: "It's a shame The Smiths aren't on better terms [with each other]"

Johnny Marr was interviewed on Granada Reports (North West England news program) about his current tour and new live album.

http://www.itv.com/news/granada/2015-10-08/johnny-marr-i-only-get-nerves-in-manchester

He’s asked, of course, about reforming The Smiths. To the reporter's credit, he gives it more of a spin by asking if he’s jealous of similar acts reforming, such as The Stone Roses.

The question starts around 8:20 and ends with Marr saying…

"It's a shame The Smiths aren't on better terms [with each other], but that's bands for you…”

Seems like an olive branch of sorts. Interesting. It's a damn shame they can't just bury the hatchet after all these years.

is it a shame them not being friends or not reforming because i dont think its just a matter of getting along that would have them reform the smiths. if its just about friendship, the olive branch, then thats pretty cool but if its an olive branch to reuniting then it just seems like weve heard it before. as to reforming, moz just doesnt want to and johnny seems to want desire it. nothing wrong either way with eithers desire but friends or not its just not gonna happen. if you were there then lucky you, thats what makes it special. does he talk about his next solo album and what he wants to do with that. playland seemed different than the messenger and i wonder if the next one will be different still or as synthesis of the two. maybe hell start another band of equals but unknowns

Johnny Marr was interviewed on Granada Reports (North West England news program) about his current tour and new live album.

Johnny Marr: I only get nerves in Manchester - ITV News

He’s asked, of course, about reforming The Smiths. To the reporter's credit, he gives it more of a spin by asking if he’s jealous of similar acts reforming, such as The Stone Roses.

The question starts around 8:20 and ends with Marr saying…

"It's a shame The Smiths aren't on better terms [with each other], but that's bands for you…”

Seems like an olive branch of sorts. Interesting. It's a damn shame they can't just bury the hatchet after all these years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reunions usually don't work. Bernard Butler and Brett Anderson came together for The Tears and the resultant album was ok but not great. Certainly not a patch on Suede. Serious fans don't want a Smiths reunion. Not really. We just want Moz to get an album deal and come back with his best solo album. I wouldn't mind him changing his musicians and bringing back Whyte and Stephen Street.

Re: Marr, 8th Oct 2015: "It's a shame The Smiths aren't on better terms [with each other]"

Regarding the possible reunion, a good point was made a couple of years ago by Tony Fletcher who basically said that all the fans can be looking for is Marr sharing the same stage with Morrissey AND his current band as some sort of a guest. Personally, I really want it to happen as it certainly won't damage Smiths' legacy while making all of us happy.

Who knows? The Smiths were born unconventional. Maybe Marr should tap on someone's window...

When all is said and done, I have come to the conclusion that "Ringleader" is the one and only Morrissey Masterpiece.

Johnny is a top bloke.

Wish more people had his class.

Reunions usually don't work. Bernard Butler and Brett Anderson came together for The Tears and the resultant album was ok but not great. Certainly not a patch on Suede. Serious fans don't want a Smiths reunion. Not really. We just want Moz to get an album deal and come back with his best solo album. I wouldn't mind him changing his musicians and bringing back Whyte and Stephen Street.

Not really. A lot of people (not me tho) want a smiths or a Morrissey/ Marr reunion. Not even gonna lie, a Moz/marr reunion at least for a few gigs would be great

Well it's pretty hard to make up with people when you've just killed them in your book (I hear).

One hopes one at least got a quick huge bulb out of it.

There'll be people to tell you "it's not just what/who you think it is" "more layers than an onion" "he's more subtle and intelligent than he looks..." and all that...

I don't doubt it. It's like me, there's more to me than meets the eye:
like, you probably wouldn't suspect it, but I blow penguins for a living.

Well it's pretty hard to make up with people when you've just killed them in your book (I hear)

Maybe Moz just killed them in his book but then tell me how you call THEIR behaviour for years and years and years after the breakup while Moz pretty much kept silent. Every single story we know or think to know from the Smiths era comes from THEM.

I know someone who used to play with Marr in one of his previous bands. He swears that they were in a taxi once, and Marr received a text from Morrissey asking him to consider the Coachella offer. Marr rubbished the suggestion and blew Moz off.

'I just presumed it was 25%' those words will forever haunt The Smiths.

I really want to read Johnny's autobiography. I NEED to hear his side of the story.

Oh ! Just you wait !
Steven is going to come out of it sillier than ever.

Benny-the-British-Butcher

I know someone who used to play with Marr in one of his previous bands. He swears that they were in a taxi once, and Marr received a text from Morrissey asking him to consider the Coachella offer. Marr rubbished the suggestion and blew Moz off.

ok i don't know if what you're saying is true, but i've heard that Moz wanted a reunion with Marr, but Marr said it would have to be after he finished a tour with either Modest Mouse or The Cribs (i wish i could remember the year i heard about the supposed reunion moz wanted) and Moz got really angry about it. Also, i read on twitter that someone who works in the Manchester music scene, that Moz was totally lying in his autobiography when he said that Marr wanted a reunion but moz didn't, when in reality it was moz who always wanted a reunion and it was Marr who always refused.

The funny part? Mike Joyce was the taxi driver!

i really dont want a smiths reunion but im not that much against it i suppose though it would make me respect them a little less. i am however very very indifferent to it. i dont know about rumors but im pretty sure, i could be wrong that it was in print johnny saying he wasnt rich enough to turn down that kind of money though again i could be wrong as i dont archive there interviews or reread them constantly. im a little leery about a marr auto bio since hes gone on record so much as wanting to preserve the myth of musical acts. didnt he go on about how the kinks bio was ruined by facts and the spirit of the feeling was killed. doesnt make me to confident about what he would have to say about the smiths though i would buy and read it of course. i dont think him a singer per se but i loved liked his solo albums and was really happy to see him just go out there, especially after the healers. i think itd be cool if he found some unknown singer and make something out of a situation like that. he really is a great guitarist and can be a great songwriter if he can get out of his own way

The funny part? Mike Joyce was the taxi driver!

cute.

he's looking always forward, while Morrissey also does but with a grudge, I remeber Morrisey telling
at larry King or Alan Carr, the Smiths weren't friends, we were young....etc. ..., well from Johnny words I hear the same,
no Smiths reunion, the closest what ever can become is the 2 M"s accidently meeting at an airport or the likes,
and does a gues appeareance...

from the lowlands, we mourn, no France soccer EC

The smiths were a band of the eighties, time passes, people change and the music as well. Morrissey's career as a solo artist has been way longer and successful, i don't see why The Smiths should reform...I mean, we all love the band but if they would come back together i don't think it would be the same as in the 80's. They disbanded in 1987, their career was short but amazing and then Marr did his own thing, same for Morrissey. They said multiple times they didn't want The Smiths to come back. They even get irritated when people ask about it. I don'want The Smiths back on the scene, it would be a forced thing and i don't care, if i want i listen to their music(which i love) and that's about it. At the moment i just want Moz to get a record deal.

Tags
johnny marr morrissey reform relationship the smiths

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom