Marr, 8th Oct 2015: "It's a shame The Smiths aren't on better terms (with each other)"

Re: Marr, 8th Oct 2015: "It's a shame The Smiths aren't on better terms [with each other]"

Johnny Marr was interviewed on Granada Reports (North West England news program) about his current tour and new live album.

http://www.itv.com/news/granada/2015-10-08/johnny-marr-i-only-get-nerves-in-manchester

He’s asked, of course, about reforming The Smiths. To the reporter's credit, he gives it more of a spin by asking if he’s jealous of similar acts reforming, such as The Stone Roses.

The question starts around 8:20 and ends with Marr saying…

"It's a shame The Smiths aren't on better terms [with each other], but that's bands for you…”

Seems like an olive branch of sorts. Interesting. It's a damn shame they can't just bury the hatchet after all these years.

is it a shame them not being friends or not reforming because i dont think its just a matter of getting along that would have them reform the smiths. if its just about friendship, the olive branch, then thats pretty cool but if its an olive branch to reuniting then it just seems like weve heard it before. as to reforming, moz just doesnt want to and johnny seems to want desire it. nothing wrong either way with eithers desire but friends or not its just not gonna happen. if you were there then lucky you, thats what makes it special. does he talk about his next solo album and what he wants to do with that. playland seemed different than the messenger and i wonder if the next one will be different still or as synthesis of the two. maybe hell start another band of equals but unknowns

Re: Marr, 8th Oct 2015: "It's a shame The Smiths aren't on better terms [with each other]"

I don't want a Moz and Marr reunion. I want my memory of The Smiths unsullied.

And Moz's best work is undoubtedly behind him. Get over it. It's called ageing.

if Johnny writes one...I'm sure that would be the hatchet that buries any possibility of a reunion.

- - - Updated - - -

...it would only make a handful happy on this site.

The book is written and ready to go in the new year.
Also note : Johnny will NEVER share/step on the same stage as the Lawnmowers for they are not worthy.

Benny-the-British-Butcher

I don't want a Moz and Marr reunion. I want my memory of The Smiths unsullied.

And Moz's best work is undoubtedly behind him. Get over it. It's called ageing.

Last edited by a moderator:

It's farcical in a way how Morrissey was open to a reunion for so long with Johnny and then when Johnny finally relents Morrissey doesn't want to know and now the 2 of them aren't even on cordial terms anyhow (wonder what happened there?)

Morrissey may claim to have a perfect family unit with his current band but you can't tell me he'd keep in touch with any of them if they weren't touring together, even Boz to an extent, and that he has a relationship off-stage with any of the current lot that comes anywhere near to what he had with Johnny (and Angie).

It's like ships in the night at the moment and unless something drastic happens which forces Morrissey and Johnny into a room together for a sustained spell then I can't see any reformation happening - they aren't getting any younger and it's more likely that we'll have a Joe Strummer situation sadly.

The smiths were a band of the eighties, time passes, people change and the music as well. Morrissey's career as a solo artist has been way longer and successful, i don't see why The Smiths should reform...I mean, we all love the band but if they would come back together i don't think it would be the same as in the 80's. They disbanded in 1987, their career was short but amazing and then Marr did his own thing, same for Morrissey. They said multiple times they didn't want The Smiths to come back. They even get irritated when people ask about it. I don'want The Smiths back on the scene, it would be a forced thing and i don't care, if i want i listen to their music(which i love) and that's about it. At the moment i just want Moz to get a record deal.

Thats my view as well, they were good at the time and if they reformed it would simply be for the cash.

Thats my view as well, they were good at the time and if they reformed it would simply be for the cash.
Exactly. I appreciate Morrissey's coherence and real fans appreciate it as well.

Why would the interviewer bring up the Stone Roses? They reformed in 2012, did a couple of years of touring, teased us about releasing some new music then disappeared again.

It's farcical in a way how Morrissey was open to a reunion for so long with Johnny and then when Johnny finally relents Morrissey doesn't want to know and now the 2 of them aren't even on cordial terms anyhow (wonder what happened there?)

Yes, lets not forget there were long periods during Morrissey's early solo career when he was publically open to the idea of a reunion with Johnny. If you believe 'Autobiography' (and it's hard to know exactly how truthful Morrissey is being at any given moment), then the court case seems to have driven a very final nail into the coffin of the Smiths.

But never mind all this talk of 'reunions', I think all Johnny is talking about here is that it's a shame they don't even have a relationship anymore outside the band. Forget cash-in greatest hits tours, or the pipe-dream of Morrissey and Marr working on new material together - at this stage things are so dysfunctional they can't even work together in the way most defunct 'heritage' bands can, with Morrissey blocking the release of any unreleased archival material. I'd be happy for the two of them to finally bury the hatchet, focus on all the amazing things they achieved, and just have one photo of the pair of together them smiling with thumbs up at the camera. That would be enough for me.

But, alas, what it will probably take is Johnny getting run over by a bus before Morrissey suddenly realises it's all too late, changes his mind, and starts gushing praise.

Why would the interviewer bring up the Stone Roses? They reformed in 2012, did a couple of years of touring, teased us about releasing some new music then disappeared again.

Probably because in the prevailing years the two crucial persons (Ian Brown and John Squire) were as categorical about never reforming as Morrissey and Marr is now.

Dear friends,
Reunion (The Smiths) will NEVER happen.
Never ever - it's not to going to happen.

Last edited:
Easily the nicest man in Manchester.
I think the next Manchester show should be somewhere obscure, like St Peters.
Keep it fresh JFM
#Legend

If the reunion were motivated by a cause, something animal rights related, for a series of huge shows, with massive donations and proceed cuts going to animal rights, I could imagine it. Maybe not with OG drums and bass, but even them, possibly. This would offset the cash grab aspect and bring the beloved plight of the animals to the mainstream, big time. But they better hurry...

Exactly. I appreciate Morrissey's coherence and real fans appreciate it as well.

But how do you know that Moz never wanted a reunion. I've seen a lot of people saying they admire Morrissey's coherence, but i think he might have wanted a reunion at some point, but because other people, it didn't happen

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, lets not forget there were long periods during Morrissey's early solo career when he was publically open to the idea of a reunion with Johnny. If you believe 'Autobiography' (and it's hard to know exactly how truthful Morrissey is being at any given moment), then the court case seems to have driven a very final nail into the coffin of the Smiths.

But never mind all this talk of 'reunions', I think all Johnny is talking about here is that it's a shame they don't even have a relationship anymore outside the band. Forget cash-in greatest hits tours, or the pipe-dream of Morrissey and Marr working on new material together - at this stage things are so dysfunctional they can't even work together in the way most defunct 'heritage' bands can, with Morrissey blocking the release of any unreleased archival material. I'd be happy for the two of them to finally bury the hatchet, focus on all the amazing things they achieved, and just have one photo of the pair of together them smiling with thumbs up at the camera. That would be enough for me.

But, alas, what it will probably take is Johnny getting run over by a bus before Morrissey suddenly realises it's all too late, changes his mind, and starts gushing praise.

perfect comment :thumb:

I always think it must be hugely weird for Johnny Marr and Morrissey being asked this question 90x a day. I know being in a hugely successful band who literally changed the lives of millions of fans (certainly Morrissey/The Smiths have changed my life) must be an incomparable experience but imagine if every single day someone asked you if you were going to go back to the job you had 30+ years ago? It's ridiculous when you think of it any other context.

Tell me one thing they actually know about each others lives after 1987. Probably not much. Even Gustavo knows Moz longer by now. From Morrissey's point of view: Where was Johnny when Moz struggled with the break-up and the demands of EMI? Where was he while others picked up the pieces? Where was Johnny during that Finsbury Park disaster? Where was Johnny in bad private moments when Moz struggled with relationships, some horrible deaths, public expectations, failures, illnesses? To look upon the recent past, who was there when Moz shocked us with his collapse in 2009? Who helped him and backed him up? Who went with him through cancellation after cancellation and mishap after mishap but stood by him regardless? It wasn't Johnny or any of the other Smiths, it was his current band, his family, actual friends. This also works the opposite way, of course. Try and tell me something deep and personal about a person you were friends with over 30 years ago and who you just met sporadically since. It would be very hard. Why should Moz give up his secure, calm and patient environment which he needs to be able to keep going for something as unstable and unsteay as a Smiths reunion? It makes no sense to me at all.

I always think it must be hugely weird for Johnny Marr and Morrissey being asked this question 90x a day. I know being in a hugely successful band who literally changed the lives of millions of fans (certainly Morrissey/The Smiths have changed my life) must be an incomparable experience but imagine if every single day someone asked you if you were going to go back to the job you had 30+ years ago? It's ridiculous when you think of it any other context.

On some level it might feel a little sad to be on stage doing it.

If the reunion were motivated by a cause, something animal rights related, for a series of huge shows, with massive donations and proceed cuts going to animal rights, I could imagine it. Maybe not with OG drums and bass, but even them, possibly. This would offset the cash grab aspect and bring the beloved plight of the animals to the mainstream, big time. But they better hurry...

This.
If someone could get it in their heads that if they (Morrissey and Marr) do one show, it could have an unbelievably huge benefit for an animal rights organization. And while in my mind, it'd be the most likely bet to get it to happen - I think the closest we would ever get is a joint donation from each.

Tell me one thing they actually know about each others lives after 1987. Probably not much. Even Gustavo knows Moz longer by now. From Morrissey's point of view: Where was Johnny when Moz struggled with the break-up and the demands of EMI? Where was he while others picked up the pieces? Where was Johnny during that Finsbury Park disaster? Where was Johnny in bad private moments when Moz struggled with relationships, some horrible deaths, public expectations, failures, illnesses? To look upon the recent past, who was there when Moz shocked us with his collapse in 2009? Who helped him and backed him up? Who went with him through cancellation after cancellation and mishap after mishap but stood by him regardless? It wasn't Johnny or any of the other Smiths, it was his current band, his family, actual friends. This also works the opposite way, of course. Try and tell me something deep and personal about a person you were friends with over 30 years ago and who you just met sporadically since. It would be very hard. Why should Moz give up his secure, calm and patient environment which he needs to be able to keep going for something as unstable and unsteay as a Smiths reunion? It makes no sense to me at all.

you make it sound all so......gay.
where was johnny when moz was unbeknownst to himself, feeding on kerrygold cheese? probably tending to his affairs.
how is it possible that the whole world is not at moz beck and call? LOL

But how do you know that Moz never wanted a reunion. I've seen a lot of people saying they admire Morrissey's coherence, but i think he might have wanted a reunion at some point, but because other people, it didn't happen

- - - Updated - - -
Maybe he wanted a reunion at some point, but then it became clear that it was impossible. I can't even imagine a The Smiths reunion, it would be too weird. I like Morrissey's coherence because he went on with his own solo career instead of trying to reform the band that made him popular and of forcing things. If i have to be honest The Smiths ended because of Marr, so hearing from him statements like "it's a pity the ex-members aren't on better terms" is ridicolous...I read/saw interviews in which he shows rudeness towards Moz. I don't like it, so it's better for everyone to get over The Smiths reunion.

Imagine paying money to watch Johnny Marr play live.

Imagine.

Tags
johnny marr morrissey reform relationship the smiths

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom