Matt Walker on Too Much Effing Perspective Podcast - Morrissey mentions (August 24, 2021)

240463901_104847448590320_9145538050643009261_n.jpg

Or listen here:

Description:

"Ex-Morrissey bandmate Matt Walker on why some drummers spontaneously combust…and some don’t

Matt Walker shares the inside scoop on what it’s like to work with two of the most brilliant and challenging guys in rock music (Morrissey and Smashing Pumpkins’ Billy Corgan); how he was forced to lie to a Russian border guard when touring with Garbage; and why destroying a drum kit each night is better than taking Xanax.
Please note: Matt’s audio quality during the conversation is a bit rough — a hazard of recording over the Internet during the pandemic. But it’s a great conversation that’s worth a close listen. Thanks for understanding."

Plenty of Morrissey content throughout, main part starts at ~ 14:23

Excerpt:
"They both [Morrissey and Billy Corgan] are challenging in different ways, but I wouldn't want it any other way. I think that's what makes them both so exceptional and they're both, without a doubt, fearless. They're just fearless about persuing their vision and their art in the face of criticism and the public eye and being that close to both of them, I can tell you that is a big deal. That takes guts.
And they've both been doing it their entire career, without fail. What's interesting is that they're both still making interesting, relevant music. They're not just playing their hits and going out and doing album tours and I have a lot of respect for that."

Matt talks about what working with Morrissey in the studio is like, destroying drum sets and Icelandic gongs, the chaos of stage invasions, leaving and rejoining the Morrissey band in 2012/13 etc.

(Interestingly, at no point in the interview does he mention not being part of Morrissey's band anymore (unless I missed it...?), although the description of the podcast refers to him as 'ex-Morrissey bandmate'. His Instagram bio also still says "Drummer for Morrissey".)

Or listen here:

Description:

"Ex-Morrissey bandmate Matt Walker on why some drummers spontaneously combust…and some don’t

Matt Walker shares the inside scoop on what it’s like to work with two of the most brilliant and challenging guys in rock music (Morrissey and Smashing Pumpkins’ Billy Corgan); how he was forced to lie to a Russian border guard when touring with Garbage; and why destroying a drum kit each night is better than taking Xanax.
Please note: Matt’s audio quality during the conversation is a bit rough — a hazard of recording over the Internet during the pandemic. But it’s a great conversation that’s worth a close listen. Thanks for understanding."

Excerpt:
"They both [Morrissey and Billy Corgan] are challenging in different ways, but I wouldn't want it any other way. I think that's what makes them both so exceptional and they're both, without a doubt, fearless. They're just fearless about persuing their vision and their art in the face of criticism and the public eye and being that close to both of them, I can tell you that is a big deal. That takes guts.
And they've both been doing it their entire career, without fail. What's interesting is that they're both still making interesting, relevant music. They're not just playing their hits and going out and doing album tours and I have a lot of respect for that."

Matt talks about what working with Morrissey in the studio is like, destroying drum sets and Icelandic gongs, the chaos of stage invasions, leaving and rejoining the Morrissey band in 2012/13 etc.

(Interestingly, at no point in the interview does he mention not being part of Morrissey's band anymore (unless I missed it...?), although the description of the podcast refers to him as 'ex-Morrissey bandmate'. His Instagram bio also still says "Drummer for Morrissey".)

Maybe they jumped to conclusions because he has another drummer for the upcoming shows.

Or listen here:

Description:

Excerpt:

Thanks for this, :thumb: will give it a listen !

Haven’t see you around much, hope all is well, or maybe just a sanity break from solo?

Thanks for this, :thumb: will give it a listen !

Haven’t see you around much, hope all is well, or maybe just a sanity break from solo?

👍🏻

I'm still around though... 👀
Thanks for asking :kissingheart:

Typical Morrissey move. New drummer for Vegas means "Matt, you just left Morrissey".

To me that's normal! Every theatre show has changes of cast & crew. You're as close as family for weeks or months or years & then it's on to the new one.

Billy corgan…?

Typical Morrissey move. New drummer for Vegas means "Matt, you just left Morrissey".
Had the Riot Fest date preceded the Vegas shows his status in the band would have been very clear. Matt lives in the suburbs north of Chicago.

Presumably, this also means that a freshly-rehearsed Alain will be appearing in Chicago.

Had the Riot Fest date preceded the Vegas shows his status in the band would have been very clear. Matt lives in the suburbs north of Chicago.

Presumably, this also means that a freshly-rehearsed Alain will be appearing in Chicago.

Jamie, what's your take on Mando's status?

I'm happy Saul is back on bass (temporarily, most likely).

:unsure:

‘freshly’ ? o_O Alain’s been rehearsing forever, just waiting for Morrissey to let him back into the fold.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom