'Meat is Murder' PETA computer game + Morrissey comment

Authorised (I guess, by Moz at least), Smiths computer game, complete with 8-bit style soundtrack, from PETA. Their blurb, from Twitter/Facebook:

"This game is the biggest social crusade of all as we safeguard the weak & helpless from violent human aggression. You don't get that from Pokémon GO," #Morrissey
Save animals from slaughter in ‎PETA's new game featuring #TheSmith's "Meat is Murder."

http://features.peta.org/meat-is-murder-game/

38927_peta_mim_game.jpg

Play the Smiths and PETA’s “Meat Is Murder” Video Game - Pitchfork
Morrissey: “This game is the biggest social crusade of all, as we safeguard the weak and helpless from violent human aggression. You don’t get that from ‘Pokémon Go.’”

Link posted by Roberto Ferdenzi / Facebook:

This Beautiful Creature Must Die: what is Morrissey's animal rights game like? - The Guardian
By Tim Jonze
Peta has launched a game approved by the Smiths frontman, complete with a bleepy rendition of Meat Is Murder – but is it any good?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. You and Brummie have both put a lot out there to take in and assimilate. All of what you put forth may be true, but for me Morrissey lives below or above all of this.

He is not perfect, but he is not Hitler, Manson, or Mussolini either. He is imperfect. With flaws, many flaws perhaps, but that is what drew me to him in the first place.

Why expect him to be Jesus? That is a lot to live up to. Johnny Cash wrote the song I Walk the Line while cheating on his wife. Morrissey may have eaten cheese, but his heart is in the right place even if his actions don't mirror the lofty goals of what he puts forth in his music.

No free pass... I get that, but let the first man with no sin cast the first stone...right? Fame on the back of exploitation of animal cruelty? I don't think so. Misguided maybe, but this whole conspiracy theory BS has pushed the boundaries of common sense. Which I'm against.

This dissection of him like a frog in biology class tends to turn my stomach a bit, but it is the easiest of endeavors to point out the faults in a person. They are after all right there on the surface. But to take the time to truly study a person's intentions, even if incomplete or seemingly incongruous, requires an ability to apply a certain measure of empathy that might be too exhausting for some.

I will continue to read what the intelligentsia write here, but always taken with a grain of salt.

Morrissey has paraded the world's stage for over 3 decades sanctimoniously lecturing all and sundry, denouncing them as guilty of Murder for eating Meat whilst eating Cheese. He thought he could get away with his delusional Virtue Signalling, appropriating radical Animal Liberation culture whilst being just as complicit in animal murder by stuffing his face with Cheese. He is an idiot. An intellectual dunce. From the very start he was aware of Jame's radical Vegan agenda though they also soon abandoned it. He knew all along that Cheese Bleeds and that Milk Is Murder but he just loved cream cakes and cheezy Wotsits too much. Others who care about animals and have an animal welfare rather than liberation agenda do so without preaching piously that 'Meat Is Murder' whilst condoning and endorsing Rape Culture Cheese on their backstage rider. Morrissey only became Vegan when he realised I was planning a public protest at one of his Birmingham gigs and he f***ing knew I meant business.....Word up.

Oh dear, you are an even bigger berk than any of us realised if you think the Smiths would have got anywhere near the level of the Beatles' fame/success. Put simply, most people hate (or at least strongly dislike) the sound of Morrissey's singing voice - it doesn't matter how good the music is. The Smiths would never have got bigger than a quite successful indie pop group despite being massively influential and hugely critically acclaimed. As for Marr being a musical visionary, it's true he came up with a few good pop songs in the Smiths but his post Electronic stuff has been mediocre, and his more recent solo album was absolutely f***ing awful whereas World Peace was actually pretty good musically, if not lyrically. Marr needs Morrissey now more than ever - that's probably why it was Marr who most recently tried to get the Smiths back together.
Alan Whyte a gifted collaborator? He was fitfully pretty good but he provided Morrissey with more joyless chug-rock that any of his other songwriters. Pick the dreariest plodding songs that Morrissey co-wrote between 95 and 09, and the chances are the music was written by Whyte.

Johnny Marr and Morrissey are often compared to The Beatles in terms of influence if not popularity. You are entitled to your opinion but destroy your comment by debasing it with an opening insult, suggesting you don't have quite the confidence in your line of reasoning that you then go on to assert. Bob Marley had a mediocre singing voice and only a very basic set of stylistic song motifs yet he eclipsed The Beatles. There is nowhere in the world where you can go but not hear Bob Marley. He is bigger than The Beatles thus your argument falls down. Who knows what music would have been produced if Morrissey and Marr had gone the U2 route of 25/25/25/25 split of all profits with 'the lawnmower parts'? Marr suffered PTSD after his car crash and from betraying his childhood friends in business to appease Morrissey's greed (or his own greed). The court case was their joint comeuppance but Marr had the sense to back out. I wait to see if Marr's Autobiography includes a suitable mea culpa atonement on all this, to read if he realises what they might have thrown away. And what they might still regain if they have a 'moment of clarity', apologise publicly to Joyce and Rourke and begin writing and recording as The Smiths again....

Roll over, Beatles - Smiths top the pops

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2002/apr/17/buyingmusic.shopping

I don't see it as pointing out his faults. It is about trying to understand his statements. Morrissey is hardly the most empathetic person, and I'm only talking about his persona and his music.
There are two ways to look at it. Either he just says things randomly or he says things with intention. Do you think he randomly used the word "subspecies?"That would make him unaware of the power of language, and he has written a lot of songs that defy that reading.
So then he must have said it intentionally. The question then is what did he mean?
It's nothing personal. The reason people don't sit around and dissect the words of the singer of Blur is because he didn't say 1 Thatcher should die. 2 Bush should die. 3 Men who torture animals for science should have letterbombs sent to their homes. 4. Will Madonna make her African child into a coat? 5 Mass murder of children? Nothing compared to McDonalds. And on and on and on. When you make statements like that people have a right to try to understand your message and your motives. The alternative is to ignore it like you do when the smelly guy on the train wants to show you proof that Obama is a lizard.
Either Morrissey just says random things or he says things with a purpose.
Nothing written here matters anyway. It's not going to hurt Morrissey's feelings or cost him any money, which really WOULD hurt his feelings. :D

I think you'd have to talk to Brummie about the animal rights exploitation thing. I tend to feel Morrissey is exploited by PETA. Brummie seems to think the animal rights thing was/is part of Morrissey's gimmick.
But I think it's clear that he reacted differently to the Paris attacks than he did to the 2011 Norway attacks. Children killed in Norway (never mind the killer's motives) is not as bad as KFC but when other killer's (never mind their motives) massacre people in Paris, not only is it a tragedy, but there's a "guaranteed number one" record.
Now if I wanted to go full tinfoil hat I'd talk about the motives of the attacks, but even I don't have the secondhand depravity to do that.
Here's your salt but it's not good for you.
industrial-road-salt.jpg

All valid points. I tipped back a few too many last night so some of what I wrote may have originated from my arse :D

I guess I'm just not as interested in getting to the center of the Moz tootsie pop as some. ;) I take high blood pressure medicine so all that salt makes me :eek:

Morrissey has paraded the world's stage for over 3 decades sanctimoniously lecturing all and sundry, denouncing them as guilty of Murder for eating Meat whilst eating Cheese. He thought he could get away with his delusional Virtue Signalling, appropriating radical Animal Liberation culture whilst being just as complicit in animal murder by stuffing his face with Cheese. He is an idiot. An intellectual dunce. From the very start he was aware of Jame's radical Vegan agenda though they also soon abandoned it. He knew all along that Cheese Bleeds and that Milk Is Murder but he just loved cream cakes and cheezy Wotsits too much. Others who care about animals and have an animal welfare rather than liberation agenda do so without preaching piously that 'Meat Is Murder' whilst condoning and endorsing Rape Culture Cheese on their backstage rider. Morrissey only became Vegan when he realised I was planning a public protest at one of his Birmingham gigs and he f***ing knew I meant business.....Word up.

I gotta say BB I love your ability to turn or coin a phrase "virtual signaling" and am consistently impressed with your command of the English language.

But sometimes reading posts like the one above reminds me of scenes in movies where a guy is beating the s**t out of another guy and continues to punch him in the face long after he is capable of defending himself. It makes me want to run up, grab your arms and say "that's enough Brummie, you won."

That said I have no doubt you will continue on your crusade. I get the fact that this is fun for you, but it would be fun for me and others to read posts from you that don't include the words cheese, milk, murder, meat, etc. Why use only one crayon in your box of 64 colors?

I don't see it as pointing out his faults. It is about trying to understand his statements. Morrissey is hardly the most empathetic person, and I'm only talking about his persona and his music.
There are two ways to look at it. Either he just says things randomly or he says things with intention. Do you think he randomly used the word "subspecies?"That would make him unaware of the power of language, and he has written a lot of songs that defy that reading.
So then he must have said it intentionally. The question then is what did he mean?
It's nothing personal. The reason people don't sit around and dissect the words of the singer of Blur is because he didn't say 1 Thatcher should die. 2 Bush should die. 3 Men who torture animals for science should have letterbombs sent to their homes. 4. Will Madonna make her African child into a coat? 5 Mass murder of children? Nothing compared to McDonalds. And on and on and on. When you make statements like that people have a right to try to understand your message and your motives. The alternative is to ignore it like you do when the smelly guy on the train wants to show you proof that Obama is a lizard.
Either Morrissey just says random things or he says things with a purpose.
Nothing written here matters anyway. It's not going to hurt Morrissey's feelings or cost him any money, which really WOULD hurt his feelings. :D

I think you'd have to talk to Brummie about the animal rights exploitation thing. I tend to feel Morrissey is exploited by PETA. Brummie seems to think the animal rights thing was/is part of Morrissey's gimmick.
But I think it's clear that he reacted differently to the Paris attacks than he did to the 2011 Norway attacks. Children killed in Norway (never mind the killer's motives) is not as bad as KFC but when other killer's (never mind their motives) massacre people in Paris, not only is it a tragedy, but there's a "guaranteed number one" record.
Now if I wanted to go full tinfoil hat I'd talk about the motives of the attacks, but even I don't have the secondhand depravity to do that.
Here's your salt but it's not good for you.
industrial-road-salt.jpg
And who is to ever say, things cannot be questioned. Very rational, and we get to decide based on this questioning.

All valid points. I tipped back a few too many last night so some of what I wrote may have originated from my arse :D

I guess I'm just not as interested in getting to the center of the Moz tootsie pop as some. ;) I take high blood pressure medicine so all that salt makes me :eek:
You should do more drunk-posting. I was feeling it. :rock:
They tried to make me take that medication, too, but I changed my diet and tried to cut out salt and so far living in denial is working. Good health to you.

edited to add: To anyone who feels that Morrissey is overly criticized here, remember that indifference is worse than criticism. Morrissey will always have the louder voice, his message will always be available to everyone who wants to hear it, and he will have the final word.

"I'm doing very well
I can block out the present and the past now
I know by now you think I should have
Straightened myself out - Thank you, drop dead!"

Last edited:
has anybody else posted anything about this PETA/Smiths video game yet? It's on the PETA site and you have to save animals from the slaughterhouse. Just bizarre!

Smiths frontman Morrissey says, "“This game is the biggest social crusade of all, as we safeguard the weak and helpless from violent human aggression. You don’t get that from ‘Pokémon Go.’”

http://features.peta.org/meat-is-murder-game/

http://www.stereogum.com/1893251/the-smiths-peta-launch-meat-is-murder-videogame/news/

https://www.punknews.org/article/61539/the-smiths-and-peta-release-anti-slaughterhouse-game

Tags
meat is murder game

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom