Men At Work face multi-million dollar bill after judge rules Australian band copied

The Seeker of Good Songs

Men At Work face multi-million dollar bill after judge rules Australian band copied 'Down Under' melody

Men At Work face a multi-million pound bill after a judge ruled that a section of their hit song "Down Under" was copied from the popular 1934 Girl Guides' folk song, "Kookaburra Sits In The Old Gum Tree" penned by teacher Marion Sinclair. Men At Work songwriters Colin Hay and Ron Strykert, along with EMI music, face a massive bill for unpaid royalties and losses suffered by publishing firm Larrikin Music. Larrikin Music claimed in court that it had won a tender for the copyright for "Kookaburra" from the South Australian Public Trustee in 1990, after Miss Sinclair died.
The judge said it was clear that band member Greg Ham had deliberately plagiarised the tune "for the purpose and with the intention of evoking an Australian flavour in the flute riff". The two sides will meet again on February 25 to discuss the findings and begin talks about costs.

Hear the 'similarities' (rather 'differences' if you ask us...) below.

from: http://www.side-line.com/news_comments.php?id=44164_0_2_0_C

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Men At Work face multi-million dollar bill after judge rules Australian band copi

What a load of bull.

Re: Men At Work face multi-million dollar bill after judge rules Australian band copi

this judgement is wrong :mad:

Agreed. It's three to six notes!!! And it was twenty years ago. If it was so obvious and egregious a theft, how come no one noticed it until now??

Is there no statute of limitations in Australia copyright law?

This is stupid.

This makes me angry. If people have to be careful not to combine a few notes that are combined in ANY other song, then there's no point in writing songs at all. It's DANGEROUS to do so!

Ugh. What a world.

Also, I used to sing that kookaburra song to my daughter when she was a baby and it never once hit me that it sounded it all like Down Under.

How have Oasis got away with copying The New Seekers, T-Rex and, of course, The Beatles?:confused:
And that's blatently copying them:D

Jukebox Jury

Frivolous lawsuit.

As far as what is fair, maybe Men At Work could release their single again with this 'original source' as the b-side and give all the money to the Girl Guides, if it still exists.

The Girl Guides are what some countries call the Girl Scouts. :) It's the same organization.

Back
Top Bottom