Mike Joyce in new Lexus ad in the UK

jezn71

From 1.10... Cool as...the boy's still got it...

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
It's great watching a fantastic drummer in his element - just the drums and the player.

That is cool actually.

Better now than when he was in The Smiths, no? Seems to have more finesse.
I'm happy to be schooled from the musicians here, but Joyce always seemed the least extraordinary talent among the four. They could've worked with plenty of other drummers but would've certainly been poorer without Rourke's basslines (and nowhere at all without Marr of course).

Better now than when he was in The Smiths, no? Seems to have more finesse.
I'm happy to be schooled from the musicians here, but Joyce always seemed the least extraordinary talent among the four. They could've worked with plenty of other drummers but would've certainly been poorer without Rourke's basslines (and nowhere at all without Marr of course).
I disagree, and I think that Marr and Rourke would as well. Mike added something to the mix that was really important... he was a punk drummer! Listen to the hard drums on some of the tate demos, IE:

Mike was not a weak link or 5th wheel. He added that hard edge that was the perfect compliment to Johnny's guitars and Andy's lines. With a perfectionist like Johnny, if Mike hadn't been what he wanted, he would have gotten someone else, period.

All fair points. And yes, the drums sound good and hard in the Tate sessions. But could many a decent "punk drummer" have done it just as well?
Aren't the other three members' contributions more unique/idosyncratic, or is that just a drummer's lot in life?
Not trying to denigrate Joyce's contribution (musically, anyway).

I disagree, and I think that Marr and Rourke would as well. Mike added something to the mix that was really important... he was a punk drummer! Listen to the hard drums on some of the tate demos, IE:

Mike was not a weak link or 5th wheel. He added that hard edge that was the perfect compliment to Johnny's guitars and Andy's lines. With a perfectionist like Johnny, if Mike hadn't been what he wanted, he would have gotten someone else, period.

Sorry if this has appeared before but I happened to notice a rather smart Mike Joyce drumming in the advert for the new Lexus Hybrid car in the UK. Appears twice on stage in what looks like the Apollo in Manchester.

Ciao for now
Jez

Welcome to the forums Jez and thanks for the links.

I love Mike (and Andy), they were both integral parts of The Smiths. It's easy to forget now with the passing of time.
Couldn't help but notice that you are based in York, and there I was thinking that I was the only Smiths fan in the whole of York... :p

Cheers,

I.R.

Isn't Alan Partridge's favoured make of car the Lexus? How rock n roll. Good to see someone staying true to their punk rock roots.

All fair points. And yes, the drums sound good and hard in the Tate sessions. But could many a decent "punk drummer" have done it just as well?
Aren't the other three members' contributions more unique/idosyncratic, or is that just a drummer's lot in life?
Not trying to denigrate Joyce's contribution (musically, anyway).

I would say - emphatically - NO. Joyce has a great groove, and many "punk" drummers, as good as they are at keeping a beat simply can't find that groove.

Does Morrissey get 25% since he's playing a Smiths' song?

(hey, I waited to post this...)

I would say - emphatically - NO. Joyce has a great groove, and many "punk" drummers, as good as they are at keeping a beat simply can't find that groove.

Definitely!

I mean, this is kind of like saying... hey, Ringo/Charlie Watts/(insert famous drummer here) is just a drummer... couldn't any other reasonably good drummer have done as well? I guess if they could have, then they would be in the position Mike is in! He's a GREAT drummer and musician, period. The arrangements that all the Smiths created were just amazing, and he was a big part of it. I'm sure Johnny would agree.

Lexus advert

I saw the new Kylie Minogue ad last night and it features Mike Joyce playing his drums:lbf:

Tags
mike joyce
Back
Top Bottom