Mike Joyce posts photos of Morrissey's handwritten lyrics for "The Headmaster Ritual" on Facebook

Pretty neat stuff, although I imagine it won't make it to true to you.

Mike Joyce's Facebook page photo
Just been in the basement sorting out some boxes and here's a little snippet of what I found. These hand written lyrics by Moz for 'The Headmaster Ritual'

headmaster_lyrics.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the idea of assigning a % to each Smith.

I'd go with:
Morrissey - 40%
Marr - 35%
Rourke - 20%
Joyce - 5%

Sorry Mike.

You've been generous to Joyce. Anyone could've been the Smiths drummer and they would've been just fine.

- - - Updated - - -

I would take Mike Joyce , Andy Rourke, and Craig Gannon any day over the shit he has now. I don't even know their names. Would just have to keep Andy away from the porkey pies, blood sausage, and KFC or whatever Brits eat. Anonymous-

That band played Wolverhampton '88 and it sounds f***ing awful!

What Morrissey seems to fail to realize, is that he was and is part of something larger than himself. Something I've said for years about lead singer syndrome, is that the singer is only as good as the band behind him. They are the ones that help coax out greatness and push the singer toward something incredible.

He never gave up on the band. The main fulcrum left. Hell, Moz tried to keep it going, but once a band loses its main music generator, it is over. In fact, I'd say Moz has two bones to pick with Marr (& why he won't get together with him, even though Johnny seemed open to it a couple years ago)---1)Morrissey loves that he made something out of what he considers a calamity, Johnny Marr leaving the band. He mentions it a million times in the biography..."Why would I need The Smiths when look how well I'm doing?" 2)Moz believes Johny never gave him proper credit or acknowledgement for creating a viable solo career.

He never gave up on the band. The main fulcrum left. Hell, Moz tried to keep it going, but once a band loses its main music generator, it is over. In fact, I'd say Moz has two bones to pick with Marr (& why he won't get together with him, even though Johnny seemed open to it a couple years ago)---1)Morrissey loves that he made something out of what he considers a calamity, Johnny Marr leaving the band. He mentions it a million times in the biography..."Why would I need The Smiths when look how well I'm doing?" 2)Moz believes Johny never gave him proper credit or acknowledgement for creating a viable solo career.

You make an interesting point. It is a question that I have never seen asked of Marr, if it has feel free for someone to send me a link, but I'd love to hear what Marr felt when Morrissey went straight on to make such stellar album as 'Viva Hate' without seemingly missing a beat. Marr always comes across as the nice guy, and I'm sure he is, but you do hear odds and sods from people around the band at the time that Johnny had a pretty big f***en ego as well. maybe not the diva behaviour of Moz but I'm sure he was floored at how well Morrissey did especially straight after the disintegration of the band.

I bet he would never admit it but I'm sure there was a part of him that was pissed, he probably thought Morrissey would sink without him.

You've been generous to Joyce. Anyone could've been the Smiths drummer and they would've been just fine.

I disagree.
Performance-wise it's 25% each (creativity may be another matter).

The four Smiths had a special chemistry. All great bands do.

Did Led Zep sound 'fine' after Bonham died? Listen to the re-union recordings.
Did the REM make a decent record after Bill Berry left?
What about the Who...

You make an interesting point. It is a question that I have never seen asked of Marr, if it has feel free for someone to send me a link, but I'd love to hear what Marr felt when Morrissey went straight on to make such stellar album as 'Viva Hate' without seemingly missing a beat. Marr always comes across as the nice guy, and I'm sure he is, but you do hear odds and sods from people around the band at the time that Johnny had a pretty big f***en ego as well. maybe not the diva behaviour of Moz but I'm sure he was floored at how well Morrissey did especially straight after the disintegration of the band.

I bet he would never admit it but I'm sure there was a part of him that was pissed, he probably thought Morrissey would sink without him.

When we get to Viva Hate we enter a totally new chapter, at this point all credit for the solo career must go to Stephen Street, Vinny Reilly and Andrew Paresi. No lawnmower part has ever got anywhere near what these artists achieved or how their arrangements should sound and be performed. Tobias may as well be swinging a 10 kilo demolition hammer than a guitar when he steps forward during will never marry demolition hammer solo.

Benny-the-British-Butcher

In that case my vote would be that Steven bought a lucky lottery ticket won a huge amount and blew it all trying to be clever proving that he could go it all alone with lawnmower parts and here we find ourselves at crap central with nothing to declare but cheese for brains.

Benny you make me laugh. Here we are at Crap Central Station with no train to Popular Musicville on the schedule. How sad. There always is a kernel of truth in your posts. I am not sure if he ever really cared about the music behind his lyrics. As a narcissist, I can only imagine that he was more concerned with how his lyrics laid on top of the music than anything else. JM created some of the most beautiful pop music ever written, and now (as you put it) with lawnmower parts we are left with hardly a melody in sight. BTW will there be advanced copies of KerryGold available for purchase?

I disagree.

What about the Who...

To me personally the voice is always the key.
Yes the rest of the band matter but I could listen Morrissey sing anything.
Roger Daltrey is the exception to the rule, he was the weak link.

Benny you make me laugh. Here we are at Crap Central Station with no train to Popular Musicville on the schedule. How sad. There always is a kernel of truth in your posts. I am not sure if he ever really cared about the music behind his lyrics. As a narcissist, I can only imagine that he was more concerned with how his lyrics laid on top of the music than anything else. JM created some of the most beautiful pop music ever written, and now (as you put it) with lawnmower parts we are left with hardly a melody in sight. BTW will there be advanced copies of KerryGold available for purchase?

I just bought a copy of Kerry gold. The single "Rider caused me a shit storm" it just brilliant

There is going to be a very important statement released 15/8/15 concerning Kerrygold. I'm not sure yet if it's coming from Steven himself or c***ryfile records, so watch this space.
I heard the finished mixes this week and I have a good few copies on white label (signed) which I shall make available to the right people and for competition prizes.
Watch this space.

I just bought a copy of Kerry gold. The single "Rider caused me a shit storm" it just brilliant

Are you sure ? I just checked a previous statement release about Kerrygold see below.
Also I don't recall that song being on the confirmed track listing.

P Groper

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
I wonder if we get a track from Kerrygold ( it's out late August ).
BBC c***ryfile records update.

As far as we are aware the only track that is boot camp ready from the forthcoming Morrissey album Kerrygold is I beg your pardon.
This week there is a much anticipated board meeting headed by chief executive Stephan Barney in which Kerrygold will get its first airing in its finished state and artwork to be finalised for release 7th September 2015.
We would also like to get the fans on board and have more interaction so look out for the new official website and all usual multimedia under the banner of #morrisseygold.
We thank everyone involved in this project for their patience and understanding and going forward we feel in the future all is well.

Just read this thought you might like !

0 Not allowed!

You make an interesting point. It is a question that I have never seen asked of Marr, if it has feel free for someone to send me a link, but I'd love to hear what Marr felt when Morrissey went straight on to make such stellar album as 'Viva Hate' without seemingly missing a beat.

Johnny in 1991 speaking to the NME: "I though 'Viva Hate' was very good. I listened to it once in it's entirety and haven't heard it since. No, I haven't heard this new one ('Kill Uncle') at all. I only ever hear his records on the radio, so it's possible I've even missed a couple of his singles altogether."

I can't give you a source, but I remember reading an interview near the time, where he said he had no doubt when he left the Smiths, that Morrissey would be fine. I'm sure he wouldn't have been spiteful enough to wish he died a complete death without him.

Are you sure ? I just checked a previous statement release about Kerrygold see below.
Also I don't recall that song being on the confirmed track listing.

P Groper

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
I wonder if we get a track from Kerrygold ( it's out late August ).
BBC c***ryfile records update.

As far as we are aware the only track that is boot camp ready from the forthcoming Morrissey album Kerrygold is I beg your pardon.
This week there is a much anticipated board meeting headed by chief executive Stephan Barney in which Kerrygold will get its first airing in its finished state and artwork to be finalised for release 7th September 2015.
We would also like to get the fans on board and have more interaction so look out for the new official website and all usual multimedia under the banner of #morrisseygold.
We thank everyone involved in this project for their patience and understanding and going forward we feel in the future all is well.

Just read this thought you might like !

Benny-the-British-Butcher ������

0 Not allowed!
It´s a fake album, details do not matter.

Incredibly valid points. It's always seemed to me that the past is a raw point for Morrissey. He says that it's over, a closed book etc, but it seems to preoccupy him in whatever way. Nostalgia is already dangerous, but venomous nostalgia is plain ugly. There comes a time to let go before grudges consume a person.
He did make something out of a calamity at the time, but to see him now, coasting on songs like Kiss me a lot is just brutal.

I remember reading an interview near the time, where Johnny said he had no doubt when he left the Smiths, that Morrissey would be fine. I'm sure he wouldn't have been spiteful enough to wish he died a complete death without him.

He had no doubt? By all accounts there were great doubts if Moz would be fine. Everyone, even people not really that close to him, said they were worried and that Moz was extremely sad with the situation.

He had no doubt? By all accounts there were great doubts if Moz would be fine. Everyone, even people not really that close to him, said they were worried and that Moz was extremely sad with the situation.

Yes, that was the gist of the interview I remember - though bear in mind I am going by memory here, so I can't give you any direct quotes, and I may even be misremembering details. But the basic gist I remember was Johnny saying that whilst the world outside at the time might have had an image of Morrissey being a fairly fragile character, he knew he was a lot stronger and more determined than that, and that he never had any doubts that Morrissey would come out of the other side of the Smiths split OK. And having been in such a close working relationship with him for 5 years, I'm sure he was in a better position than anyone else to know that Morrissey had both the drive and talent to be fine carrying on alone.

But the basic gist I remember was Johnny saying that whilst the world outside at the time might have had an image of Morrissey being a fairly fragile character, he knew he was a lot stronger and more determined than that

I don't meant the "world outside". I said "EVERYONE, even people not really that close to him" which obviously includes people who knew Moz far longer than Johnny. When Moz had anything after the demise of the Smiths then it was luck. He was lucky to have people like Linder Sterling, James Maker and Kirsty MacColl around him. He was lucky that Stephen Street provided music so quickly. He was lucky that the buying public didn't turn their backs on him. You make it sound like it was a walk in the park. None of these things were predictable, not even by Johnny. If he said so, then it was an ludicrous statement to make.

Incredibly valid points. It's always seemed to me that the past is a raw point for Morrissey. He says that it's over, a closed book etc, but it seems to preoccupy him in whatever way. Nostalgia is already dangerous, but venomous nostalgia is plain ugly. There comes a time to let go before grudges consume a person.
He did make something out of a calamity at the time, but to see him now, coasting on songs like Kiss me a lot is just brutal.

i agree 100% with this comment

All of the above ^

I disagree.

What about the Who...

Well yeah mathematically you are correct about the smiths as far as there were four of them.

You're comparing Bonham's place in Zeppelin to Joyce's place in the Smiths?

I would agree Morrissey and Marr had a special chemistry. Less so with the other two.

Johnny in 1991 speaking to the NME: "I though 'Viva Hate' was very good. I listened to it once in it's entirety and haven't heard it since. No, I haven't heard this new one ('Kill Uncle') at all. I only ever hear his records on the radio, so it's possible I've even missed a couple of his singles altogether."

I can't give you a source, but I remember reading an interview near the time, where he said he had no doubt when he left the Smiths, that Morrissey would be fine. I'm sure he wouldn't have been spiteful enough to wish he died a complete death without him.

That's nice to hear

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom