Mike Joyce teams up with Salford Lad's Club for new Morrissey T-shirt

Morrissey photography by Mike Joyce on new limited T-Shirt, funds going to Salford Lad's Club. Modelled by actors Christopher Eccleston, Maxine Peake, John Thompson and DJ Mac Radcliffe. (see photos posted on the Salford Lads Club shop page or posted by Famous when dead in the comments below.)

Our new fundraising t-shirt features an original photo of Morrissey taken by Mike Joyce taken whilst on a Smiths US tour in 1986. Mike has generously allowed us to use the photo to raise funds for the club.
Thanks also to our Manc icons models, Chris Eccelston, Maxine Peake, John Thompson and Mark Radcliffe and Mike Joyce for joining in the fun and supporting the club.
The t-shirt is in a classic 80’s yellow, we’ve printed a limited run of 1000 shirts which are available excl...usively on our Salford Lads Club shop page, from Midnight on Thursday.
From Saturday they will also be available to purchase at Salford Lads Club, and from next Monday Aflecks in Manchester are also supporting us, the shirt will be available all next week from a Salford Lads Club popup shop at their famous indie store on Oldham Street.
The shirts are priced at £20 + p&p and are available from here:

https://salfordladsclub.org.uk

Please share and spread the word for this great cause.

https://www.facebook.com/mikejoyceofficial
https://salfordladsclub.org.uk/shop/#!/Morrissey-Boulevard/p/73640561/category=127384094
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...e-news/what-secret-mike-joyce-hiding-12056013

39239_morrissey_street_joyce.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
In this country, I don't think you need permission. Joyce took the photo, he owns it. Same way as Stephen Wright doesn't need permission from anyone if he wants to sell T-shirts and prints of his old 'Queen is Dead' photos.

That said, given that the Salford Lads Club have only recently worked with Morrissey on fundraising, and they presumably don't want to piss him off, you might expect that they would run the idea past him, just as a courtesy.

That interesting. So if a person took a picture of say Kanye in public they could put it on there cereal box and sell it. Surprised people don't do it more often

That interesting. So if a person took a picture of say Kanye in public they could put it on there cereal box and sell it. Surprised people don't do it more often

Cereal box would be different, as it would be implying that Kanye was approving and advertising the cereal in question. If you took a photo of Kanye walking down the street, and wanted to sell T-shirts, mugs, posters etc with that image though - you own the image, so it's fine. Nobody owns the exclusive right to market their own appearance - in this country at least. If someone takes a photo of Morrissey, or you in public, they could print T-shirts and sell them with that image on.

The only case I'm aware of in the UK, where a celeb managed to stop this was Rihanna a couple of years ago - and crucially it *wasn't* because she has a right to her own image but because it was very close to an image being used on an official CD, so they got them on 'passing off' something unofficial as official. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23514738

Cereal box would be different, as it would be implying that Kanye was approving and advertising the cereal in question. If you took a photo of Kanye walking down the street, and wanted to sell T-shirts, mugs, posters etc with that image though - you own the image, so it's fine. Nobody owns the exclusive right to market their own appearance - in this country at least. If someone takes a photo of Morrissey, or you in public, they could print T-shirts and sell them with that image on.

The only case I'm aware of in the UK, where a celeb managed to stop this was Rihanna a couple of years ago - and crucially it *wasn't* because she has a right to her own image but because it was very close to an image being used on an official CD, so they got them on 'passing off' something unofficial as official. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23514738

Gotcha. It would be different if a tee shirt had a brand logo though I'm assuming. Starting to wonder why more street photographers don't sell there own merch

:mock: :laughing: First of the bots to whine ! Oh my :rolleyes: !

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Remember, remember, it'll soon be November so order your copy of Set the Boy free by Johnny Marr :tiphat:.
You are, as always, an idiot. With far too much time on your hands to obsess over an artist you don't like. So who should be laughing at who exactly?

You are, as always, an idiot. With far too much time on your hands to obsess over an artist you don't like. So who should be laughing at who exactly?

Water off a ducks back ! Best thing you and the other bots can do is put me on ignore, if you can't put me on ignore just ignore me ! Do not respond !
What more can I do ?

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife::jackolantern:

Don't know KS but he had his pop up there not long ago and as this is to raise funds for the club, it would have been nice if he would be involved in some way.

Joyce could have asked him and at the same time asking politely permission to use the photo. I know about his copyrights but still.
Maybe it happened, who knows.

Would Moz refuse if it were for the good cause of the Salford Lads Club? If he does it would be only for his resentment against the involvement of Joyce.

Can you be pushed to do things you don't want all in favor of the good cause? Is that always justified and why do you have to defend yourself if you refuse?

He doesn't need to and he doesn't care anymore about that.
I would recommended SER to do some photo shopping on the last picture of him. That V sign with his fingers should be easy to manipulate and his index finger could be removed. o_O

In this country, I don't think you need permission. Joyce took the photo, he owns it. Same way as Stephen Wright doesn't need permission from anyone if he wants to sell T-shirts and prints of his old 'Queen is Dead' photos.

That said, given that the Salford Lads Club have only recently worked with Morrissey on fundraising, and they presumably don't want to piss him off, you might expect that they would run the idea past him, just as a courtesy.

The difference with Stephen Wright is that he would have had Morrissey sign off on the rights to the photos. Professional photographers have the subject sign off his or her rights before taking the pics. Mr. Wright owns all those pics and can do what he wants with them. If I take a photo of Morrissey which I have many times and put it on a t-shirt and sell it around the world and make tons of money...that just doesn't seem right. But it could be. Look at all those stolen moment photos that are in People or on TMZ.

If you think Morrissey gave permission to use the photo you are NUTS. Of course he did NOT! He wouldn't give Joyce a bread crumb if he was on the street dying. Joyce knows that he won't make a big stink about it or it would make Morrissey look bad. As others have said and implied it's a great way to get revenge! He would not give you permission and he can't say anything about it and it is charity. Win win for Joyce.

The difference with Stephen Wright is that he would have had Morrissey sign off on the rights to the photos. Professional photographers have the subject sign off his or her rights before taking the pics. Mr. Wright owns all those pics and can do what he wants with them. If I take a photo of Morrissey which I have many times and put it on a t-shirt and sell it around the world and make tons of money...that just doesn't seem right. But it could be. Look at all those stolen moment photos that are in People or on TMZ.

Well theres not much expectation on privacy when being filmed and showing just the film seems fair but merch seemed different to my layman's mind. Where does the line between endorsing a product such as a cereal, which is a wrong action, to endorsing a company or person selling g a shirt which is OK I guess

Why is it desperate? Is it as desperate as giving a chunk of money to the SLC? What's the difference?
Wearing a T-shirt with an image of someone who has wished you dead IS desperate, or are we to assume it`s some kind of anti- Morrissey stance in the name of irony?
The guy`s a f***wit. So is Morrissey these days but I`ve yet to see him wearing a Mike Joyce t-shirt so Joyce wins the f***wit of the week award.

Does Joyce get a 25% from the sale of these shirts?

No. 10%.
There will be courtroom proceedings in 10 years time when he finally finds out. And than SLC is bankrupt.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom