Mobster Mozzer #9

Mozzer has tarnished his legend by swapping teams every season.

Who next? Man City?

Another aticle about Mozza and Milwall. More of a blog on the BBC SPort website and a bit different from the others,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/chrischarles/2008/10/review_of_the_week_5.html

Never mind the Borats, there was only one story that really caught the eye last week - the news that Morrissey is a Millwall fan.

The sardonic genius/grumpy old git (delete where applicable) has been swanning around LA in a Lions top bearing the legend 'Mobster' - and the famous quiff could be putting in an appearance at the New Den this Saturday when Millwall take on those other shrinking violets, Leeds.

At first glance the lentil-munching, Thatcher-hating, gladioli-wearing pop star and the club whose anthem is "No-one likes us, we don't care" make for strange bedfellows. But then this is the fella who penned tracks called Sweet and Tender Hooligan and that popular ode to Dennis Wise, Bigmouth Strikes Again.

In another startling revelation, Millwall number two Joe Gallen revealed: "Me and Morrissey have been best mates for years and he's always emailing me to see what's going on at the club. He's obsessed with Millwall and its culture." Extraordinary.

Gallen added: "He kept badgering me to ask if he could play 10 minutes in our pre-season friendly against Shelbourne but we couldn't do it. He hasn't been to see a game at the Den yet but he says he is going to try and get over for the Leeds match."

A quick glance at the Millwall messageboards suggested it might take a while for the natives to adopt Mozza as one of their own, with many pointing out that he had previously been photographed in a West Ham shirt, while Ringo the Lion moaned: "We'll have 'Meat is Murder' on our shirts by the end of the season." Fans of Millwall's deadly rivals Crystal Palace were also quick to put the boot in, with one punter observing "No wonder he's such a miserable sod."

I once had a celebrity slash next to Morrissey in Camden's Good Mixer pub, where he was being interviewed by a music journalist. Having got wind that the reporter was stitching him up, I thought it my duty to inform the great man. He fixed me with a look of disdain and snorted: "In your dreams". It's a moment I'll treasure forever.

How many clubs has the Moz had an allegiance to then? Off the top of my head -

Man Ure
West Ham Utd
QPR
Chivas
Millwall
Brondesbury Park Ladies

Can you add anymore teams to this list????

Man Ure
West Ham Utd
QPR
Chivas
Millwall
Brondesbury Park Ladies

Republic of Ireland

I know it's not a club but it's a team.When he played my home town Cork in 1999 he wore an Ireland shirt on stage and what a sight it was.

I once had a celebrity slash next to Morrissey in Camden's Good Mixer pub, where he was being interviewed by a music journalist. Having got wind that the reporter was stitching him up, I thought it my duty to inform the great man. He fixed me with a look of disdain and snorted: "In your dreams". It's a moment I'll treasure forever.
Chris Charles explains further................
It was a long time ago (when I was free to go out drinking on a regular basis) but as I recall it was a guy from Q magazine.

We were quite surprised as Mozza certainly looked like he'd had a few. The journalist used the public phone near where we were sitting and said something along the lines of: "He's hammered now so I think he'll say what we want him to."

Being a big Smiths fan, I felt obliged to tip the wink to Morrissey, but on reflection the loo was probably not the place to do it as I think he thought I was chatting him up.

Republic of Ireland

I know it's not a club but it's a team.When he played my home town Cork in 1999 he wore an Ireland shirt on stage and what a sight it was.

In that case you may as well add Blackburn, Aston Villa and whatever other vintage football shirts he wore on the first part of the Boxers tour '95. Did anyone ever ask why he seemingly never sported them on the latter part of the tour....

Allegedly he watched Chelsea play Liverpool once too and allegedly supported Italy in the 2006 World Cup ahead of the WAGs (Ing-er-land.) He'll probably switch his allegiance to Ing-er-land due to Cappello plus the fact that they look quite good at the moment.

I really think he should support Morecambe. And I don't mean Eric

In that case you may as well add Blackburn, Aston Villa and whatever other vintage football shirts he wore on the first part of the Boxers tour '95. Did anyone ever ask why he seemingly never sported them on the latter part of the tour....

Allegedly he watched Chelsea play Liverpool once too and allegedly supported Italy in the 2006 World Cup ahead of the WAGs (Ing-er-land.) He'll probably switch his allegiance to Ing-er-land due to Cappello plus the fact that they look quite good at the moment.

I really think he should support Morecambe. And I don't mean Eric

It looks to me as if you have added Blackburn and Aston Villa to the list.
The questions was asked were "How many clubs has the Moz had an allegiance to then? and Can you add anymore teams to this list????"
I consider the fact he wore a football shirt an allegiance to team of the shirt he's wearing.

Man Ure
West Ham Utd
QPR
Chivas
Millwall
Brondesbury Park Ladies

add Blackburn rovers to that list and less of the Man Ure, it makes you look silly

It looks to me as if you have added Blackburn and Aston Villa to the list.
The questions was asked were "How many clubs has the Moz had an allegiance to then? and Can you add anymore teams to this list????"
I consider the fact he wore a football shirt an allegiance to team of the shirt he's wearing.

Alright then!!! Morrissey has also mentioned Arsenal!

Though that was in the days of the "1-0 to the Arsenal"; rather than the flamboyant foreign nearly achievers they are nowadays. immigration hey?:D

I would also say he mentioned following the career of a certain John Morrissey, who mostly played for Tranmere Rovers (its all in an interview, somewhere....)

Moz just mentioned on BBC

The reporter on the BBC interactive footy score thingy, obviously aware of the news, has just reported from the Millwall-Leeds game, and said it was just as well Morrissey stayed at home, because it's a dull game. Who knows - his binoculars might have already scanned the ground.

Peter

Re: Moz just mentioned on BBC

The reporter on the BBC interactive footy score thingy, obviously aware of the news, has just reported from the Millwall-Leeds game, and said it was just as well Morrissey stayed at home, because it's a dull game. Who knows - his binoculars might have already scanned the ground.

Peter

Thanks for the info Peter.I think if Morrissey is there he's probably more interested in what's going on off the pitch. :gun:

According to BBC Radio 5 Live... Morrissey was spotted at the Man Yooo v West Brom game today!

My stepdad told me that Morrissey was at the Millwall v. Leeds game. :confused: He didn't go, but he said it was on the Millwall website and if he had gone he would have been sitting in the same stand as Morrissey.

na Mozza was at the Bolton v Blackburn game yesterday, he was sat just in front of me singing to the bolton fans. he was getting really involved and at one point threw a cheese pie at one of there fans, whilst singing, "who are ya".

He most definitely was at the Liverpool game saying “you’ll never walk alone"

I would also say he mentioned following the career of a certain John Morrissey, who mostly played for Tranmere Rovers (its all in an interview, somewhere....)

In the late 90's when City were shite and playing in the 2nd and 3rd divisions, City enquired about signing John Morrissey from Tranmere. I was so excited at the thought of having my first ever name printed on the back of a City shirt, when Tranny demanded a ridiculous £250,000 on the basis that although we were shite, we were loaded!
City passed the player by and I never got to have 'Morrissey' emblazoned on the back of my replica shirt:(
Two months later Tranny agreed to flog Morrissey to Stockport County for £50,000.......:mad:

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom