Morrissey - a fan of Bernie Sanders, George Galloway and Jeremy Corbyn

Maurice E Maher

I haven't managed to read all the stuff posted in the last few days but I've seen quite a lot about Morrissey's comments on Nigel Farage and immigration (think he was criticising Theresa May's record). You could easily get the impression from this (and the media more generally) that Morrissey is some kind of unhinged right-wing lunatic.
It's worth pointing out that he came out firmly in favour of Bernie Sanders in the US election, he has recently offered praise for left-wing maverick George Galloway, and has also been pretty positive about Jeremy Corbyn.
I would suggest that he is just pretty muddled when it comes to politics but he's always been opposed to the Conservatives whether it was expressed through Margaret on the Guillotine, Glamorous Glue or his most recent comments about Theresa May and fox hunting, and David Cameron before her.
If Morrissey is keen to comment on politics more widely, he really needs a critical friend to discuss things with before publicly airing his views whether on TTy or FB. Otherwise, I just wish he'd push on with recording the new album.

I think you're totally right. Morrissey is pretty muddled when it comes to politics. That part of the brain that tries to see the whole picture is basically missing in him, I think, so he doesn't really know what any of these people stand for. It's not an excuse, though.

He said he himself, he is his most critical friend but he can't help it cause with many things he has his heart on his tongue. And his foot in his mouth.
And how cringeworhty and irritating his words sometimes are I still admire him for that.
I don't think you can distill some political advise from his outbursts.
While you named a few names he has expressed sympathy for and others which disgust him, I think the lyrics from Worldpeace, every time you vote you support the process comes much nearer but I don't know for sure of course.
He really gets angry and sarcastic and mean when the animals are at stake. I mean literary.

Last edited:
I don't think he has a clue when it comes to politics and he wanted to swap footballs for politicians heads to be able to watch football again and maybe that says it all about the man.

Isn't that the view of an extremist?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extremism

He comes out as positive about farage and what he says and think but seems to hate trump who has the enthusiastic support of farage. Dislikes trump and his ideas but thinks what le pen who says many similar things with many similar campaigns points as trump won a debate that a large majority thought she lost. It's hard to see how these things balance. Sometimes it just seems like he's super short sighted

Reckon our peaceful Malibu neighborhood is turning to shit because of Uncle Steve and Trump supporter John Lydon fighting all the time.

Reckon our peaceful Malibu neighborhood is turning to shit because of Uncle Steve and Trump supporter John Lydon fighting all the time.

Are they throwing baskets of pasta with marinara sauce at eachother?
My oh my, aunt Nancy will be furious!
But Moz will grab him with one arm and hold him and shake him a bit around.
Piece of cake, that guy is ALLWAYS drunk.
If the police cars arrive and the tv-stations and helicopters are hanging above the premises please let us know!

He comes out as positive about farage and what he says and think but seems to hate trump who has the enthusiastic support of farage. Dislikes trump and his ideas but thinks what le pen who says many similar things with many similar campaigns points as trump won a debate that a large majority thought she lost. It's hard to see how these things balance. Sometimes it just seems like he's super short sighted

So I guess his sympathy for Marine Le Pen has to to with the animals and his disgust of halal butchering.
And his contempt for Cameron and May with their pro-foxhounting stance.
The animals are maybe a good sign to figure out his sympathies and dislikes for politicians.
But then there is Farage, he likes him for his Brexitstance but dislikes his pro-foxhounting.
Buy the way, he never said he would really vote for UKIP.
But was contemplating it.

in germany's taz (leftist daily paper) the moz post was also dealt with, more analytical though, moz is also described as a "d'accord" person who openly criticized sexism and heteronormativity. the author sees a problem in the belief that taking up the opposite standpoint no matter what is still considered to be automatically critical and cool, which, according to the author, is no longer true nowadays. it is said that moz is cultivating an anti-stance for the sake of the anti-stance and thus ends up with right- as well as left-wing people acting in concert and thrown into the same pot.

I don't know if that's all that's involved in his decision making but I could believe it a strong factor

I agree. I don't think politics is really Morrissey's area of expertise and I don't think he expresses himself terribly well when he talks about it. I think he likes the idea of political "outsiders" and often enthusiastically aligns himself to them without, perhaps, fully thinking through what they are promoting.

Morrissey's politics are all over the place but there are two things in which he has long been consistent.

He doesn't like immigration
He doesn't like paying tax

In these regards he is perfectly alt right

Well this one doesn't help

“Although I don’t have anything against people from other countries, the higher the influx into England the more the British identity disappears. So the price is enormous. If you travel to Germany, it’s still absolutely Germany. If you travel to Sweden, it still has a Swedish identity. But travel to England and you have no idea where you are.”

Sounds very nationalistic. It sounds like he's saying I don't mind immigrants but I dont want them here if they're gonna change the culture I'm used to. That doesn't to me sound like a fan of immigration and is very similar to many in the alt right and puts him against a pluralistic societal model

Are most Morrissey-Solo posters from the UK? And do they not have an equivalent of a "Bernie Bro"?

A not-insignificant amount of progressive Bernie Sanders supporters in the US voted for Donald Trump over Hillary Clinton last November. They likely would not have voted for a mainstream republican which I think could be fairly equated to the UK's Tories, but could easily get behind an anti-establishment, anti-globalist right wing candidate like Farage over a pro-corporation leftie.

If it wasn't for his wall comments, I could easily see Morrissey praising Trump the same way he does Farage and LePen but he can't let that loyal Latino audience down! (And I do think he genuinely likes hispanic people).

If the left gave people a real progressive candidate that put people over corporations and didn't squabble over stupid shit like identity politics, Morrissey wouldn't have to run to the arms of the alternative right (which has more to it than white supremacy but is generally very nationalistic). Social Justice Warriors (I don't care for the term but there's really no other word for them) have basically ruined the left for any sane person these days. Many of them considered Bernie sexist for running against Hillary and racist for a number of other convoluted reasons.

Whatever. I'm just glad that more and more people are seeing through the fake concerns of the mainstream left and have decided that the mainstream right isn't good enough either.

it's a monocausal explanation for what he perceives as a loss of identity. and it is of course a sad thing to see old traditions disappear that mean a lot to you. but, i'd say there are many more reasons why identities vanish nowadays, e.g. gentrification leaving its mark on urban landscapes or globalization on small family business enterprises, international finance, etc. to name just a few. so i wouldnt agree with this rather narrow causal analysis. and sometimes it is absolutely great to see certain traditions disappear.
this quote doesnt sound stubbornly or aggressively nationalistic to me or alt-right, like trying to defend the uk with a wall, creating enemies outside, etc., it's an accepting observation with a bit of snivelling (if thats the correct word), that of a traditionalist who is probably not a "fan" of immigration. but do we always have to be? most of us just accept the changes as part of life without being overtly enthusiastic about it. and does this mean that we are then automatically anti-pluralistic? id disagree
btw i'd be very interested to know what he perceives as "absolutely germany", sounds a bit like the hippies' quest for the "real india". there are many parallel societies in germany that exist especially in the big cities. i hope he doesnt think that all germans should wear dirndl and lederhosen, drink gallons of beer and eat tons of sausages while swaying to accordeon music

It sounds protectionist and that he views immigration as a negative and a threat to the vastly important national culture, which largely seems to be a white culture, that he lives in (blacks fit in if they act British and not like those rastas). A threat for just existing as they are in his space and the threat is enormous in his eyes. It's not like he goes on about British youth changing the culture he used to know and love he talks about immigration changing it so it makes it seem less like he's afraid of it changing but rather who's doing the changing and what they're changing it into. Sure he gripes about youth today but never have I heard him say it threatens the Britain he knows and loves any more than when he was twenty at least. Couple it, and it's not his only comment on the subject, with his support of people like farage and le pen saying they speak good sense it starts to not make a pretty mosaic from my perspective. They're largely known for there views on immigration so it's hard for me to believe he likes there views if not those views. I don't think him racist though I do think him a nationalist, a distinction which becomes slightly problematic if you view it as a white culture, who on immigration sounds an awful lot like an average person from the alt right

farrah-abraham-okkkkk.gif

I haven't managed to read all the stuff posted in the last few days but I've seen quite a lot about Morrissey's comments on Nigel Farage and immigration (think he was criticising Theresa May's record). You could easily get the impression from this (and the media more generally) that Morrissey is some kind of unhinged right-wing lunatic.
It's worth pointing out that he came out firmly in favour of Bernie Sanders in the US election, he has recently offered praise for left-wing maverick George Galloway, and has also been pretty positive about Jeremy Corbyn.
I would suggest that he is just pretty muddled when it comes to politics but he's always been opposed to the Conservatives whether it was expressed through Margaret on the Guillotine, Glamorous Glue or his most recent comments about Theresa May and fox hunting, and David Cameron before her.
If Morrissey is keen to comment on politics more widely, he really needs a critical friend to discuss things with before publicly airing his views whether on TTy or FB. Otherwise, I just wish he'd push on with recording the new album.

Thanks for taking the time to post this. I was beginning to think that the trolls had sapped all the energy from true fans with their constant intolerance. There are also some interesting responses to this comment so thanks are also due to all of you for a little insight and less hate-fuelled nonsense.

I think Morrissey foolish to have commented in the way in which he did. It highlighted just how little he understands not only of politics but also compassion. While I don't believe Morrissey to be racist the ambiguity in his statements often lend themselves to widespread misinterpretation and he has to take reponsibility for that. He has to be absolutely clear what he means or accept all the negativity when it comes. He has brought all of this upon himself and rather than ignore what has been said of him I genuinely hope that he repsonds with insight and above all compassion. I doubt this will occur but I hope.

i cannot and will not base any judgement of a person on mere speculation, like this one "...national culture, which largely seems to be a white culture, that he lives in (blacks fit in if they act British and not like those rastas)". such a remark cannot be found in the above mentioned statement at all. also he doesnt talk of a threat but a "price" to pay. "threat" is what you use here, an emotionalizing word.
also i dont understand your focus on "the youth" and whether he does or does not gripe about them. when we talk about immigrants we talk about all sorts of people of different character, social background and age. there is nothing of that to be found in the statement.
dont get me wrong, i think it is legitimate to speculate about someone's true intentions, but we have to be sure to know the difference between a judgement based on verifiable facts (!) and those judgements based on mere speculation.
i have to repeat that i cannot find anything aggressively nationalistic in the above mentioned statement. in my eyes an aggressive nationalist is calling on politicians or the population to do things that might be a disadvantage or harmful to people of other ethnic or national backgrounds, e.g. like approving of and supporting attacks on refugee homes
personally i would not speak of "national identies" myself, and if so, i would make clear what i mean exactly, because it is always just a construct.

'dont get me wrong, i think it is legitimate to speculate about someone's true intentions, but we have to be sure to know the difference between a judgement based on verifiable facts (!) and those judgements based on mere speculation.'

^
THIS... TENFOLD ! :thumb::rock::thumb::rock::thumb::rock::rock:

i cannot and will not base any judgement of a person on mere speculation, like this one "...national culture, which largely seems to be a white culture, that he lives in (blacks fit in if they act British and not like those rastas)". such a remark cannot be found in the above mentioned statement at all. also he doesnt talk of a threat but a "price" to pay. "threat" is what you use here, an emotionalizing word.
also i dont understand your focus on "the youth" and whether he does or does not gripe about them. when we talk about immigrants we talk about all sorts of people of different character, social background and age. there is nothing of that to be found in the statement.
dont get me wrong, i think it is legitimate to speculate about someone's true intentions, but we have to be sure to know the difference between a judgement based on verifiable facts (!) and those judgements based on mere speculation.
i have to repeat that i cannot find anything aggressively nationalistic in the above mentioned statement. in my eyes an aggressive nationalist is calling on politicians or the population to do things that might be a disadvantage or harmful to people of other ethnic or national backgrounds, e.g. like approving of and supporting attacks on refugee homes
personally i would not speak of "national identies" myself, and if so, i would make clear what i mean exactly, because it is always just a construct.

It's not difficult to argue that supporting in a variety of way politicians who do call on officials do disadvantage and harm to the people you mention such as le pen and Nigel and many of those supporters do use reasons and justifications that sound extremely similar to this statement and other he's made recently and in the past. Milo what's his name, horrible sensationalist alt right troll, didn't like his post bombing statement because he didnt see something of his own beliefs in his recent statement after the bombing. It's because his wording, in that statement and in others past, sound very familiar and looks a lot like what people on Steve bannons website talk about (where milo once worked). I mentioned youth because I don't think morrissey would be as upset about British youth changing culture trying to point out that morrisseys love of British culture doesn't always seem like it's just an attachment for a time and place but rather a people. Also the word threat wasn't intended to sensationalize but I do think he believes immigration to be a threat to what he wants in his culture but I don't mean to make that sound overblown or to insinuate that he considers it threatening enough or his love of British culture strong enough to make him unethical but then again, as mentioned above, this line of thinking and his support of certain politicians does mean me wonder. Of course I'll never know for sure as I don't have current access to morrissey but this is also another gripe and disappointment. As a person who is know to be such a good communicator of the human experience and writing in general he's awfully vague and full of insinuation and leading with no substantial details and things like today's immigration racism nationalistic bombjng environment deserve clarity imo. Its disappointing as given his ability to write so well it seems almost intentional

I would also like to add that i agree with the person who mentioned just how exhausting it all is and can leave you feeling tired of writing on the subject and burnt out

Back
Top Bottom