Morrissey A-Z: "Blue Dreamers Eyes"

Oh man...This song hits me right in the gut. It really sums up why I (we?) love Mozzer and why I fell in love with him in the first place. The melody is superb, the lyrics are from the heart and the atmosphere is warm and melancholy. It's a crime that it never had a proper release. This is the type of song that people long to hear from Moz. This is the antithesis to World Peace, Who Will Protect Us, The Girl from Tel Aviv, Neal Cassady etc etc.
Absolutely.

I like it -- but surely Morrissey has written this vocal melody many times before? It's so familiar, it sounds like an early version of some other song. But it's a good lyric and a nice sentiment. If we're comparing this to LIHS, it's better than almost anything on the latter half (bar Israel).
Yes, it's really familiar. The vocal line on "I'm only just starting to live" is exactly the same melody he used for "Your life has not even begun" from Yes, I Am Blind.

This song got dropped after Moz said somethin' wild. Haha.
Can't remember what it was, but they gave it out and it was
funny because of the I'm scum stuff.
Always kinda thought that even though Moz gots blue eyes, the
blue eyes he's singin' about are some sad eyes and not the color.
A sad dreamer thinkin' just how much better things really could be.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I think it's slightly overrated. That's not to say I don't like it, I do and still play it regularly, but I'm afraid it's a bit too obvious and hackneyed and too sweet and sugary for my liking. I actually liked By The Time I Get To Wherever I'm Going and especially I Couldn't Understand Why People Laughed better.

I do love the "I'm scum and I've always been scum" line.

The quality is an absolute shame and no song should be released in such a way in this day and age.
I agree. It’s lost for a reason.

It's a bit too familiar lyrically, but some of the vocal swooning is nice. I get a bit of a 60's vibe from it. It's got plenty of potential, and is clearly either a demo or something that was abandoned before it had too much work done on it. This really should have been worked on a bit more though, as it's certainly worthy of at least being a decent B-side, if nothing else. A wasted opportunity.

That'll be down to who shared the song - they've got previous for grammar issues.

I find it an ear worm. The lack of details about it and the ambiguity of certain lyrics give way to a strong, crooning vocal and strings which are never a bad thing.
A decent Boorer track and one I like - which obviously means a decent quality version is out of the question. The general response here at the time of it appearing was positive.
Regards,
FWD.

(It dates to circa 2017, where it first appeared on the BMI site - which is the closest to accurate as it gets with Sam's unnecessary lack of clarity).
I just looked at the BMI site and “Arts & Crafts Spectacular” is listed. When did he cover this?

I just looked at the BMI site and “Arts & Crafts Spectacular” is listed. When did he cover this?
He didn't.
BMI can credit artists who use samples in their own works. Which is how things like The Secret Of Music lists the sample providers as composers.
In this case though, it appears that Under the Influence: Morrissey featured the Spark's version of the song, but the album artist is credited and attributed to Morrissey - so he appears on the BMI entry too. There is no hard and fast sense to that site and since it was 'upgraded' - it hasn't improved. Take a pinch of salt with some of it. It's proved useful for unreleased songs, but some of it is just inaccurate.
Regards,
FWD.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I think it's slightly overrated. That's not to say I don't like it, I do and still play it regularly, but I'm afraid it's a bit too obvious and hackneyed and too sweet and sugary for my liking. I actually liked By The Time I Get To Wherever I'm Going and especially I Couldn't Understand Why People Laughed better.

I do love the "I'm scum and I've always been scum" line.

The quality is an absolute shame and no song should be released in such a way in this day and age.
I seem to recall hearing this around the same time as "By The Time I Get..." and liking that one better. Hearing it again now, it definitely sounds stronger than what I remembered. Glad I revisited this one.

I seem to recall hearing this around the same time as "By The Time I Get..." and liking that one better. Hearing it again now, it definitely sounds stronger than what I remembered. Glad I revisited this one.

Agree. It’s strange how songs can sound different to someone at different points in time, & of course it’s not the song that changes.

Have any of the fans, with talent snc ability tried to clean this up for us?

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom