Morrissey A-Z: "Brow of My Beloved"

I was happy when I first heard this. After having been shellshocked by LIHS, I was glad he had finally released a melodic, breezy and melancholy pop song about love again.

It's so odd to have 2 versions of an obscurity like this, when much more desired songs still remain unbooted. Not that I'm complaining too much, as I quite enjoy each iteration.

The b-side version is superior and Boz's music and the production are quite strong. Morrissey is also in very good voice.

The lyrics are ok for what they are, but they are a little slight and certainly not weighty enough to make a 4 and a half minute song. It could easily have been trimmed by 90 seconds or so.

In the poll on the other board it ranked 135 from 264 solo songs.

It's so odd to have 2 versions of an obscurity like this, when much more desired songs still remain unbooted. Not that I'm complaining too much, as I quite enjoy each iteration.

The b-side version is superior and Boz's music and the production are quite strong. Morrissey is also in very good voice.

The lyrics are ok for what they are, but they are a little slight and certainly not weighty enough to make a 4 and a half minute song. It could easily have been trimmed by 90 seconds or so.

In the poll on the other board it ranked 135 from 264 solo songs.

What's the other version? (apologies if this is widely known/shared)

The usual vague information abounds regarding this.
It appears to have roots in the Italy / France sessions as it was a known Boorer track and circa 2017 was when the name appeared on the BMI site (SER's recent share maybe an earlier take?).
It is then asserted to be a Sunset, LA recording, 2018 - which I take to mean re-recorded or finished in 2018.
It then got jumped around as to which single it would feature on just for good measure.
I enjoyed hearing both versions, but the digital FLAC sounds great turned up.
Another solid Boz tune.
Gets regular airing here.
Regards,
FWD.

like both versions,great song,when an M song has lots of ooohs in it i know im in for a good time,its something he does very well.
with this lockdown im sure bozz and the rest of the band are writing stuff and im sure M has put pen to paper so there could be plenty of material to come when this is over.

I enjoy the song musically, and felt Boz did well in its composition. The title is classic Morrissey of course. But for whatever the reason it never gripped me.

Well-stated by Sir Gregor above, in that its melodic and breezy. Its comforting at any measure.

However, only two out of seven stanzas/verses actually carry the tune with anything but the same repeated phrase. For me its tough to delineate where the bridge and chorus are. I suppose one may argue that any doo-wop song is guilty of the same, but I hold Morrissey to a higher-standard than most others. BLUF, I expect more from my Morrissey music -- we deserve it!

Once again Morrissey consigns a great song to a b-side. I can imagine Scott Walker singing this - it has a late-60s vibe to it, the guitar solo notwithstanding.

I love this song. I can feel the frustration and the yearning with the way he stretches out the words. Musics nice as well with the breezy keys and acoustic giving way to the swell and crest. The music at times reminded me a bit of a few suede head music era songs

I feel the same about this one as I do about Blue Dreamers Eyes - it's a nice tune, nice vocals, nice melody but it's a bit slight for my taste. A good b side.

The repetitiveness might be intended and in this case helps to illustrate the lyrical theme ("you're always the same...").

I like the 'stripped back' alternative version as well (less electronic beeps and bops).

Once again Morrissey consigns a great song to a b-side. I can imagine Scott Walker singing this - it has a late-60s vibe to it, the guitar solo notwithstanding.
Yes, I hear that as well. I often hear some Scott in Moz' stuff, to be honest. That fact that he has never(?) mentioned Scott baffles me. Seems right up his alley. The crooning 60s stuff seems like something he would like musically, and and late era Scott should appeal to Mozzers love for outsiders and those who go against the grain.

Strange, I was just watching a video on how to get rid of our "inner handbreaks" on yt, and now this song comes up again.

For me it's a song about being stuck in one of life's dead-end-streets, but, which makes this situation even harder to endure, is the knowledge about life's possibilities, especially about knowing that there might be people out there who are more in tune with oneself than the folks one is stuck with.

What puzzles me is the number of people mentioned in the song, could be three (voice, a you, beloved) but could also be just two if the voice is sort of in a conversation with him- or herself and critizing him-/herself for being so stagnant plus the "you".

The relationship between the voice and the beloved (be it one or two people) is described ambivalently. The "beloved" is still the beloved, but somehow it feels as if this word of endearment is used by habit and no longer by affection. The beloved has turned into an "inner handbreak", a grumpy one (furrowed brow), that keeps the voice from unfolding and developing any further.

So the conflict could be an inner or an outer conflict, depending on how many people are in the song.

For me it is also a song about resignation which is supported by the chastened melody and musical accompaniment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love how the lines in the chorus start out bellowing and soaring and decline back to earth. Like they start out hopeful and come back down exhausted in familiar fashion

Today's entry in the A-Z is this one, the b-side of the "Wedding Bell Blues" single:

What do we think?

Both versions are great. Though I think I prefer the one below it’s mix is more relaxed and doesn’t hit you over the head like the above mix.

This version I prefer, right from the beginning it draws me in, Boz usually writes the more interesting songs, chord choices, etc. The chorus soars makes me think of Kate Bush, love the cymbal and tom roll into it, also love the way it drops back down into the verse, something
oceanic about it, then it gets all heavy with guitar and sax solo lol! which is great! And the keyboard sound arrangements, the sitar like sound towards the end, wow! there’s something for everyone in this one.
And again as always, Morrissey’s voice, and words of yearning and disappointment touched with humor.

More please. :)

On a cold winter evening, in a warm room, the red lantern lit and lying on my back, I can rejoice in the beauty of this song.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom