Morrissey A-Z: "Come Back to Camden"

The opening lines of this very beautiful song are deeply touching me

There's something I wanted to tell you
so funny you'll kill yourself laughing
and then I look around
and remember that I am alone / alone forever more.

Sorry, but does anyone think this song is a bit overrated? at least here on solo.

CBTC is to Quarry what Home Is A Question Mark is to LIHS.

Having said that, it is one of his best from his best.

:thumb:

Pity the production does not give it proper justice.

Yeah, that’s my biggest gripe about the album, a production that sounds a bit plastic to me, don’t know how else to describe it.

A true masterpiece. The strongest track off of a very strong album. Excellent work by both Moz and Boz.
Words and music conjure up feelings of nostalgia, longing and loss that would shatter the hardest of hearts.

A magical song, with real beauty embroidered into it as well...
I can remember playing the long awaited Quarry for the first time and hearing this song along with Hector , I like you, and was blown away. My favourite album and not a bad song on it , which is unusual for me as I normally dislike Two on each album....

I'd agree regarding the plastic production. It all feels very lifeless,synthetic and sterile. Morrissey's voice is the only human thing about it.
My guess is Morrissey was so desperate for mainstream radio play and a comeback hit record, that all the life and spontenaety on this album has been polished away.

I like most really enjoy this song. I don’t know if it’s my fav off quarry but it’s a highlight. I don’t have any experience with this place but I love all of the specific detail that makes the sentiment behind the song feel real however vague it’s subject is

An absolutely beautiful song that easily makes my Moz Top 10.

Nostalgia is a feeling that Moz just captures so well. And the idea of 'home' - being stifled by it when you're young, then moving from country to country, eventually realising that the grass isn't greener and that your troubles follow you. On YATQ, you get a sense that he's had his fill of LA and is dreaming about better times - but even in more recent years, living in Europe's best 5* hotels, he's still writing about Old Trafford. I can only imagine how much losing his Mum has magnified this sense of wandering, rootlessness. 'Home is some place I dunno.'

I posted this clip about 8 years ago.
Boz is very proud of this track - you ask him, he'll tell you :)

A highlight on Quarry for myself at least.
Regards,
FWD.

I wonder what this event/ceremony was about?

Such a great song. Took me a while to warm to it back in '04, but it's up there now.

Sorry, but does anyone think this song is a bit overrated? at least here on solo.

CBTC is to Quarry what Home Is A Question Mark is to LIHS.

Having said that, it is one of his best from his best.

:thumb:
I love it, but agree that it’s a bit overrated as well. I think it’s probably due to the fact that Quarry is pretty skimpy on ballads and this is one of the only “sad” songs on the whole record. Everything we got a preview of in 2002 was essentially a rocker, so this contemplative, melancholy track was a pleasant surprise when the album finally came out.

I wonder what this event/ceremony was about?

Such a great song. Took me a while to warm to it back in '04, but it's up there now.
FWD.

IMO, a near-flawless song for many of the reasons already expressed here. The very closing lines get me every time:

And still we say come back
Come back to Camden
And I'll be good, I'll be good, I'll be good, I'll be good

I can’t recall how I felt about this when Quarry was released, which is annoying me. The only Quarry track to not get played live in 04, and 4 years on, everyone convinced it was going to be included in the Rounhkuse shows. Interesting it took 7 years, and after 2 outings, was never to be seen again. Maybe Morrissey isn’t quite as fond of it as Boz.
My own opinion is it’s best played as part of Quarry, as oppose to on its lonesome.

I thought he never brought this song live.
But if he did once or twice, is there a recording available?

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom