Morrissey A-Z: "Driving Your Girlfriend Home"

Given the amount of similarly themed Morrissey lyrics, I always presumed the narrator was the girl's 'gay best friend', having to listen to her bitch about her boyfriend and their relationship, all the while blissfully unaware that the narrator is jealous and desperately craves the guy himself.
Yeah, as far as stereotypes go, I find this more convincing than the 'friendzone' approach. but I still don't see it in this song. There's nothing that makes me think he fancies either of them.

"I love her, I love her, I love her" - I don't think that's the lyric - is that misheard? In the live rendition of "What Do You See in Him" that I heard, he sings, "She's the lifeblood of me / As you walk hand in hand / I try and I try but I will never understand (..)" and then kind of vocalises "oh ha-ha, uh-huh-uh, uh-huh-,huh".

Yes, agree, haven’t listened to ‘What Do You See..’ in a while, but I think I remember noticing that to my ear they got some of the lyrics wrong, I assume you’re referencing the lyrics
posted on Passions just like mine?

Okay listened again...

And I always heard it as ‘seized the life out of me, as you walk hand in hand’

First of all, I don't hear it as "I love her, I love her...". It's just vocalisation, "la da da, la da da"... That seems pretty important.
yes, agree.
It's exactly like you said, he looks at this relationship and wonders what they see in each other, while he's feeling left out ("cheat the life out of me, as you walk hand in hand..." is a very dramatic way of saying that). And he ends up wishing for the demise of their relationship. How mean 😉. It's the antithesis of Happy Lovers At Last United.

It is kind of similar to Driving Your Girlfriend Home except that here it's the girlfriend herself asking "What do I see in him?".
:thumb:

It has been performed live, but only towards the end of the Kill Uncle tour.

It is criminally underrated and he should dig it out again at some point in the future...

It was performed right at the start of the KU tour. And on all 7 legs. In fact, it may possibly have been done at most (if not all) shows from that tour. :)And then never saw the light of day, like the rest of them :rolleyes::paranoid:

An uncharacteristically lovely song from that era, it sounds like it could've been a b-side from the Meat is Murder sessions. It fits right alongside Stretch Out and Wait or That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore or something. Such an honest and understated little vignette, it takes me right back to being in my late-teens.

First of all, I don't hear it as "I love her, I love her...". It's just vocalisation, "la da da, la da da"... That seems pretty important.

It's exactly like you said, he looks at this relationship and wonders what they see in each other, while he's feeling left out ("cheat the life out of me, as you walk hand in hand..." is a very dramatic way of saying that). And he ends up wishing for the demise of their relationship. How mean 😉. It's the antithesis of Happy Lovers At Last United.

It is kind of similar to Driving Your Girlfriend Home except that here it's the girlfriend herself asking "What do I see in him?".
i love happy lovers at last united,such a great song and hardly ever gets a mention on here.

i love happy lovers at last united,such a great song and hardly ever gets a mention on here.
God, do I agree! Amazing pop song.

Initially I thought this song was quite dull. It just didn’t do anything for me. But over time I really began to appreciate the understated nature of the song. It is now one of my favorites. Simply beautiful.

It's she's the lifeblood of me. :thumb:

It's she's the lifeblood of me. :thumb:
Yeah, that's another transcription error. I actually hear it as "seize the life out of me" too though.

Yeah, that's another transcription error. I actually hear it as "seize the life out of me" too though.
Yeah - I've just listened again and I hear that too, as well as "What do you see in her?" I much prefer "She's the lifeblood of me" though!

Yeah - I've just listened again and I hear that too, as well as "What do you see in her?" I much prefer "She's the lifeblood of me" though!
He sings both "What do you see in him?" And "What do you see in her?".

The lifeblood line sounds nice, but I think it would change the meaning of the song slightly.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom