Morrissey A-Z: "Earth Is the Loneliest Planet"

Do you mean his singing is off key? I do perceive some disjointedness between the music and the vocal harmony.

Mayfly, Mayfly I was only joking when I said...

;)

But I do hear/feel a ‘disjointedness’ in the overall sound, though some would call that a ‘modern production’ I guess.

Nice to see some love for this song.
I used to be fairly obsessed with it but somehow lost that feeling as time went on.

Still love the vocal melody here, Jesse's guitar (shoot me, but I'm a sucker for that dissonant sound) and Kristeen's backing vocals. The rest doesn't do much for me anymore but it has an interesting sombre feeling to it and some nice lyrical bits.

Oh, and the spoken word video is lovely.

Last edited:
Nice to see some love for this song.
I used to be fairly obsessed with it but somehow lost that feeling as time went on.

Still love the vocal melody here, Jesse's guitar (shoot me, but I'm a sucker for that dissonant sound) and Kristeen's backing vocals. The rest doesn't do much for me anymore but it has an interesting sombre feeling to it and some nice lyrical bits.

Oh, and the spoken word video is lovely.

Yes, the added guitar and when it comes in, a much needed and complimentary touch. Also like the movement of the song.

Just actually listened to the song for the first time in a couple of years. Love the arrangement - the accordion, the harp, the acoustic intro etc. We just weren't used to hearing these things in a Morrissey song. The title is great - the idea that the planet we live on, the only known inhabited one in the universe, is actually the loneliest. Clever!
Agree - typical Morrissey wit. Just to clarify my earlier comment... I do applaud the change in sound. Just maybe the music should have been a bit lower in the mix to allow his vocals to come through. I would also agree, it's a solid 5/10.

Last edited:
To me it has its charm and I just adore the musical range that Morrissey has and is not only open to but continually being different (if that makes sense).

Moz struggles a bit with the latin rhythm, but it's nice.

I love the spoken word version - he should do voice overs. And a book of poetry. Or at least get his lyrics published. ❤

How I rank the 'lonely' songs (PS - this should be an EP):

1. I Wish You Lonely
  2. Please Help the Cause Against Loneliness
  3. Loneliness Remembers What Happiness Forgets
  4. Earth is the Loneliest Planet

Have I missed any?

Don't rate the song at all but the spoken word - I could listen to him all day. I love the way he speaks and I can't believe how much - in that clip - his speaking voice resembles young Moz. Softer, still with that quasi-Irish lilt, it's not how he sounds in interviews.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom