Morrissey A-Z: "Edges Are No Longer Parallel, The"

So you also bought the Rare Tracks EP? I was going to say that I find it much more satisfying and consistent in quality than the Maladjusted LP.
I have to disagree here. In a big advocate of Maladjusted and it’s b-sides but, despite Rare Tracks being a great addition in 98, and remaining so even beyond the 2009 expanded editon of Maladjusted, I don’t think those 6 tracks are stronger than the 10 on Maladjusted (11 if you include US/Japan versions) - only IMO.

There is a Blondie album or song called parallel lines.

Gorgeous ballad with excellent lyrics...yet it's a bit too long and feels a bit repetitive and...noisy...towards the end. This is a song that, even though it's great, isn't as strong as it 'should' be. But at the end of the day, still a solid 8/10.
@Gregor Samsa - pretty spot on description - even as-is just being about a minute shorter would be an improvement. Anyway, too bad it wasn't recorded during the main Maladjusted sessions, it might have ended up on the album as it's stronger than a lot of what did.

@Gregor Samsa - pretty spot on description - even as-is just being about a minute shorter would be an improvement. Anyway, too bad it wasn't recorded during the main Maladjusted sessions, it might have ended up on the album as it's stronger than a lot of what did.
I sense a dig at the Maladjusted album - and I won't stand for it! The b-sides are definitely better than Sorrow, Papa Jack and maybe Roy's Keen (even though that particular song gets too much flack, it's no worse than Fatty, for example, and miles better than Kiss Me a Lot), but these songs still make some sense on the album. I'm not sure most of the b-sides would. That said, 'Edges' could be the one Maladjusted b-side that production and sound wise would make sense on the album.

So - anyone want to hazard a guess at the exactly what 'edges' Morrissey is referring to in this song? Unless I'm missing something, it seems like a pretty obscure reference. Table edges? The edges of his sideburns? Or is there a missing apostrophe, and the cockney narrator is actually talking about the state of his garden hedges? :unsure:

One of the top 10 Morrissey/Whyte songs in my humble - there are around 70 in total so quite a compliment.
Anyone else hear the rumour that the title was inspired by the singer's family skiing holidays to the Alps in the early 1970s?

I have to disagree here. In a big advocate of Maladjusted and it’s b-sides but, despite Rare Tracks being a great addition in 98, and remaining so even beyond the 2009 expanded editon of Maladjusted, I don’t think those 6 tracks are stronger than the 10 on Maladjusted (11 if you include US/Japan versions) - only IMO.

Maladjusted has some very strong songs on it, which are easily better than most of these b-sides. My appreciation of Maladjusted has also grown over the years, reading some of the opinions here made me go back and listen again. But a song like Ambitious outsider or Sorrow will never be high on my list and that's why I call the album inconsistent in quality.

A personal favorite, I've always really loved this one. Sometimes a simple idea works best and the way the loud part kicks in at the end suits Morrissey's mantra of disappointment perfectly. I also heard this on Rare Tracks and have vivid memories of blasting it in my car. Maladjusted as a whole is a real driving album for me, but maybe I'll save those thoughts for some of the album tracks proper.

So - anyone want to hazard a guess at the exactly what 'edges' Morrissey is referring to in this song? Unless I'm missing something, it seems like a pretty obscure reference. Table edges? The edges of his sideburns? Or is there a missing apostrophe, and the cockney narrator is actually talking about the state of his garden hedges? :unsure:
It was inspired by a ski holiday, apparently. Other than an unforeseen avalanche, edges not being parallel is about the worst thing that can happen to you on a tricky black slope.

Thanks for clearing up the mystery - I would never have expected Moz to write a song about skiing.

I'm a huge fan of Morrissey b-sides and rare songs. This is a huge highlight, I can't believe it's not on an album. It's so yearning and epic and sad but still with some brutal wit.

One of my favourite song of his. It should have never been a b side and should have ended the Maladjusted album.

Last edited:
Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom