Morrissey A-Z: "El Cóndor Pasa"

At first one wants to laugh, it’s like, wait what? Then he starts singing, and it’s, I guess he’s really gonna go through with this? And then, THAT VOICE! And as tacky as the idea is of covering this one, I’m suddenly being moved and swept away, and no, it’s not because of the panpipes!

Away, I’d like to fly away

Just like a swan who’s been and gone

A man who’s trapped here on the ground

He gives the earth

a sorrowful sound
a sorrowful sound.’

:cool:

Edit: in the set list print out when this song was played, instead of its
proper title, he used the lyric ‘i’d rather be a hammer than a nail’ as it’s title. So maybe, at that moment at least, this line may have been what spoke the most strongly to him, or he just preferred it over it’s right title.

Btw, I think this song would have been nice if sandwiched somewhere on World Peace.

Last edited:
He didn't sing it as badly as he said he'd do:). It is pleasant enough, but I also had fun seeing Dude again and seeing Gustavo play that pan-pipe or flute.

We've had live only cover versions on the list before (Alone Again (Naturally)). This was based on the Wiki list and I left in everything that's available in some recorded form. If we only did released songs I would have had to remove songs like Kit And Striptease With A Difference as well... I believe Morrissey always chooses the songs he covers very consciously, so I think they're worth discussing, but feel free to modify the list as you like - this was your idea after all!

As for the song itself, I think he sings it beautifully and it must have been a special moment.
BookishBoy could do The Smiths A-Z also and you could create a list. Money Changes Everything is the only one that’s not on The Smiths lyrics wiki list. I guess it could follow on from Morrissey A-Z.

BookishBoy could do The Smiths A-Z also and you could create a list. Money Changes Everything is the only one that’s not on The Smiths lyrics wiki list. I guess it could follow on from Morrissey A-Z.
Money Changes Everything has no lyrics.

I am amazed that I missed that song until now; very good rendition.

Last edited:
Money Changes Everything has no lyrics.
Yeah, but neither do The Draize Train or Oscillate Wildly and both are on the Wiki lyrics list 😉 Morrissey's credited for Oscillate Wildly but not the other two instrumentals, although he probably named or at least inspired the names of all three of them.

Today's entry in the A-Z is the live performance of "El Cóndor Pasa" from his show in Lima in December 2015. (The Wikipedia entry on this song's history is good stuff, particularly around the Paul Simon misunderstanding / court case about the copyright of the original song.)
LTTP...
Strangely enough, Richard Strauss did the same thing as Paul Simon when he incorporated the song 'Funiculi, Funicula' into one of his tone poems, thinking it was a traditional Italian folk song. Alas, it had been composed just a few years earlier and the song's composer similarly sued Strauss.

:thumb:

Incredible performance by Moz.:rock:

the lawnmowers would never have been able to perform this type of music.😐

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom