Morrissey A-Z: "I Am Hated for Loving"

That’s a rarity. I can’t remember him ever mentioning a song or an album that he likes.
He often used to post videos of himself playing the guitar
Think he did “Sweet Boy” complete with lyrics
Either way, he likes to make out he’s a professional musician. He’s in actual fact, clueless:

I love this one too.

Thinking Patsy Cline could have done this one justice.

Lillywhite’s touch, to put it simply, he sculpted a daydream. Perfection.

The hypnotic repetition in the music
emphasizes the dream like quality of it, a lovely melancholic country drone, upon which, a lonely voice must air it’s woes.

And speaking of voices, and not to say that Morrissey’s voice was inaudible on prior recordings, but on Vauxhall for the first time Morrissey is up front and present,
felt and intimate, finally a vocal that
points to Morrissey’s unique solo-ness, thanks to Lillywhite for that.

Also on Vauxhall, and especially on this song, you can here the shifting
of the Moz bling, I mean the jewelry he was wearing around this time captured by the mic and use of compression. It’s great that they decided to leave it in, when it could have been gated out or edited.

haunted for dreaming ...

Last edited:
He often used to post videos of himself playing the guitar
Think he did “Sweet Boy” complete with lyrics
Either way, he likes to make out he’s a professional musician. He’s in actual fact, clueless:
I have picked up on the cluelessness. 😏

Interesting to see how opinions differ through this whole A-Z project. I've certainly been sour on songs that others loved.

I think it's a gorgeous and touching song and its placement after WDYFOFY works so well.

Vauxhall is definitely in my top 3 Morrissey albums but I'm curious to see how the discussion goes on some of my least favorite tracks like "Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning" & "Used to Be a Sweet Boy".

Anonymous call, a poison pen
A brick in the ah
A brick in the small of the back again
I still don't belong
To anyone, I am mine

Last edited:
Surprised at how little love this song is getting - I think it's one of the best on the album. The guitar riff is one of the best things Alain ever wrote, and the production is incredible. It's easy to imagine how this could have been recorded with the standard live band sound, with stronger guitars, drums etc - it would have still been a good song, but the decision to pull everything back and do it in a more laid back way makes the whole thing incredibly atmospheric. I suspect Jonny Bridgwood and Woodie Taylor had a lot to do with this, and probably don't get the credit they deserve. As much as I love both Spencer and Gary, they clearly weren't quite suitable for this album.

Speaking of the rhythm section, did Gary and Spencer contribute anything creatively to the Vauxhall demos? I know they were sacked by Morrissey prior to the recording of the album but I've always wondered if they worked on any of the songs with Boz/Alain. For instance, if the opening bass riff in Spring-Heeled Jim was entirely created by Bridgewood or if it was an idea lying around from Gaz, etc.

This pearl is in my top five. An absolute wonder that will always be part of the soundtrack of my life. I was just 20, in love for the first time. I was standing at the end of the last wagon of a train, looking at the rails sliding backwards, and this song was playing in my earphones. I'll never forget that moment.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom