Morrissey A-Z: "I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday"

As much a fan as I am of Alain and Boz, the fact that Nevin wrote both this and 'You're Gonna Need Someone on Your Side' definitely gives me the feeling that Morrissey dumped him as a co-songwriter far too quickly. Even if he only ended up contributing a couple of songs per album, we might still have got a few classics along the way.
Was Mark Nevin at all part of the Your Arsenal album recording or were his 2 songs written during the Kill Uncle era? I guess sacking Nevin was a strong vote of confidence in Alain & Boz.

Oh I disagree. Tomorrow is a fantastic ending. I Know is the end of the movie, Tomorrow is the rock song over the end credits as you're getting up to leave (I LOVE when albums do this.) It works perfectly for me and it fits the feel of the rest of the album really well. After all these up tempo rock songs with a lot of wit and character studies and distractions, we end on one about just how damn miserable he is with no bones about it, really. Also it's just an awesome song.
Actually, I can agree with the movie metaphor. I think it’s really the strongest argument for placing it second to last. I’ve thought about it myself from time to time, but ultimately leaned more towards that having it as a closer would be better. But I’m not sure that’s the best way. You make a strong point!

Was Mark Nevin at all part of the Your Arsenal album recording or were his 2 songs written during the Kill Uncle era? I guess sacking Nevin was a strong vote of confidence in Alain & Boz.
In Mozipedia, Nevin claims Boz came round to his and asked for the chords to one of/both of these songs, and that's when he knew he was out.

Yes.

His songs were written after the Kill Uncle era and Morrissey only chose two for the album. The unwanted songs were instead used by Kirsty MacColl on her Titanic Days album.

Yes.

His songs were written after the Kill Uncle era and Morrissey only chose two for the album. The unwanted songs were instead used by Kirsty MacColl on her Titanic Days album.
This song in particular sounds like it was initially intended for Morrissey. Love the guitar line on this, and Kirsty's vocal, but it's tempting to imagine what Moz might have done with it.

This song in particular sounds like it was initially intended for Morrissey. Love the guitar line on this, and Kirsty's vocal, but it's tempting to imagine what Moz might have done with it.

Yeah, this sounds like it would have been a good fit for Morrissey. If nothing else, Nevin's songs might have made for stronger b-sides than what we got from Your Arsenal's singles. Aside from "Let the Right One Slip In," I don't recall too many standouts.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom