Morrissey A-Z: "I Know Very Well How I Got My Name"

BookishBoy

Today's song is this Morrissey/Street composition, originally a B-side on the "Suedehead" single and later included on the HMV/Parlophone Singles compilation.

What do we think of this one?

I'll go out on a limb here and say that while this whole song is perfect, the way that Morrissey sings "You think you were my first love / You think you were my first love, but you're wrong / You were the only one / Who's come and gone" is one of the saddest and most beautiful things in popular music.

Always loved this one. Beautiful guitar from Vini turns this into more of a Durutti Column track in spirit (which is in no way a bad thing), with the wistful yet pained vocals from Moz. Very simple, but it's extremely effective.
9/10

I always wanted to understand "Web(ster) 13 years old, who dyed his hair gold" in this wonderful little pastiche, that Morrissey seemed to be able to design with somnambulistic certainty in 1987. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful....to heaven with it!

Under 2 minutes but says so much. proof that Morrissey b-sides can stand alongside Smiths b-sides in terms of quality. i love this song, always reminded me of Bewlay Brothers by Bowie a bit (although not a lot)

I'll go out on a limb here and say that while this whole song is perfect, the way that Morrissey sings "You think you were my first love / You think you were my first love, but you're wrong / You were the only one / Who's come and gone" is one of the saddest and most beautiful things in popular music.
It's timeless and perfect in the same way that "Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want" is (and both under 2 mins). To add anything more would only detract... no need for it to go another minute with Morrissey repeating "come and gone" 20 times (yes, I'm taking a swipe at later song writing).

nice little laid back love song,perfect in its running time.
8 hows/10 names.

Although I kind of agree with what Bookish says about the “you think you were...” part, this has never been a favorite song of mine. I rarely feel like playing it, and I can’t really say why that is. I should adore it, I just don’t. That said, I still like it. No question about that.

💕

That's all.

Pointless to even pretend to be vaguely analytical or rational about this.

A lovely little song and it certainly wouldn't have been out of place had it appeared on Bona Drag. That said, songs like this and Sister, I'm a Poet seemed even more special because you had to search a bit harder to find them.

In the poll on the Hoffman board this ranked 56th from 264 solo songs.

Today's song is this Morrissey/Street composition, originally a B-side on the "Suedehead" single and later included on the HMV/Parlophone Singles compilation.

What do we think of this one?

I’m thinking

what are you going to do when we get to the last song???

As for this song well; this song is very nice. :love:

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom