Morrissey A-Z: "I'd Love To"

BookishBoy

Today's song is a Morrissey/Boorer composition, originally a B-side on the "The More You Ignore Me..." single.

What do we think of this one?

A fine b-side, but it’s clearly unfinished. The chord progression is fine but nothing special, and the song lapses into the slow, dreamy endings of the extended “Interlude” and “Moonriver”, without really getting to a place where the build seems worthwhile or necessary. Not one I return to often, just because I’d much rather listen to the finished articles on Vauxhall itself.
5/10

a typical M song,very dreamy,builds towards the end,is this the first time military drumming was used in a M song.
7 love/10 to.
the link on the above video took me to the miraval sessions,the southpaw version is a thing of beauty.heard the sessions before but forgot how good they were.

Last edited:
Time’s gonna wipe us out. 10/10

It has always sounded more like a Street song than a Boorer one. It wouldn't sound out of place as a b-side of one of the early singles. Morrissey's understated vocal is particularly attractive and I can even forgive the slightly self-indulgent last couple of minutes.

beautiful beautiful song, one of my all time favourites. one of Morrissey's timeless b-sides, up there with changed my plea 10/10

[MEDIA = youtube] oL85yzDJ4Q0 [/ MEDIA]

La canción de hoy es una composición de Morrissey / Boorer, originalmente una cara B del sencillo "The More You Ignore Me ...".

¿Qué pensamos de este?My sweet sweet Moz !!!I love him Oh Moz

It's beautiful. In the Top 3 of Boz's for me.
I've played this to a few non Morrissey fans who really like this. For a B Side it's outstanding.

More atmospheric than melodic, I can see why this song wasn't included on V&I. But the dreamy music fits the mood of the words, and I find Morrissey's voice very compelling. It's a "like" for me.

Doesn't go anywhere, but I don't know whether it necessarily wants to. Love this one.

It has always sounded more like a Street song than a Boorer one. It wouldn't sound out of place as a b-side of one of the early singles. Morrissey's understated vocal is particularly attractive and I can even forgive the slightly self-indulgent last couple of minutes.

As well as the early version of Jack The Ripper, which was included on the Certain People I Know EP

One of his most beautiful songs. Touches, wraps its fingers around your heart and squeezes out tears. Only he can sing like this and write this way 💘

Absolutely love this song. It's heavenly. One of Boz's very finest co-writes.
It also amuses me a little that with the trance/chance lyric, he's used the same rhyming scheme as Abba's When I Kissed The Teacher!

I love this one. 10/10 Looking at the lyrics they're very compact but powerful, reduced to the essence. "Time is gonna wipe us out" but "time will never wipe you out." To me this is about the transitory nature of life but also about some eternal reality. He has found this person in this place and time through fate or chance out of all the infinite possibilities.
I think the sound really adds to this feeling, something larger and outside of this life that is manifesting temporarily and offering a chance to make this connection that is mystical.

Now we’re f***ing talking. I’ve adored this one since I first heard it back in, I think, 2002 or early 2003, and I think it might be Morrissey’s greatest love song. To me, it’s up there with his best work and it’s definitely a top 3 b-side. Neither before nor since has he ever sounded this...in love. Nor has he ever made anything as atmospheric as this. As you can tell by these rambling thoughts, I am consumed by emotion. This is no time for intellectual thought.

A lovely little b-side and Boz made some very strong contributions during this period. He co-wrote 6 of the 12 originals released in 1994, if my maths is correct, and they are generally excellent.

During most eras this would easily have been good enough to make an album.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 106th from 264 solo songs.

Embarrassingly, I recall thinking this song was boring when I first heard it as a B-side.

But it's grown on me so much over the years: it's just a simple, gorgeous, heartbreaking song - actually quite difficult to listen to, it makes me remember specific emotional events with such power.

(I know what you mean, Dale...)

Her initials were DMH. This lyric was my side of a conversation with her in a conversation with her in the very early hours of a Saturday morning after the kind of Friday night that dreams are made of, when the stars FINALLY align.

This is one of his very finest songs.

PS. As I recall this was the extra track on TMYIMTCIG 12" . The B-Side was Used To Be A Sweet Boy wasn't it?

Not sure why 2 versions of it exist, but everyone loves a mystery eh?
To me, it seems like a song the potential fool in Seasick, Yet Still Docked might have earned had they not passed by.
Great track and yes, 12" B-side to TMYIMTCIG.
Regards,
FWD.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom