Morrissey A-Z: "I'd Love To"

Most of the time Morrissey doesn't stand out on the radio because the greatness is in the details, the way he expresses the emotion, a biting line... you have to listen.

This is just gorgeous, but you could easily overlook it.

Actually a demo (similar to "Now my heart is full") by Boorer, to which Morrissey develops a dream-like vocal motif (including Alain in the background). A fascinating little sketch. I was so taken with the synthetic strings and keyboards that Boorer used in 1993/94, that I looked a while ago to see which artists he had used this with in the mid-nineties. Besides the really good record with Adam Ant, there was the collaboration with Christy MaColl. "Perefct Day" clearly benefits from Boorer's influence, but there were also a few B-sides that used similar keyboard figures. Definitely a highlight in Morrissey's B-side career.

Of the two different mixes, the UK version is much better, super dreamy and atmospheric. The version released in the US isn't as strong in my opinion, but they are different enough that everyone should hear both versions to compare.

She's not credited anywhere, but that's surely Kirsty Macoll on all those layered backing vocals at the end, right? It sure sounds like her.

A song like a summer dream.
Ethereal & elusive.

Great song. A little wide eyed and pensive at the same time. For whatever reason I wished the last ten seconds crescendoed with a louder sudden noise. Imo it would would make a wonderful opening track

Though retrospectively I fell for Your Arsenal, I never liked Morrissey when he tried/tries to rock. I just feel it doesn't suit him as he'd love to (pun intended). So when the single came out and I bought the CD single (!) in 1994 I was relieved and lifted at the same time by this sound.

For a long while I read 'Time is gonna wipe us out' as referring to two people, as in a relationship. But now I'm thinking Morrissey is just talking about himself, and using 'us' in the same northern slang way he does elsewhere as a substitute for 'me'. (eg Give 'us' a drink, and make it quick).

So in this reading, he will be erased by time, but the person he's talking about won't be?

Must be the traditionalist in me, but I love sonic and thematic cohesion within the context of an album and this song is just so of Vauxhall: dreamy, atmospheric, melancholy. When the "The More You Ignore Me..." single is taken as a whole work, you get the dark humor and levity of unrequited love on the a-side, then this earnest and heartbreaking lament on the flip. In that respect, it almost feels like a demonstration of public display and private contemplation. Just beautiful.

I find it impossible to fault this song. I’ve played it at every stage of my life, and whatever is going on, it always resonates. As close to perfect as it’s possible to be.

Lyrics query: does Morrissey really sing "because of waste" in the first line? I know those are the lyrics printed in 'My Early Burglary Years', but printed lyrics don't always follow what is actually on the record.

From the day it came out in 94, I'd always heard the first line as "...I cried because of ways I'd love to - but only with you". I still can't really hear a hard 'T' there. It seems to make more sense as one flowing line, than a sudden full stop after waste. Or am I just going insane?

Lyrics query: does Morrissey really sing "because of waste" in the first line? I know those are the lyrics printed in 'My Early Burglary Years', but printed lyrics don't always follow what is actually on the record.

From the day it came out in 94, I'd always heard the first line as "...I cried because of ways I'd love to - but only with you". I still can't really hear a hard 'T' there. It seems to make more sense as one flowing line, than a sudden full stop after waste. Or am I just going insane?
"Waste" is undoubtedly an error.

"Waste" is undoubtedly an error.

Yeah, it's definitely 'ways'.

Although the most hilarious 'misheard' (ahem) lyric I've ever encountered is mentioned by David Bret in his trash book, who quotes the first line as 'Gay, I lay awake...'.

Yeah, it's definitely 'ways'.

Although the most hilarious 'misheard' (ahem) lyric I've ever encountered is mentioned by David Bret in his trash book, who quotes the first line as 'Gay, I lay awake...'.
I was going to bring this up but didn't have the energy to. I actually think about that all the time, it's so hilariously dumb.

I was going to bring this up but didn't have the energy to. I actually think about that all the time, it's so hilariously dumb.

You and me both.

"Too gay, can't sleep."
Happens to the best of us.

Last edited:
Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom