Morrissey A-Z: "Knockabout World"

Never understood the hype about a song, where Morrissey's music and vocal hook sound like a mediocre young mainstream pop star circa 1987. Stock-Aitken-Waterman don't reunite and never ever take over again.

Last edited:
I love this one but I have to separate the actual song from some of the meaning I have seen attributed to it. Sometimes people who are "turned into a public target" are long overdue for it and other times it's "trial by twitter" or whatever.
I hate that so much noise from the political world seems to affect culture but, again, the song is open to interpretation and it's about triumph over adversity. Can't be against that. I really like the vocals and the music is different and interesting.
The sound of the whole record has been described as kind of "retro" electronica but whatever. The point is that Morrissey is still looking into new areas of sound for himself and that's a good thing. I love the Dog record and this is a pretty good song. I don't want to give a backhanded compliment but for my own taste the last few records had lowered expectations and this was a really exciting "comeback" in my opinion.

Also, everything he's saying here, he could be singing it to himself.

My god I adore this song.

Perhaps it's a sign of my fragile mental health and/or slight Morrissey dependency, but whatever: that last bit, where he sings "You're OK by me" (yes, I know his voice has been "massaged" by studio trickery and yes as a lyric by itself it's utterly prosaic) is one of the most gorgeous, comforting, uplifting things I've ever heard. A self-esteem anthem for anyone who feels a bit battered and bruised by life.

A true modern classic, showing Moz’s willingness to go outside of his comfort zone and embrace electronics. Excellent production and an ear worm hook snakes between admittedly thin lyrics - but, look, it’s a pop song, we shouldn’t really be expecting novel-worthy prose, should we? Despite this, I adore the line “you’re OK by me”: critics, when reviewing the album, didn’t seem to pick up on (or, perhaps more likely, ignored) the rays of empathy bursting out from many of these songs. I would file that line along with the title track’s “otherwise you’ll never know / all you are and all that you can do”. So, yes, this song is brilliant: if only it had a proper single release...sigh.
10/10

very good song from a very good album.his voice is strong,the song is well produced.
9 congratulations/10 ok by me.

What a great pop song this is. Melodic and just crystal clear. Should have been the lead single. Should have gotten some real promotion. And like Bookish said, it really lifts you up. The compassionate, warm Mozzer is the real Mozzer.

My god I adore this song.

Perhaps it's a sign of my fragile mental health and/or slight Morrissey dependency, but whatever: that last bit, where he sings "You're OK by me" (yes, I know his voice has been "massaged" by studio trickery and yes as a lyric by itself it's utterly prosaic) is one of the most gorgeous, comforting, uplifting things I've ever heard. A self-esteem anthem for anyone who feels a bit battered and bruised by life.
Amen.

Great song from Moz, very up-lifting, love it. I prefer this vid tho.

Last edited by a moderator:
2 things I never thought I'd see: Cliff Richard asked to support a Morrissey gig and a Morrissey song having veiled references to Cliff (his court case final settlement being just prior to Dog's release).
Regards,
FWD.

2 things I never thought I'd see: Cliff Richard asked to support a Morrissey gig and a Morrissey song having veiled references to Cliff (his court case final settlement being just prior to Dog's release).
Regards,
FWD.
We may well be coming to another song with veiled references to Cliff in a couple of weeks. ;)

Indeed, a warm and uplifting pop song. And for once I don't mind the lack of words, less is better here. We know what he is referring to and don't need to hear more. (Anyway, he already vented his anger on the title track).

We may well be coming to another song with veiled references to Cliff in a couple of weeks. ;)
Well, indeed.
This is a bit more overt than another of his songs using a Cliff song title in it though maybe?
Regards,
FWD.

showbiz-cliff-081165.jpg

Oh you handsome dentals...

The beginning reminds me of 80's synth pop (Yazoo or something like that). I do like "BTW You're ok by me" part. This song belongs to the better half of The Dog album. I would rate this on 7/10

A very good tune and an even better vocal melody. Rather like the track that we discussed a couple of days ago, it's the kind of song that really should be the opening single for an album.

It ranked 50th from 264 solo songs in the poll on the Hoffman board.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom