Morrissey A-Z: "Lucky Lisp"

Imagine thinking Morrissey wasn't aware of the double entendre (to put it mildly) when writing this...

Maybe Morrissey is that too, when he says there's a really strong sexual component to pop music and so on.
Morrissey? Sexual? Nah fairly sure Reel Around the Fountain is just about dancing /s

It is natural that we assume Morrissey's songs are about sex and/or homosexuality and/or Johnny Marr because we know a lot of them are, but I think a lot of his songs don't really have a deeper meaning and sometimes we can try to read too much into them.

It is natural that we assume Morrissey's songs are about sex and/or homosexuality and/or Johnny Marr because we know a lot of them are, but I think a lot of his songs don't really have a deeper meaning and sometimes we can try to read too much into them.
And sometimes we're really blind.

Even when it's under your nose
Well, you just can't
See it, can you?

I think for double entendre to work effectively, it needs some connection to actual known slang/imagery rather than a preconceived agenda superimposed over a set of words to make it 'fit'.
I do not believe gurgling from circles or roaring from stalls is remotely anything used in gay parlance whatsoever and certainly not something Morrissey would use in everyday communication nor know as 'common alternative terms for x'.
Nor 9 leaf clovers (I'd love an actual source for that).
Let me guess, 'balcony fool' has a coded meaning too?
Let's not forget 'down on you'...
Add to this, not one person reviewing or discussing this song at the time it was released took the view that Morrissey was trying to communicate choking on a shlong through a glory hole... 🙄
Yet, it's obvious right?
I don't dispute the existence of coded imagery and the such, but it's a reach sometimes (no entendre intended).
FWD.

To clarify, I was referring to the title. I don't think the song is actually about glory holes and being gay.
But I think Morrissey was aware that a "lisp" is associated with the speech patterns of gay men (having a lisp himself) and it's possible that this played into the lyrics. I also think he sometimes uses puns that aren't necessarily obvious to most people (almost like inside jokes that only he understands), something I also remember from some interviews.

Last edited:
I like both interpretations. And I lean more towards one or the other depending on how straight or gay I’m feeling at the moment.

:cool:

Morrissey hasn't mentioned being gay for two years - so he can't be.

& there was no erection anyway.

Of course. Quoting Wikipedia: "Gay male speech, particularly within North American English, has been the focus of numerous modern stereotypes, as well as sociolinguistic studies. Scientific research has uncovered phonetically significant features produced by many gay men and demonstrated that listeners accurately guess speakers' sexual orientation at rates greater than chance.[1] One feature of the speech is sometimes known as the "gay lisp", though researchers acknowledge that it is not technically a lisp".

So that's the "cue" I guess. When that special gift of gayness emerges, you just really know the narrator will 'roll' from the understalls and gurgle from the 'golden circle' and the bud will blossom. So this is really a very positive gay anthem. It's fitting to have this song discussed during the 'Gay lives matter'-month
"That Special Gift of Gayness" would definitely be a far better title for his new LP.

We leave behind the L's with this Morrissey/Street composition, originally a B-side of "The Last of the Famous International Playboys" and also included on the Bona Drag compilation album (as well as others, subsequently).

What do we think of this one?

I haven't read any of the comments, so if repeat, Im sorry .

I adore this song and its M in full glory.
It's what he was about to a large degree. The song is simple in form but has a fantastic vocal . The words are clever to the core and subject matter is a Dirk Bogarde film .
Some could argue it was one of the more explicit coming out "humansexual" songs- "oh the balcony fool was me, you fool" (if you don't know, you don't know.If you get you are in the club)

Is Morrissey writing about himself here? His own lisp is pretty noticeable at times.
That could be. The fellow is also likely Irish with the mention of lucky, clover, saints & Jesus.

I like to think it's about anyone who uses a seeming disadvantage to their advantage.

And pretty sure I always assumed when younger that the Irish fellow was gay, because two other songs on Bona Drag are definitely gay themed and two others could be. But that never defined the greater message of empowerment for me.

Christ, this thread. I just thought "Lucky Lisp" was about Moz looking forward to a friend's moment in the spotlight. Saints, Jesus, "Your Grandma's omen" - a guy with Catholic heritage. I wondered if it was about James Maker and his (unsuccessful) attempts to make it in the music industry.

Christ, this thread. I just thought "Lucky Lisp" was about Moz looking forward to a friend's moment in the spotlight. Saints, Jesus, "Your Grandma's omen" - a guy with Catholic heritage. I wondered if it was about James Maker and his (unsuccessful) attempts to make it in the music industry.
Nope, it's about inspecting someone's anus in the darkened balcony of a theater.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom